soo, Doom3 = this years Unreal2?

A2597

Reaction score
Just the general vibe I'm getting...lots of hype, game comes out, it lacks a good plot, the game is short, and turns into a repetitive shooter, and the ending stinks.

What IS it with games nowadays?!?

But sadly it is kinda true.

On a semi-related note: I shouldn't make 'IBC' posts

Why the hell would this get closed? its a valid point...

I think the engine has potential to be built on top of though, and the multiplayer looks like it will be a good tournament game to keep Doom3 alive.

Quake 4 should be awesome, and I think Doom 3 will be a classic as Doom 1 and 2 are.

bleh...can the same happen to hl2?

if doom3 had alittle extra to it..something really special to separated it from the average fps ...yea i know amazing graphics..but really when you think about its sound just like another shoot em up game....hl2 will be agood one. :borg:

Let's hope not. Nothing is for sure until we've seen the finished product.

I just got done playing for a little while and that game is scary. I don't even like playing it in the dark lol. I've only seen about an hour of the game so far but I like it. I'm gonna give the MP a shot soon too ;D

Unreal2= 7 hours gameplay no multiplayer + almost no mods
Doom 3= 20+ hours gameplay plus multiplayer + mods

Doom3 has so much more potential.

I can't wait to get my copy in the mail tomorrow!!!!

There already are videos of Co-Op out there, yes already, but it has a HUGE HUGE spoiler and I didn't watch them obviously....

It averages at about 25 hours of gameplay I believe.

I played the demo of Unreal 2. It felt lifeless and dull. Even from the screenshot you could get the feeling. Even though I haven't played Doom 3, I don't get that feeling.

Also remember that most people who have played Doom 3 have pirated it. My point? Many of these pirates have claimed that Doom 3 does not interest them enough to purchase it. If they are not interested in the game, but still play it, they will likely give it a bad review. So far, the people who have purchased Doom 3 have very few bad things to say about it.

I'm halfway through, great game, but I don't know about you guys, I'm desensetized enough that the only thing the game does to me is make me jump and those are the cheap scares, like a hidden door opening behind you, I don't get the deep phsycological scare that I thought I would.

On a more positive note, although the game started out slow (one monster at a time), when you get to the middle, better look for those exploding berrels, cause there are so many monsters :).

[EDIT]: Woke up at eight, got the game, played for 10 hours streight, taking as much time as possible :).

[EDIT2]: The game runs very well, with high fps scores when the action is intenese, but get's below 45-50 when they're showing off the engine, at least on my 9800 Pro (High, 1024).

The MP is weak, straight up. The single player is a different experience but I find myself debating if I should play it or not because I don't want to have a heart attack.

sounds like a great game to play when theres nothing else to da. cant w8 for the uk release....... then hl2..

i think the problem with everyone not liking doom3 too much is the fact that it was hpyed so much and everyone went crazy and expecting a hell of alot more...

I dont know why everyone thinks that doom's multiplayer sucks... they already made a CO-OP mod that will be released soon "working vids online". Also they have enabled 16 player multiplayer.... I dont know what ID was smokeing when they set it to 4 players or came up with their minimum specs for the game... We have no problem running with 16 people... except that their is only 4 spawn points on the damn maps...

As for the game... I got it running on my and my brothers PC.... LOL you gota read this....

Hes useing a AMD 800 mhz geforce 3 "64" and 386 ram.....

I dont know how the hell its running it but it can run DOOM3 at 800x600 on medium and it looks damn good... I really cant understand how the hell its running.

Well A2597, looking through your posts it seems as though you've never been a big fan of Doom 3. So I guess you comparing it to Unreal 2 isn't that surprising. Now, if you'd been a big fan that was now disheartened, I could see cause for concern.

You've never liked Doom 3 and your opinion obviously hasn't changed, why'd you make a thread about it?

mayro said:
I dont know why everyone thinks that doom's multiplayer sucks... they already made a CO-OP mod that will be released soon "working vids online". Also they have enabled 16 player multiplayer.... I dont know what ID was smokeing when they set it to 4 players or came up with their minimum specs for the game... We have no problem running with 16 people... except that their is only 4 spawn points on the damn maps...

As for the game... I got it running on my and my brothers PC.... LOL you gota read this....

Hes useing a AMD 800 mhz geforce 3 "64" and 386 ram.....

I dont know how the hell its running it but it can run DOOM3 at 800x600 on medium and it looks damn good... I really cant understand how the hell its running.

The original Doom's multiplayer had a 4 player limit. A throw back if you will. Since it is apparent that multiplayer has more headroom than people thought, it should give some people incentive to create larger, better maps for Doom 3.

As for performance, I think everybody should give ID software props for creating a great engine that looks great on a wide variety of systems.

A2597 said:
Just the general vibe I'm getting...lots of hype, game comes out, it lacks a good plot, the game is short, and turns into a repetitive shooter, and the ending stinks.

What IS it with games nowadays?!?

Actually.... the thing with Unreal 2 was that it was worse than its predecessor. I've not played D3 but i'd place a safe bet that it's a lot better than D1+2 not counting nostalgia.

"lacks good plot, the game is short, repetitive shooter"... hmmm... and what were the original Doom games like?? :rolleyes:

Lacks a good plot, turns into a repetitive shooter, and the ending sucks. Gee, sounds kind of like Half-Life.

Biggest beef with Doom 3, and I think they did that cause the original Doom had the same concept, each weapon has only one fire mode. Come on, you have such great weapons (how come the shotgun can pulvarize the skull, but always leaves the brain intact?), at least give us two ways to fire them, especially since this is a fantasy shooter with beefed up guns.

Wait remeber another beef: why do monster dissolve so quickly, I know they drain the computer, but give them like 10 seconds to dissolve so we can take screenshots and admire teh beautiful artwork!!!!!

Soundwave said:
Lacks a good plot, turns into a repetitive shooter, and the ending sucks. Gee, sounds kind of like Half-Life.

No, I disagree, I think Doom 3 loses the plot because all human contact you have is through the recording of the PDA; besides a few stray scientists you are the only human and everybody is a brainless zombie/monster, doesn't allow much for a plot.

Half Life at least had scienitist around which you could bash with the crow bar :)

I love the shotty. It's so much fun to blast slugs into the zombies. I really need to play this game during the day. It is that scary at some points. (or I'm a big *****)

lazicsavo said:
besides a few stray scientists you are the only human and everybody is a brainless zombie/monster

Add "and security guards" next to "stray scientists", and that exactly matches Half-Life.

My main gripe here is, what the **** were people expecting with this game? It's like going to see a horror movie, then being disappointed when you watch it because it's a horror movie.

And I'm not suprised at all by who made this topic, this guy has said nothing but negative shit about this game.

you want a phenomenal story, read a book (I advice the Dark Tower); You want great graphics, play Doom 3. You want a blend of very good story and very good graphics get HL2 (I do advertize HL2, I can't help it, but I also have started to love Doom3, although it's easier to love headcraps, than gut eating zombies :) ).

I love it, the game has freaked me out a few times by now and that's great. :)
The singleplayer rocks so much in my personal opinion, I think it'll have a much greater impact than HL2's singleplayer for instance, the multiplayer and mods is another story however.
I wish people would stop bashing any kind of game, or try to convince someone else to change their opinion about one.

I can't be arsed to argue with anyone who doesn't like the game, I respect your opinion but advice you to try and be more open-minded. What wrong is it about having two good games instead of one good game?

Gamespy is having coverage of Doom 3, including a blog. Here's an interesting excerpt...

This is it. I'm loading up DOOM 3. I set my resolution to 1024x768, change a few keyboard controls, and click New Game...
...and the game crashes.
Hmm. I reboot the machine and try again. This time, I actually reach the opening movie, which describes the background of the Union Aerospace Corporation, etc.
...and it crashes again.
Well, that's it for now. I'm heading home to pick up one of my other machines and continue testing on it. I've reviewed many, many games on this Gateway and have hardly had any trouble before, but hopefully it's specific to this machine and I'll be back up and running soon.

I got a chance to play the multiplayer today... it absolutely... rocks... :D

ROCKET JUMPING IS IN!

PHYSICS ARE IN!

HIDING SPOTS!

INTERESTING, NON-STATIC MAPS!

OMG, I FEEL GREAT! :D

Glad to see there's someone out there who is satisfied with the multiplayer that we ALL knew about YEARS in advance of buying the game.

Letters said:
I got a chance to play the multiplayer today... it absolutely... rocks... :D

ROCKET JUMPING IS IN!

PHYSICS ARE IN!

HIDING SPOTS!

INTERESTING, NON-STATIC MAPS!

OMG, I FEEL GREAT! :D

Heres a bucket, if you get to excited aim for it.

Soundwave said:

You're making me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...HULK SMASH!
But seriously, you're wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin.

I've just picked up my copy and am installing as we speak. DISC 3 woo!

I was just wondering if there would be any reason for me to travel to my local EB to pick up doom 3 or not. Mainly because I heard a rumor that only the U.S has the game on release for today, i live in Australia so it would count me out of the equation, is there any truth to that rumor? Could anyone enlighten me?

my suggestion would be save the cash until more user reviews, but hey....

Soundwave said:
And I'm not suprised at all by who made this topic, this guy has said nothing but negative shit...

Are you saying he's like...um.........

.......you?!

Seriously though, I had to point this out because I've only seen you post when you have something negative to say about HL2 (not that there isn't negative things about HL2). ;)

Without having read through this thread, I have to say..

Doom 3 is qutie possibly the coolest game I've ever played. And I'm only about an hour and a half into it.

It's made me jump about 3 times, which is awesome. I didn't expect a game to make me jump. I'm loving it :D

I want it soo bad my heads gonna explode!!!!!!
Well I guess ill just play some CS. :(

Kazuki_Fuse said:
I was just wondering if there would be any reason for me to travel to my local EB to pick up doom 3 or not. Mainly because I heard a rumor that only the U.S has the game on release for today, i live in Australia so it would count me out of the equation, is there any truth to that rumor? Could anyone enlighten me?
Yes it's out in Australia now. I already picked it up from EB.

This game is soooo very immersive. Eating lunch.

BACK TO IT

Back