So, don't OC with a 7800GT

SubKamran

Reaction score
At least, not with my setup:

AMD64 3200+ Venice
Abit Kn8-SLI
OCZ PC3200 1GB DDR
eVGA 7800GT 256MB

Yah, you're video card will declock itself under load if you OC the [CPU] processor. Found that out after 4 weeks of troubleshooting and emailing eVGA. Stupid thing... oh well, now it's been working fine.

Mmmm, Morrowind + 1680x1050 Widescreen + 2xAA, 16xAF + Morrowind Visual Packs + World of Faces = FTW

OC = bad. Especially if you have a shit PSU with unstable rails and bad vent or not water cooling. Don't do it unless you know what your doing. It generally isn't worth the effort and makes your rig unstable...last thing you want when playing a game is for it to shut down.

Glirk Dient said:
OC = bad. Especially if you have a shit PSU with unstable rails and bad vent or not water cooling.
BS

I have a stable 1GHz overclock on my processor (2.4 to 3.4) on air cooling with Arctic Silver. And my video card (6800GT) OCed with stock cooling.
No temp problems if you just do it little steps at a time.

OC only = bad when some fool is like "I'm going to overclock my processor by 500MHz with it's tinny heatsink and no fan"

WhiteZero said:
BS

I have a stable 1GHz overclock on my processor (2.4 to 3.4) on air cooling with Arctic Silver. And my video card (6800GT) OCed with stock cooling.
No temp problems if you just do it little steps at a time.

hes saying OC'ing is bad with the 7800 not your noob set up

dantewilliams said:
hes saying OC'ing is bad with the 7800 not your noob set up
Funny, he did say that at all. Seemed like a general tip. And if he did, it's not my fault he didnt specify.

Watch your mouth and the hallow "noob" insults.
-.-

WhiteZero said:
Funny, he did say that at all. Seemed like a general tip. And if he did, it's not my fault he didnt specify.

Watch your mouth and the hallow "noob" insults.
-.-

UHHH He did specify its in the title. And post counts dont make you godly around here, they just mean you need to get out side lol:cheese:

My GTX doesn't overclock well at all. It artifacts at 470mhz which is just 10mhz over stock, but meh.

Umm, dante? WhiteZero was referring to Glirk Dient's statement. And Glirk said nothing whatsoever about a 7800 (this is SubKamran's thread). So think a little bit the next time you post.

dantewilliams said:
UHHH He did specify its in the title. And post counts dont make you godly around here, they just mean you need to get out side lol:cheese:
No, but brain function gives me rep enough.
Did you even bother to see who I was quoting in my original post?

And did I mention anything about post count?
Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not some 13 year old that thinks his post count makes him "l337". However, around here and on most fourms out there, people tend to have a little more respect for senior members. Atleased more respect than to chuck half-baked insults at them.
Try reading and thinking before you post, young grasshoppa'.
:thumbs:

I am 90% certain it is because of my motherboard... it's shit for gaming; it won't let me run my OCz EL PC3200 1GB DDR at DDR400 because I'm using all four slots. It also doesn't do Dual Channel. With my setup I get about 7080 3dMarks in 3dmark05; 3413 in 3dMark06.

So yah, I bet if you got an Asus A8N SLI or a Gigabyte KN8 (or whatever) it would be fine (and run better).

I really should replace the mobo, but my return window is closed... I can only get it RMA'd.

Oh well, at max settings (except view distance), MW never dips below 25 and is average 50. BF2 at maxed, 2xAA, 16xAF, 1680x1050 runs steady at 50-70fps.

Oh and just to clarify, it was OC the CPU, not GPU. I could OC my GPU if I wanted to... but it's a step system. meaning, you have to get above a certain level and the card will be steady from that level to the next. FOr example:

445 stock
so, we'd only see improvement, let's say, if I went up 10mhz. Anything between 445 and 455 would be the same performance.

Remeber step functions from Pre-Calc or Algebra 2? Yah, that's what the OC'ing is like for 7800GTs.

Nah I said you shouldn't OC if you don't know what your doing and generally OCing with air cooling isn't worth it if you don't know what your doing because you can easily OC slightly too much and cause your comp to become unstable or OC too little and won't even notice the difference. You probally want to read a few guides so you know what your doing.

Glirk Dient said:
Nah I said you shouldn't OC if you don't know what your doing and generally OCing with air cooling isn't worth it if you don't know what your doing because you can easily OC slightly too much and cause your comp to become unstable or OC too little and won't even notice the difference. You probally want to read a few guides so you know what your doing.
/agree

dantewilliams said:

You post on:

The Internet
On a forum
On a Video Game Forum
On a Hardware section

Do you, sir, have any shens of irony?

I lost an FX-55 to overclocking... Had to use an 800mhz Duron for 6 months to save up to buy anouther FX

you = stupid. If I had an FX-55 I would f*cking put it on a SHRINE. OCing? Shame on you.

Back