Space Shuttle Discovery Launching now

VirusType2

Reaction score
The mission:
The seven-astronaut crew of Discovery's STS-121 mission is expected to conduct a 12-day flight to the ISS. Once there, the crew will perform vital maintenance to the orbital lab, test shuttle repair techniques, deliver much-needed supplies and equipment, as well as ferry a third ISS crewmember—European Space Agency (ESA) spaceflyer Thomas Reiter—to join the station's two Expedition 13 astronauts.

Countdown and 3 live feeds:
http://countdown.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/countdown/cdt/

More info and live feeds here:
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/060701_sts121_prelaunch.html

Search for more info:
http://www.google.com/search?q=space+shuttle+launch

I'll be watching it on TV now. About 8 minutes remaining.

If you are religious, pray for their safety, if not, wish the best for them!

EDIT: The minute after I posted this, the flight has been postponed, likely for a few days.

Was it for weather reasons? Oh well, the nasa channel is fun to watch when stuff like this is going on.

So I guess it didn't launch today? Or did it? I've been out...

I wish they would replace these shuttles already. Oh wait I get it they're probably waiting for them to all blow up on launch or re entry, duh:|

Heh, the original shuttle design was stolen from the russians anyway :LOL: ... probably why they aint too reliable.

They have been developing a new shuttle for a long time, no sign of it yet though.

NASA fails. I put my faith in private companies for the future of space exploration.

Redneck said:
NASA fails. I put my faith in private companies for the future of space exploration.

Without NASA the US wouldn't have reached the moon when they did, nor would a whole host of other space exloration projects have taken place

NASA also conducts a lot of projects that private enterprise would be unlikely to undertake, you dont really earn money in working out the age of the universe.

Evo said:
Without NASA the US wouldn't have reached the moon when they did, nor would a whole host of other space exloration projects have taken place

True, but they are sure advancing at a snails pace. With the huge costs that are involved they don't seem to be doing anything to lower the damn costs and improve reliability and safety so us mere mortals can take a trip into space. My hope is that with these contests like X prize for instance, it will start a boom in space based industry something similar to what happened with air travel in the 20th century. If we let it all up to NASA well I'm sure we'll be able to take a trip to the Moon in the year 2200 or so.

I agree. Because space travel results in the probably loss of billions of dollars and human life, the government has made the process far too beuracratic. They have teams of hundreds of people, and everything has to be approved up to the top level. Because of this they are very very slow and accident prone due to the fact that they still use very old equipment.

The space agency needs to streamline, use new technologies, use smaller teams and be willing to take risks before we will advance in space.

Private firms like SpaceX and Virgin Galactic look promising, but they don't have the resources to undertake massive space programs. What we need is a more active and streamlined government program that combines the vast wealth of the government with the streamlined talent of the private space companies.

I mean, SpaceX's Falcon I costs 1/60 the amount of money as NASA's cheapest rocket, and took a team of less than 50 people to build and maintain,(even though it exploded :hmph: ) plus it uses the latest technologies and computer controls to fly, while the space shuttle is still using ancient 1970's technology that has today's technology hacked onto it in a frankenstein-ish manner.

theotherguy said:
I agree. Because space travel results in the probably loss of billions of dollars and human life, the government has made the process far too beuracratic. They have teams of hundreds of people, and everything has to be approved up to the top level. Because of this they are very very slow and accident prone due to the fact that they still use very old equipment.

The space agency needs to streamline, use new technologies, use smaller teams and be willing to take risks before we will advance in space.

Private firms like SpaceX and Virgin Galactic look promising, but they don't have the resources to undertake massive space programs. What we need is a more active and streamlined government program that combines the vast wealth of the government with the streamlined talent of the private space companies.

I mean, SpaceX's Falcon I costs 1/60 the amount of money as NASA's cheapest rocket, and took a team of less than 50 people to build and maintain,(even though it exploded :hmph: ) plus it uses the latest technologies and computer controls to fly, while the space shuttle is still using ancient 1970's technology that has today's technology hacked onto it in a frankenstein-ish manner.
Heh, agreed. I think this is one of the things were corporations getting involved is probably quite a good idea.

lePobz said:
Heh, the original shuttle design was stolen from the russians anyway :LOL: ... probably why they aint too reliable.

They have been developing a new shuttle for a long time, no sign of it yet though.
Source or
shensign.gif

lePobz said:

Well actually the Russians copied the design from the Americans and they admitted it too:cheese: . The original shuttle design NASA had planed would've been smaller but much safer and reliable, but unfortunately USAF got involved and well... you know the rest. Rumours say that the so called shuttle replacement isn't going to be some fancy new design but a twiked version of that old first design:( .

Not a mission to Jupiter controlled by an advanced robot? I am dissapointed.

Actually, using new technology isn't so important, it's quite dangerous to use new, cool and untested parts in a spacecraft. Using technology that WORKS is much better, even if the shuttle is flawed. Back in the 70´s people were shouting about how fantastic and useful the new modern technology would be. Look at it now; it's huge, expensive and even slightly dangerous. The rusisans used old, proven technology and now they can launch several capsules each year while the cool US space shuttle is being repaired.
Sure, i'm simplifying things, but I think you get it.

And the private sector is DECADES from launching to orbit and has yet to actually accomplish something. You know the famous "spaceship" SpaceShipOne? It's hardly a spaceship at all, more of an airplane.
No, i trust in NASA. Perhaps they don't use the latest shiny technology, but they do science instead, not just PR-stunts.

Well I for one am very interested in the space elevator project. If they manage to build it it's literally gonna mean a boom in space based industry with routine and safe trips into orbit. I think I'm going to make a separate thread about this and see what your opinions are on the matter.

Back