Soldiers: Heroes of World War 2 demo

Zapp$ter

Reaction score
I read a preview of this game in PCZone. It sounded good. I downloaded and played the demo. First impressions, it's bloody hard but I'm finding it surprisingly addictive. I quite like the ability to control units directly, the environment is fairly interactive. Things get really mad after a minute or two, tank shells flying around, dead bodies, craters etc..

Fileplanet

I like it :thumbs:

I found it to be hard too. I have tried it like 4 times now and they don't really give you any explanationas to who is who and what some things mean...like the little white bar with the circular arrow-like thing pointing to it near some objects...what the hell is that?

Those are 'smart cursors' that show you where you soldiers can take cover. IE behind walls, sandbags, destroyed vehicles, buildings, etc. Move them to the corner of an object and they'll lean around it to shoot, protecting themselves.

This game is definitely tough. It took me all day to beat the demo. You think all you have to do is rescue the wounded solider? Think again. It gets worse. The key to the game is playing strategically. Use the anti-armor mines and anit-personell mines in key locations (like the main intersection into town). Use the HE rounds on your sherman to take out buildings with enemy units and the trucks of soliders that show up (you'll take out the truck and everyone in it). Syphon gas from immobilized enemy tanks and trucks. Pick up weapons and ammo from dead enemy soldiers. Make sure to have one of your guys pick up the bazaooka, and aim for the rear of enemy tanks. They don't have health bars, they are modelled with accurate armor and weak spots (rear and sides).

The game is really deep, and really addictive. I can't stop playing it. It's great fun taking one of your guys in direct control, jumping over a stone wall, sprinting to a hill, crouching, and firing a bazooka round into the back of an unsuspecting tank.

Hands down for this game. Rome: Total War has a serious competitor for the title RTS of the year!

This game is so awesome to play, really hard but not ever really frustrating (once you learn the controls). Everything has phyics and can be destroyed. This really adds to the gameplay, armour piercing rounds of tanks aren't just grenades that do more damage to vehicles, but they really pierce everything. They go right through walls and small cars. I've also had my Sherman flipped over by a shell once, cool stuff.

When you first start the demo, it's all a bit awkward, controls require a lot of getting used to and bugs in the demo don't make it any easier. But once you've taken out the Nebelwerfer, things get really fun. You get 2 new british tanks and you have to clear the village. A german machinegun in a house? Doesn't matter, just blow away the frontside of the building. Too bad you can't save in the demo.

I'm so buying this!

Back