So retail hl2=steam hl2??

scarecrow1

Reaction score
i dont get it-i just got my hl2 dvd collectors edition and it installs just like as if i was playing halflife2 over steam, essentailly it is the same damn thing right? what difference-u still need to start steam to play retail halflife-no offline play, if so how? whats the deal here?

Start steam in Offline mode.

Play HL2.

Simple as that.

The only time I've seen offline mode is when I booted my computer when my internet was down. It asks you.

so the only difference between retail and steam version is that with retail u just install steam with the steam files of hl2. with the steam version i had to download each preload inidivudally ...correct?

I mean its different to the retail version of hl1 and the steam version of hl1. retail has its own folder and files, retail hl2 has the same cfg files as steam meaning exactky the same!!!

am i right?

You are right indeed; I was sort of agitated by this. My HL2 doesn’t work in offline mode BTW, Or maybe that was because I tried to do it with out waiting to download an update after a 1 hour install (I blame nav for scanning every stinking' file, of course I couldn’t turn it off or the install would be aborted...odd stuff) and then the unlocking of the files. I paid for the game I installed it why do I have to unlock it via the internet?* and then wait for an update? Ahh well it is after all just a game. Though I have to say I expected it when I saw "internet connection required" on the box, but that still was a dissappointmen

*This was a rhetorical question I know the answer I was just whining ;)

In order to do offline mode click the save all user data or somesuch button and then click offline mode or if you cant find it simply disonnect yourself from the internet.

do u use or need the dvd disc to play the game? cause right now it doesnt do anything-even the music is now controlled by the game, not by the cd like hl1, just wondering?

I think that HL2 has some form of Securerom on it so you may need it to start the game but after that.. No.

scarecrow1 said:
do u use or need the dvd disc to play the game? cause right now it doesnt do anything-even the music is now controlled by the game, not by the cd like hl1, just wondering?
hl1 didnt play music from the cd
it was all in the folders.

Back