So... who here knows about the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R?

Lifthz

Reaction score
It's an open-ended RPG game mixed with FPS. And it has the best graphics/graphics engine ever. It will have environmental interaction similar (possibly end up better) to Half-Life 2's, A.I. will actually LIVE (ala. Fable(xbox)). The 60% of the game's world (both indoor AND outdoors) is modelled directly after a real life location called Chernobyl (Russia), however the game is set in the far future and things are taken into consideration (such as the condition of the whole place and etc.

Real Life Photo (top), In-game shot (bottom)
gs6.JPG

Find out more about this game: http://www.stalker-game.com

In-game (DX9 render... these are only 3 of the oh too few shots of the game running in DX9)
http://www.gamedev***/articles/indust/20030612_9.jpg

http://www.gamedev***/articles/indust/20030612_5.jpg

http://www.gamedev***/articles/indust/20030612_8.jpg

In-engine guns:
http://www.gamedev***/articles/indust/20030612_1.jpg

The game will have vehicles also:

(ehm.... in-game shots)
ov_moskvich.jpg

btr.jpg

kamaz.jpg

mi24.jpg

Yeah I just read about that in PCGamer, it does look awsome. Only bad thing about it is that it's still a year out from release.

Well, actually the developers have been saying that the game is scheduled for late this year. I don't know where you got that from.

However, personally I think it will be delayed until early this year. This game is just the most ambitious shit ever....

I took a look in my PCGamer and STALKER isn't even on the list for games to come.
That first picture is just so cool, it's amazingly realistic.

yeah.. this game is going to be kick ass.. cant wait to play it or buy it!

Originally posted by A.A
I took a look in my PCGamer and STALKER isn't even on the list for games to come.
That first picture is just so cool, it's amazingly realistic.

Magazines, websites aren't too reliable for release dates. I don't know though. It's definitely not late next year... it's either late this year or early next year.

Why would there only be 3 screenshots in DX9 mode?

A.A.
Look on page page 30 of PCGamer on the lefthand side.

So...who here cares about the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R?

Well, you guys could be ignorant if you want to be. Noone cares about that. Hehehe. Although you might possibly be eating your words when this game comes out.

Half-Life 2 is of course a better "feeling" because we already have an idea how good Half-Life 2 can be...

Originally posted by jhero
Why would there only be 3 screenshots in DX9 mode?

Well, they worked on the DX7/8 render first, the DX9 render they started recently and don't want to show too much of it yet for some reason.

There are a couple more DX9 screens, but I didn't post them.

Chernobyl is one crappy place to be (or was in the 80´s)

Is this game about Chernobyl or what?

Originally posted by Majestic XII
Chernobyl is one crappy place to be (or was in the 80´s)

Is this game about Chernobyl or what?

Yes. Based on a combination of the real life events, the movie, and the book... and it's in the future.

60% of the game is modelled directly from real life. Indoors and outdoors.

Here are the other DX9 shots.

http://www.gamedev***/articles/indust/20030612_4.jpg

I'm not sure if this one is in the DX9 render, but this one is using a post processing effect (there are various of these effects that happen if the player nears an "anomolly zone" in the game) http://www.gamedev***/articles/indust/20030612_3.jpg

Jebus, thats one hell of a good looking game!:D, I remember seen tech videos of it on IGN, the player comes across a HUGE wodden frame, shots the bottom off and it comes down and falls VERY realisticly. Ill try and find em for yous lot :)

^^^

Yes, that's the beginning of the development of the physics.

Yes it doeas look good. For reference, the plot concerns various treasure hunters (or 'stalkers') who go into the chernobyl area (where there was a huge nuclear accident in the 80's if you didn't know) to recover lost peices of technology, mankind having regressed post-apocalypse.

Theres a game called Xenus also being published by GSC that seems to be very identical to STALKER.

For those of you who havent seen the small teaser video/s for this game yet..here they are.

This is cammed, from e3 i think, only 2.3 mb
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/gamershell//movie/stalker_ingame_cammed_E3.zip

Found this on official site, goes through outside environments: 40.3mb
ftp://3dgamers.in-span.net/pub/3dgamers3/games/oblivionlost/stalker_engine_large.avi

hope you havent seen these before :)

EDIT:
Originally posted by simmo2k3
Jebus, thats one hell of a good looking game!:D, I remember seen tech videos of it on IGN, the player comes across a HUGE wodden frame, shots the bottom off and it comes down and falls VERY realisticly. Ill try and find em for yous lot :)
Go find it boy! :D

Wish they would bring out modding tools..but sadly they will only release map tools... :(

Xenus is more like old russian game codename outbreak, it's actually nothing like Stallker, the graphics being shite among other things.

New vid out tomorrow and it will contain all the major features of the current build version of the game.

3dzone-bg: Funniest bug occurred during development?

On the early stages of development the rag doll animation was a bit funny in places. If you killed a stalker he would fall with his legs wrapped around his neck (like yoga guy) and his eyes blinking. It was quite a view I should tell you.

:D

Looks like they just released a new trailer... or at least I think it's new. It's a 47 mb file and was just posted at IGN today.

Yes. It's the stuff that was shown at E3.

The end of the video starting at point 3:47 shows the newly revealed DX9 render of the game. And quite obviously, it blows away the stuff that was shown a second before it... imagine if the whole video was in the DX9 render.

Originally posted by Black Ghost
Theres a game called Xenus also being published by GSC that seems to be very identical to STALKER.

No. They are not related. It's just the same company. The developer team that are making S.T.A.L.K.E.R are the same peoplel who made Codename Outbreak. That too is not in any way related to S.T.A.L.K.E.R either though other than the same developers. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a far different and far more ambitious project.

Originally posted by Sherrill
Wish they would bring out modding tools..but sadly they will only release map tools... :(

Well, this game is not a FPS game... making MOD tools will be much more harder for this open-ended RPG game.

The game has multiplayer though, and A LOT of it. Map makers will be very nice..

I don't actually think that it's even the same guys that made Codename: Outbreak either. It's just the same development studio, but there are different divisions. Because GSC Gameworld has like 5 or so different projects right now, each of them completely seperate.

It's just like many other development studios. Blizzard for example is just like that. A lot of different dev. teams in 1 development studio.

Speaking of Blizzard... i'm so pissed that Blizzard North (the Diablo guys) are no longer with Blizzard. SO pissed... hopefully they get back together themselves though.

Yeah man. Diablo is so great. I was hoping for the first fully 3d Diablo. However I have a feeling the guys will get back together (albeit outside of Blizzard, starting their own company). If so, I think they'll make the "in essence" sequel to Diablo. However they wouldn't be able to use the name Diablo as i'm sure it's owned by Blizzard.

Back