Sound Cards

DreamThrall

Reaction score
I'm trying to design a new computer and I'm debating on which sound card I should use.

My current computer has an Audigy 2 ZX Platinum, which is decent - though I'm thinking about switching to M-Audio, which I've heard sounds comparable if not better, and is a bit cheaper.

Also, I'm not sure which connection I should use. I'm planning on getting the Logitech Z-5500 set, which I believe has optical. I read somewhere that analog is better than optical for gaming though - is there any truth to this?

Here are the cards I'm considering:
Chaintech AV-710 (for optical)
X-Fi XtremeMusic
M-Audio 5.1
Or should I shell out $200+ for one of the better X-Fi?

I don't plan on ever getting a 7.1 speaker system, so having a 7.1 card isn't necessary - all I need is 5.1. The more I think about it, I might just take the Audigy 2 ZS platinum out of my current computer and slap it in the new one. Anyways, looking for comments here!

well, the audigy 2 ZS platinum is still a great sound card......if you realllllly have the desire to upgrade I'd say get the creative xtrememusic to take advantage of all that X-fi goodness, but otherwise, keep what you have and put some money towards a better video card or processor.

I'd say keep what you have. There isn't much difference between the X-FI and your Audigy 2 ZS except for the newer EAX support. Sound quality is basicly the same.

If you do buy new, the M-Audio would be great if you perfer music quality. The Creative cards are better for gaming.

I've done a fair bit of research on digital/analogue connections for speakers from sound cards recently. Basically, the only way to get anything other than stereo with optical is with DVD playback, and if your sound card has Dolby Digital Live/DTS Connect. These systems encode all audio on your PC so that your speakers can decode it.
The basic result is that unless you have a sound card with this (HDA Digital X-Mystique/X-Plosion in the UK) you can only play games in stereo through digital (like me :(). If you use a Creative card, use the analogue connectors. Apparently the HDA cards are fantastic though, but they are not as feature rich as X-Fi. I'll be getting one when I can afford it.

I hear the M-Audio is supposed to be a better card for music than the X-Fi is, I'd still choose the X-Fi because I play games :)

Back