Speaking

colin4444

Reaction score
I thought it would be cool if there were two different options for speaking over the mic in CS:S. One would be just like the current one, where you speak to the whole team.

However, i think it would be awesome if you could bind another key to a command that allows you to talk "out loud." In other words, your voice would carry from your body realistically (taking advantage of the new engine) and it would fade as it travels further away. So you could basically talk to the teammates immediately around you. And of course you could yell taunts to the opposing team ;) . What do you think?

Yes, I've wanted this for awhile :D I want to be able to talk to enemies or to just the teammates nearby me if I want. It would give more of a human character to players also.

I think the 'speak' option is great, and the 'team speak' should have a radio sound frequency filter on it. Team games would be rather cool just with the regular speaking alone too.

Dude, that's the best idea I've ever heard for CS. And I'm not being sarcastic.. that would be SO cool..

Shuzer said:
Dude, that's the best idea I've ever heard for CS. And I'm not being sarcastic.. that would be SO cool..

10 character limit.

Indeed it would be a good idea, if it wern't for the more annoying voices out there. Anyone who's been forced to mute someone for constantly spewing crap or playing mp3's or prattling on in a foreign language (which is fine if I was playing on a German/French/insert-country-here server but when the MOTD blatantly says it's an Englsh speaking server it's SO annoying) should sympathise. It could get old pretty quickly.

Bad idea, it bad enough going on to a sever to find all-talk on and everyone talking/spamming/playing annoying music so can't hear anything.

Would be even worse if there was a default key for it. And what are you gonna say to the other team anyway? Most kids would just use it as another way to annoy people/throw lame insults down the line.

The current talk system is way over abused already, clans don't use it (use 3rd party prog instead), and most people on publics just spam down it.

Shuzer said:

i agree, it would be awesome

i think there should be a mute option to mute those lil' noobs who play songs and abuse the microphone or a squelch option where they cant hear you

As long as they make the mute more easily accessible (like it used to be, on the scoreboard) and allow you to mute only voice and not text, I don't really care what else they do.

Great idea and id love to see it but i dont think vavles going to put it in from the start

That really is a very good idea and would be sooo much fun :)

Seriously I think I'm going to compile all of your ideas to a nice big ass article and send it to Valve. Don't mind do you?

It's a great idea and it should have been in CS a long time ago.

Sometimes when i yell grenade on the mic i don't want everyone in the team to hear it, i just want the guys in my proximity to hear it.

Bad idea, it bad enough going on to a sever to find all-talk on and everyone talking/spamming/playing annoying music so can't hear anything.

Would be even worse if there was a default key for it. And what are you gonna say to the other team anyway? Most kids would just use it as another way to annoy people/throw lame insults down the line.

The current talk system is way over abused already, clans don't use it (use 3rd party prog instead), and most people on publics just spam down it.

One small thing renders your entire point invalid: you can mute anyone with the press of a button.

I like the idea, sounds great. Ficticious Will's idea for team radio chat is cool too.

I think the 'speak' option is great, and the 'team speak' should have a radio sound frequency filter on it. Team games would be rather cool just with the regular speaking alone too.

Superb idea. Have the teamchat sound like a radio and have the other chat (speaking out loud) would be great...it would add a bit of life to the players, as you would actually hear the enemy speaking at times (which is realistic). Imagine as CT seeing the T's rush double doors while screaming strategy and hurling insults at the CT's! Heh.

Liam said:

if i go into a server like that all you gotta do is yell really loud this particular statement...

That's a very good idea. But instead of a button for talking out loud, and a other one that you talk/radio your team to, both should be used at the same time. Like a terrorist would talk on mic to contact a team mate thats far away, and says "let's re-group." And if a counter-terrorist is standing close by him, he can hear what that terrorist said.

That's a fantastic idea!

You could hide behind a crate and shout "COME AND GET ME!!!".

There was an option in DOD that allowed something like this. The only voices heard were those in your general vicinity including enemy voices if you had alltalk on.

Mad Dog said:
One small thing renders your entire point invalid: you can mute anyone with the press of a button.

And why should I have to stop playing, open the menu, mute the kids every time I join a sever?

The idea of talking locally to your own team isn't a particularly bad idea, I just don't think it will actually add very much to game.

What I don't want is a talk-to-the-other-team button. I mean seriously, think about it, what are you going to say to the enemy? A friendly chat? No. The only thing it will be used for is for people to throw insults at each other. Imagine “ffs j00 gay lux0r” except audible and I think you’ll agree.

It has no use, no purpose and no point.

I like the idea. Has lots of cool/good points and some not so good ones that have been pointed out. Thoughts:
1) Cool so that u could have say the 2 guys with you speaking in the bombsite at dust and the remaining 2 at the sniper deck where the two units could speak individually.
2) The idea above being able to hear the other team speak even when they speak on the radio is a great idea (if ur close enough). Cause no one would be stupid enough to use the speak button when they think they are right near someone. Also would be funny "Looks clear come bridge..." BANG u get shot cause u were heard.
3) Would have to be an option to turn off the 'speak' feature both on the server and per client. Just like you can uncheck the "allow ingame chat" button now, or individually mute as you can now.
4) Even if the other team couldn't hear would be nice to have the extra option to talk to just the people around you (unrealistic but cool)
5) May take a processor and bandwidth hit

That is one of the best ideas....it would be great to have it in CS:S

colin4444 said:
I thought it would be cool if there were two different options for speaking over the mic in CS:S. One would be just like the current one, where you speak to the whole team.

However, i think it would be awesome if you could bind another key to a command that allows you to talk "out loud." In other words, your voice would carry from your body realistically (taking advantage of the new engine) and it would fade as it travels further away. So you could basically talk to the teammates immediately around you. And of course you could yell taunts to the opposing team ;) . What do you think?
Yea!!! Sweet idea. I think they had something similiar to this in either 1.3 or 1.4 or something. i remember the update saying "Close by enemies can now hear your radio" Try emailing Cliffe about this. Gr8 idea

And why should I have to stop playing, open the menu, mute the kids every time I join a sever?
I dunno? Because maybe you have a problem with it? It's an OPTION, after all.

The idea of talking locally to your own team isn't a particularly bad idea, I just don't think it will actually add very much to game.
One man's opinion. Incidentally, it's also the only negative opinion in this thread so far.

What I don't want is a talk-to-the-other-team button. I mean seriously, think about it, what are you going to say to the enemy? A friendly chat? No. The only thing it will be used for is for people to throw insults at each other. Imagine “ffs j00 gay lux0r” except audible and I think you’ll agree.
You'd think that, but you'd be wrong. It's not a "talk to the other team" button so much as the game representing the fact that when you speak aloud, you can be heard by anyone within earshot, not just people with radio clearance. Again, the ability to mute people is a client-side-option.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

The point is, the enemy doesn't need to hear you (realistic or not), it doesn't add anything to gameplay that the two teams can here each other. The only thing is does add is an annoyance.

Now, talking locally with your own team is fine, as I said, I don't have a problem with that. Personally I can't see it helping out that much as public severs rarely show any signs co-operation or co-ordination so adding another tactical ability like this will hardly help.

Anyway, something similar did in fact used to be in CS. You used to be able to here near-by radio commands of enemies and see the little green icon above there heads. It got removed.

Liam said:

It would be more realistic. Think. In real life your teamates wouldnt hear you telepathically, having all talk on with a voice vicinity would be awsome. That way if your in a heavly guarded area or something you HAVE to be quiet or the enemy will hear you. Its a fantastic idea.

And if you dont want to go into a menu to mute some "little kids" you really are the laziest piece of **** i have heard of.

B.Calhoun said:
It would be more realistic. Think. In real life your teamates wouldnt hear you telepathically, having all talk on with a voice vicinity would be awsome. That way if your in a heavly guarded area or something you HAVE to be quiet or the enemy will hear you. Its a fantastic idea.
Add it really doesn't suit CS. CS isn't a realistic game, and it shouldn't try to be one. I mean just look what happened when they added the shield?

There is a reason CS is has so many players, the game is simple. There are no stupid gimmicks like leaning round corners, going prone, stamina, or anything else that other games try to add. CS is almost arcade, and anything that makes it more complicated is bound to cause problems.

Why can't you leave these suggestions for other HL2 mods (or even CS2) which do focus on realisim?

I think valve took the right steps when making a CSS a direct port rather than adding and changing too much of the gameplay.

Back