Some thoughts...

R

rbf1138

Since HL2 has been announced, there have been many cool things revealed about. Things like the amazing physics, AI, story, etc. However, and I in no way mean to incite riots over this, does anyone seem underwhelmed? I can say that HL2 is definitely my most anticipated game, so don't yell at me. My thoughts are this...
a. The game has tons of other amazing features that haven't yet been revealed (the most likely answer).
b. The physics are what this game is all about, and that is pretty much the biggest asset of HL2 (besides the fact that its a sequel to HL)
c. The multiplayer is going to be what puts it up there...the singleplayer is very good, but multi is what completes it.

I'm hoping that a. is what will happen (and that c. of course is true as well), but is anyone else worried that we may have heard about the best features already?

P.S. I'm an idiot for starting this thread.

It's the storyline and the execution of the storyline! Both are equally important.

On paper the HL1 story sounds whacked "aliens come through portals and wreak havoc!!", but it's executed to absolute perfection. It was a risky concept but Valve got it right.

Physics...hurah!!

You people are all wrong. Single player is what makes a game. So few games have great single player, when a good one does come your way you should take note of it.

Multiplayer on the other hand, any joe schmoe can make a fun multiplayer. Build a room, throw some guns in it and your done.

I think with all of these multiplayer mods, most of you have lost sight on how awesome a great singleplayer story is. That is what I am waiting for in HL2. I really don't care about multiplayer, somebody can mod that feature in at a later time.

hehe

Did you read the responses blahblahblah? That desert environment is driving you crazy!!

Really, HL1 was just another run-and-gun, but with a better story, better setting and some cool set-ups.

I expect Half-Life 2 to be the same.

God knows why anybody would read up about the game and expect it to be anything else.

yeah, it is the heat and lack of sleep. It is only 7:30 in the morning here, but the temperature is already 70 degree outside. It is supposed to get up to 102 today. :x

If they include a teamplay orientated mode where physics is the key that would be cool, like the engineer class in TFC that has to build structures from physics objects would be cool.

Of course, SP will come first before i even venture to MP, i dont want any weapon discoveries spoilt by a deathmatch pickup.

HL may have just been another run and gun with a good story but something about the balance, the mechanics and the control just clicked with it.

HL multiplayer and CS and dod etc all have a similar feel, the weapons respond right, the client prediction is good, the bullet reg and net code (despite what you read) are superb and the control is just responsive.

I've lost count of the number of newer and more technically impressive games I've bought and have played them to the feel like my character is running in treacle or on ice and that my gun is a water pistol. I can't begin to tell you how i felt when i installed unreal 2 and fired that massive, beutiful assault rifle and it souded like i was firing staples down a straw.

Here's hoping the manage to recreat the magic with hl2 and any mods or mp games that are spawned from the source engine.

MoJo|Night said:
HL may have just been another run and gun with a good story but something about the balance, the mechanics and the control just clicked with it.

HL multiplayer and CS and dod etc all have a similar feel, the weapons respond right, the client prediction is good, the bullet reg and net code (despite what you read) are superb and the control is just responsive.

I've lost count of the number of newer and more technically impressive games I've bought and have played them to the feel like my character is running in treacle or on ice and that my gun is a water pistol. I can't begin to tell you how i felt when i installed unreal 2 and fired that massive, beutiful assault rifle and it souded like i was firing staples down a straw.

Here's hoping the manage to recreat the magic with hl2 and any mods or mp games that are spawned from the source engine.

I know exactly what you mean about the newer games feeling slippy, It is most likely just our personal preference, but games like BF UT2004 just have no solidity to the movement, i never did understand it.

I say this, no game will ever touch the movement/control responsive engine programming of Half-Life 1...except maybe Half-Life 2.

Hl2's design is about best conveying the most absorbing gaming experience. It's not about 'the graphics' or 'the physics' it's about how everything combines to create the most enjoyable gaming experience.

I am in no doubt that valve (after 6 years) have got this right.

blahblahblah said:
You people are all wrong. Single player is what makes a game. So few games have great single player, when a good one does come your way you should take note of it.

Multiplayer on the other hand, any joe schmoe can make a fun multiplayer. Build a room, throw some guns in it and your done.

I think with all of these multiplayer mods, most of you have lost sight on how awesome a great singleplayer story is. That is what I am waiting for in HL2. I really don't care about multiplayer, somebody can mod that feature in at a later time.

I can pretty much garuantee that you would change your mind instantly if you actualy tried MP.

I was the same once, not even a 56k modem was to be found in my machine.

I laughed at Counterstrike and other MP games...

then the year 2000 came and i got blueyonder cable, My life changed, since then ive bought only games with MP features.

I'm the same dougy. I loved the sp of far cry. it lasted me 3 days and i was back on cs using a 5 year old engine the same as i have most days for the last 3 years. Sounds sad but no amount of ai or set pieces or scripting can compare to the varied gameplay the mp brings.

I got some thoughts for you...

Deep Thoughts by Gordon Freeman

I think it would be cool to place a bucket of water on the top of Alyxs door so it will fall on her head when she opens it. Then as she leaves the room she says "Gordon, I am not falling for that one" then takes the bucket down. As she walks out the room use the manipulator gun to pick the bucket back up and dump it on her head.

I wish HL2 had conversation trees. That way when Alyx asks me to go for help I could select "No." Then she would say "Yes" then I would select "No" then she would select "Yes" and I would select "No". After a few hours of this maybe she will die. If she doesn't I will just have to spawn an Ant Lion Gaurd and hide in a dumpster until I hear her stop screaming.

If you are fighting a Strider and you split the back of your pants open. I think it is okay to laugh and let the Strider laugh too because, you have to admit, that would be funny.

If you are in a gunfight with the Combine and you run out of bullets. If you see security cameras filming the battle I think a funny gag would be to start playing your gun like a guitar.

If someone installs HL2 without first updating to the latest DirectX drivers and tries to play the game. I think the installation cd should just go ahead and destroy the boot sector of that gamers hardrive right then and save Tech support the trouble.

To me headcrabs are like teddy bears. Except the aren't cuddly or soft, and they jump at you and bite your head.

I wonder if the scientists who first opened the portal to Xen would dare each other to transport over there and throw a pie in the face of an alien grunt then go back to earth real fast. If they ever did I bet they stopped when a scientist came back in bloodied pieces.

I hope Alyx doesn't whine too much or tells me to do things in the game. After a hard day of fighting aliens from taking over the world a womans nagging might push me over the edge.

the more i read about this game the more im convinced that this game is ALL about physics, the story is getting thin ,and its graphics are nothing we havent seen before cough*farcry*cough,and dont get me wrong i thought hl1 was best game ever at the time.

alehm said:
I got some thoughts for you...

Deep Thoughts by Gordon Freeman

I wonder if the scientists who first opened the portal to Xen would dare each other to transport over there and throw a pie in the face of an alien grunt then go back to earth real fast. If they ever did I bet they stopped when a scientist came back in bloodied pieces.

LOL! I found that one quite hilarious.

LMAO, nice spin on some of those Jack Handy quote alehm, especially like the parachute one being converted into the "running out of ammo" one. That was funny as hell.

chimpmunk said:
Hey accoustid toad, i got a quote from you in my sig!!!
and I would shorten it if I where you or the mods will do it.
the size of 4 lines maximum. you have exeeded this by placing it in a quote bar.

Dagobert said:
Really, HL1 was just another run-and-gun, but with a better story, better setting and some cool set-ups.
The fact that it even had a story was ground breaking. Up to that point, every FPS had a premise but Half-Life was the first game to actually flesh the premise out and turn the it into a compelling story. Even to this day, no game has so tightly integrated gameplay and story to the same degree as Half-Life.

As one person put it:

Other shooters:
Hidious aliens pour through the dimensional rift. It is a fight for survival as the hero holds the future of humanity in his hands. Finally, he is victorious. Mankind is safe...for now. THE END

Half-Life:
Hidious aliens pour through the dimensional rift. It is a fight for survival as the hero holds the future of humanity in his hands. Finally, he is victorious. Mankind is safe...for now. LOAD LEVEL 2

Mountain Man said:
Even to this day, no game has so tightly integrated gameplay and story to the same degree as Half-Life.
you mean "Even to this day, no FPS has so ..." Right?

No, I pretty much meant no other game. Some games may have a better story or are perhaps more story driven (such as RPGs), but when it comes to integrating story and gameplay, Half-Life is still the king.

HL2 is just based on those facials... :p :p

did you get it? :p

HL2's SP is one of the few SP's I'm looking towards playing. The magic just is there. But what comes to MP and e-sports as they are called nowadays, I mean those are the games..I've been playing CS (nearly 5 year old HL engine) for a year now every single day for at least an hour per day. I'm really looking for some MP action with CS2. It could last for next 5 years or more..

Back