Some questions about rabies.

Saturos

Reaction score
...because we just had to kill one of my mum's cats acting violently and irrationally. It was all running around in circles and lunging at everybody who got too close. We didn't want to take any risks with kids around so, I had no choice but to take it down with a .22. (animal control was closed for the holidays) What's the incubation period for the virus, and although I've heard it's not too common during the winter months, is it still possible?

She had too many of them so it was only a matter of time. We had wild raccoons and possums raiding their food so it's possible it (or the other cats) could have gotten into a scuffle with them. Sucks for the cat, but we couldn't take any chances with the possibility for an epidemic.

If there is any chance at all, even the slightest possible chance that any of you could have been touched by the cat and it might have been carrying rabies, you need to get that person tested.

Rabies is serious business and it won't necessarily manifest itself immediately. Once it does though death will come swiftly. Survival rate is abysmal.

EDIT: Wikipedia: The period between infection and the first flu-like symptoms is normally two to twelve weeks, but can be as long as two years.

Death almost invariably results two to ten days after the first symptoms; the few humans who are known to have survived the disease were all left with severe brain damage

So yeah... even the slightest chance... get tested.

EDIT: Treatment after exposure, known as post-exposure prophylaxis or “P.E.P.”, is highly successful in preventing the disease if administered promptly, generally within ten days of infection. Thoroughly washing the wound as soon as possible with soap and water for approximately five minutes is very effective at reducing the number of viral particles.

...because we just had to kill one of my mum's cats acting violently and irrationally. It was all running around in circles and lunging at everybody who got too close. We didn't want to take any risks with kids around so, I had no choice but to take it down with a .22. (animal control was closed for the holidays) What's the incubation period for the virus, and although I've heard it's not too common during the winter months, is it still possible?

She had too many of them so it was only a matter of time. We had wild raccoons and possums raiding their food so it's possible it (or the other cats) could have gotten into a scuffle with them. Sucks for the cat, but we couldn't take any chances with the possibility for an epidemic.

You saved the world today, Saturos. Be proud, son.

Maybe you'll all have to get several rabies shots once a week for a few months. Muahahaa. I've had the shots, though i didn't have rabies. They had no way of testing it at the time (and maybe still), well, besides beheading the victim. (seriously) Once they beheaded the stray dog, they found out he didn't have rabies. Bitch shouldn't have jumped the fence into my yard and bit me.

Did the Cat have difficulty swallowing food and/or did it have a fear or revulsion of water ? Raziaar made some good suggestions. If a person had been in contact with the cat recently get that person tested out ASAP. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Well see, when a man is attracted to a woman, they do someth-

Wait, rabies?

I am pretty sure if you get infected, they give you thirteen needle to the stomach area; and no, I'm not joking.

...because we just had to kill one of my mum's cats acting violently and irrationally. It was all running around in circles and lunging at everybody who got too close.
I'm glad you're nowhere near my cats.

From your description, the bi-daily, banal occurence (called night crazies) of a cat in an excited state constitutes rabies.

Cool.

If there is any chance at all, even the slightest possible chance that any of you could have been touched by the cat and it might have been carrying rabies, you need to get that person tested.

Rabies is serious business and it won't necessarily manifest itself immediately. Once it does though death will come swiftly. Survival rate is abysmal.

EDIT: Wikipedia: The period between infection and the first flu-like symptoms is normally two to twelve weeks, but can be as long as two years.

Death almost invariably results two to ten days after the first symptoms; the few humans who are known to have survived the disease were all left with severe brain damage

So yeah... even the slightest chance... get tested.

EDIT: Treatment after exposure, known as post-exposure prophylaxis or “P.E.P.”, is highly successful in preventing the disease if administered promptly, generally within ten days of infection. Thoroughly washing the wound as soon as possible with soap and water for approximately five minutes is very effective at reducing the number of viral particles.
Yeah, very serious business. Especially with kids. Nobody got bit, but I wasn't about to wait around until somebody did. I checked out wikipedia of course, but it didn't mention the disease's incubation period.

You saved the world today, Saturos. Be proud, son.
Yay.

Why don't you vaccinate your pets?
Too many of them. Nearly 30 cats to be exact. That's what's happen when you don't get your cats neutered kiddies. The sad part is that it's going to be hard on my mother, but we're gonna have to put down most of them anyways coming sometimes next month. The humane society charges around 15$ a head and we don't have the money to spare for that many cats. If we call animal control, they'll just take all of them including the ones that everyone is actually attached to. The only option is for someone around our household to do the dirty deed ourselves. It'll be forever known in our household as the, "kitty apocalypse incident". Man I just feel sorry for my mom when the time comes. Sometimes I wish she wasn't so soft-hearted with animals. Everyone tried to explain to her that it's actually more inhumane to let them live in these conditions as they've been fighting for food. We can't afford to just keep buying more and more cat food to compensate for the increasing numbers.

Did the Cat have difficulty swallowing food and/or did it have a fear or revulsion of water ? Raziaar made some good suggestions. If a person had been in contact with the cat recently get that person tested out ASAP. It's better to be safe than sorry.
I didn't wait around long enough to diagnose anything. By then it would've already been too late. If other cats start showing the same symptoms, then I'll just have to dig the carcass up to be tested.

Dragon rabies.

D:
Nope. I didn't give it to them. :p

I'm glad you're nowhere near my cats.

From your description, the bi-daily, banal occurence (called night crazies) of a cat in an excited state constitutes rabies.

Cool.
No time to take precautions in misdiagnosing when we have kids who play outside regularly. Besides, the only way to be sure is to have the cat in question put down anyways ammirite?

Yea, a dog would've just killed you all by now.

Cats are pussies.

Man. I always thought rabies was a "Deadly if you ignore it but easily detectable and treatable disease if tested early" affair.

Turns out it's not. At least, it's not an easy affair. Lots of effort and work involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies_testing

So yes, the animal typically needs to be put down for quickest most effective testing.

Wikipedia said:
Since the 1960s, the standard test for rabies has been Direct fluorescent antibody test (dFA test). Because rabies is present in nervous tissue (and not blood like many other viruses), it's best to test for rabies in brain tissue. This test can only be done post-mortem.

The dFA test is the quickest, most reliable test available. This is important because treatment on the biting victim must start as soon after infection as possible. Furthermore, treatment is painful, expensive and potentially debilitating making it even more important to get accurate and timely results.

In living humans, several tests are required to diagnose rabies because no single test is sufficient. Samples of saliva, serum, spinal fluid, and skin biopsies of hair follicles at the nape of the neck are all tested.

Because the number and complicated nature of the tests, biting victims are sometimes advised to start treatment while waiting for the results.

Man. I always thought rabies was a "Deadly if you ignore it but easily detectable and treatable disease if tested early" affair.

Turns out it's not. At least, it's not an easy affair. Lots of effort and work involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies_testing

So yes, the animal typically needs to be put down for quickest most effective testing.
It really is a sad state of affair, but men do what they have to do whilst boys do only what they want.

It wasn't my mother's fault in the first place. She stayed on top of keeping her cats spayed and neutered. The whole thing with the overpopulation started about 6 years ago when my uncle next door failed to spay one cat. That's all it took. Now my poor mum will be paying for his mistake soon being how she's such an animal pacifist and all. She'll be forced to endure as we put'em all down except for about 5 of them that have already been fixed and were originally her's from the beginning.

Having that many cats is abusive to both the cats and the owner. 30 goddamn cats is horrible.

yeah, if you got rabies you're pretty ****ed. get that damn cat tested ASAP, otherwise there's a chance you won't be here with us next year.

Holy mother of crap I didn't realise rabies is so ****ing bad. Thank christ it's all but wiped out here.

How is rabies formed?

how is rabies formed?

how cat got angry?

They need to do way instain Saturos >
who kill thier kitties. becuse these kity cant
fright back?

it was on hl2.net this mroing a dragonshirt in ar who had kill his three
kitties. they are taking the three kitty back to vet too do raebis test.
my pary are with the mother who lost her kities ; i am truley sorry for
your lots

You shot the thing in your house? Did you have to clean blood up?

The treatment for Rabies sounds horrible. From what I hear one treatment is the needle stick, but the one thing about that is that the needle is inserted into your belly button. ;(

It's several shots, with several return visits for several more shots.

They stick some of the needles into the bite wound (if you were bitten), then they pull it out, stick another one in the wound at another angle, and again and again.

I just thank the lord Saturos is on our side.

Back