Space Flight Comes to Life

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
As you may or may not remember, the last update on this unannounced project was the largely talked about Space vacuum video, the first working of it's kind I believe. Since then, much time and effort as been poured into this project of which little is known. Today a developer who we all know quite well has supplied an update with this modification's working space flight mode, very cleverly done. Check out the video below for this real time experience. Spaceflight![br]Wow-wicky-wowow Pi!

As this doesn't work in the newspost, the lazy people can see it just here.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9KqlVjmARo&[/YOUTUBE]​

why the secrecy?
why don't they just tell us which project it's from.

In space no one can hear anything :O

Looks sechsay!

Looks sechsay!
Looks like HL1...get some shaders on those models then be super secret and pretentious

Can Someone also go ahead and tell me how this is something other than eternal silences space component? I dont get what is so special

Man i forgot about this project.

Damn dunno. 1st video was crazy this was meh.

It didn't look right and I think I know why. On majority of flight games, when you go up, down or turn the model that represents you rotates before the camera does. In this the camera is fixed with the model.

Would be nice if the ship wouldn't slow down from the make believe friction in space.. \=

So much of that looks like eternal silence it isn't funny

TwwIX said:
why the secrecy?
why don't they just tell us which project it's from.

Because the name hasn't officially been announced yet

Gusdor said:
Looks like HL1...get some shaders on those models then be super secret and pretentious

Can Someone also go ahead and tell me how this is something other than eternal silences space component? I dont get what is so special

All the models are normal/spec mapped and look great. Oddly enough, blocky youtube videos don't really do them justice. There's better pictures on the Devblog.

The special bit is that you can now fly between ships/stations and suck all the occupants into space
The really clever bit is that it's totally flexible. You see that big freighter? You can fly that if you really want to.

Asuka said:
Man i forgot about this project.

Damn dunno. 1st video was crazy this was meh.

It may not be as cool as the vacuum stuff, but there's a hell of a lot more in the works.

Mutley said:
It didn't look right and I think I know why. On majority of flight games, when you go up, down or turn the model that represents you rotates before the camera does. In this the camera is fixed with the model.

We're still playing with turn rates and the like - when it's slower than standard mouselook speed, it looks more "normal".

CyberPitz said:
Would be nice if the ship wouldn't slow down from the make believe friction in space.. \=

We went for a "soft" newtonian flight model. It's imperative that the ships be easy to fly, so we put limits on the inertia so that you'll eventually coast to a halt if you stop thrusting.

neozero said:
So much of that looks like eternal silence it isn't funny

With all due respect to the Eternal Silence team, they didn't invent spaceflight. So it's obviously going to look similar :)

I thought it was pretty snazzy to be honest, looking forward to more updates :)

Haha, cool !! must have been a **** load of work.
Great job Pi, didnt know you were into modding this much on source.
Wasnt the space shit possible in U3 ? Anyway, great work.

-dodo

The UE3 stuff I did was just a 24-hour exercise to see how easy it would be to port the assets over. I'm sure it does support spaceflight - there was some in one of the UT2k4 assault maps. I'm sticking with Source, though.

Whilst this is obviously going to remind people of ES (though to me personally the styles of both games don't look that similar - ES looking more like the techy space marine type of game), this does look very neat :)
The fact that you could also fly the mother ship type things is also cool.

The vacuum video was great and this looks pretty solid too. Bring on project mystery \o/

One suggestion I would make, although purely cosmetic, would be to add a sort of "glow" around the planets to simulate atmosphere while hiding some of the poor detailing that can happen with objects of planetary sizes!

I did read your blog and the section on how you are changing the planets using static models but I would suggest you check out the game freelancer which I always though did space right.

[To me] a big part of most space games is the whole atmosphere presented. Nothing like exploring or battling among great scenery.

Sorry I don't have the game installed at the moment so I could only find this poor screen shot of one of the planets but you can get the idea.

fl_screen006.jpg

I am looking forward to the game.

That's exactly what I've been discussing with people this week. A semi-opaque atmospheric layer would do wonders for obscuring the ground.

Good stuff. Once you work out the kinks with the space physics, I'm sure it'll be great.

Back