Some performance help maybe.. ?

kacation_man

Reaction score
I have an extra system that im running with some fairly low hardware ( and i use low every generously ). Its got an AMD duron ( or maybe a sempron, i dont remember ) clocked at 1.7Ghz, 512mb of ram at 333Mhz, and an Nvidia FX4000.

now.. this thing just barely.. barely runs counter strike ( with low resolution textured skins for the guns installed ) and i still get a frame rate ranging in the 10-25 ( on iceworld ).

now, I know a new graphics card would help this problem significantly but its just not something im going to do right now because this is a test computer im playing around with.

I am running Ubuntu 7.10 currently on it and running counter strike/steam via wine.. now my real questions is this : Would i get better performance out of a windows OS not using wine ( obviously ), or linux running wine?

or is my hardware so old it simply wouldnt make a difference?

css is more cpu intensive. also im not familar with linux so i couldn't really answer that,but buying a new card probably wouldn't improve performance a bunch.

Oh, i know buying a new card would. I've found that performance is based a lot on you cpu, but thats only if you have hardware that is balanced. this graphics card is so old.. i should really have at least a 5200 in it, if that where the case i could probably put it at low and medium with out any kind of performance difference. right now, its running at the lowest resolution, every thing on low, low res textured skins, some scrips I've found to help raise the frame rate ( didnt really work ) and im still only pushing about 15-20 fps. Plus, when i play in a lan server ( hosted from my main pc ) with 2 bots in it. after about 15 mins, it crashes. just the game, i can get back t the desktop ( kinda, i dont know much about linux either ). so I dont know whats up. Im think'n im just gonna put windows on it anyway.

CS Source or CS?
Would make a difference.

Also, are you referring to the FX 4000 (quadro) or was that a miss-type and is it supposed to be MX 4000 (GF2 based)?

Yeah, I was gonna ask...

You want some Baileys? It's creamy.

Mmmm creamy, soft and creamy beige.

I call this one as close as you can get to Baileys without your eyes getting wet!

Lol I love how the older AMD range of CPUs all sound like the names of tampons or something. XD
Anyway, If I was you I wouldn't bother wasting time on that graphics card, it's not like you can buy a normal shitty graphics card for dirt cheap cash.
That graphics card is beyond shitty.

hahah, i know, im using it. and yes, its a FX 4000 P.O.S. I've been trying to find like... a 5200 that wont cost me $50 ( becuase they are still that expensive and seriously not worth that kind of money ).

and yes, its Counter strike source.

But a FX 4000 quadro is based off the 6800 core, a generation newer. It has a lot more power compared to a FX 5200. I guess drivers are not geared for games but I don't see how a FX5200 would be faster.

But a FX 4000 quadro is based off the 6800 core, a generation newer. It has a lot more power compared to a FX 5200. I guess drivers are not geared for games but I don't see how a FX5200 would be faster.

some people think in numbers and not specs.

the quadros are very expensive cards. they are workstation cards and are not what i need.

the quadros are very expensive cards. they are workstation cards and are not what i need.
Right, but you said you had one.

"I have an extra system that im running with some fairly low hardware ( and i use low every generously ). Its got an AMD duron ( or maybe a sempron, i dont remember ) clocked at 1.7Ghz, 512mb of ram at 333Mhz, and an Nvidia FX4000."
google search "Nvidia FX 4000"

ok... but i said nothing about an nvidia fx Quadro 4000... just fx 4000

There's no such thing as an fx 4000, only fx quadro 4000. The only other is MX 4000. Which is probably the only of the two aforementioned cards that would run on that system anyways.

I dont know, geez, it might be a mx 4000, but I told you it was an old system and i never mentioned a Quadro card, so ... what ever, you should have got the idea.

I dont know, geez, it might be a mx 4000, but I told you it was an old system and i never mentioned a Quadro card, so ... what ever, you should have got the idea.

Right-click (desktop) -> Properties -> Settings. We can't help you if we don't know what you have.

Back