Steam and the midnight release

staddydaddy

Reaction score
I was just thinking, Whenever hl2 is released (not debating that here), and it gets Decrypted or downloaded what time zone is Steam/VALVe going to use to send the Decrypt code at? If they say midnight GMT then ppl in the USA would have it 5-8 hours earlier than normal. Maybe we should email Gabe about this one.

If they release it at midnight GMT, the UK gets it 5-8 hours earlier than the US.

If they then release it at midnight PST (Valve's time) then the UK have already had it 8 hours.

They will release it at the same time, probably 12 AM PST (HQ timezone)

Originally posted by Gordon'sFreeman
Maybe at 12:00 on each timezone maybe?
They might a have a timer lol :p

Opps, I forgot to type that out in my original post. Well if they did have it by each timezone, you could just say your in like asia or something and you'd get it like 20 hours early.

I wouldn't expect it to be unlocked at midnight anywhere.

Probably 4pm PST like the movies were unlocked.

EDIT: Ironically, 4pm PST is Midnight GMT but what I mean is that you won't get the game as soon as your calender reaches 30th of September. It will probably be unlocked sometime during the day because Valve will need to be awake.

it is probably going to be a simultaneous worldwide release. at 12:00:01 PST, the game will be available worldwide.

Looks like I'll be staying up 'til 2:00 A.M. that night...

looks like 3:00 am for me.. which is fine.. seeing as I dont have class on the 1st :)

Uh... GMT -5:00, I'm in -7:00, that makes... 10:00 pm. Not that I could buy it then, seeing as I'm getting the retail, and this is all speculation, but still. ;) :cheers:

Originally posted by Letters
Looks like I'll be staying up 'til 2:00 A.M. that night...

Same here, you think that'll be the monday night or tuesday?

I'll probably order off steam for a month to get it ASAP then buy a real copy a month later. :dork:

Back