Steam Community Officially Released

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
After about 2 months of a successful Beta testing, Valve is proud to announce the public launch of the Steam community features, an expansive set of social networking and online multiplayer features available for free on Steam, as it prepares for the launch of the Team Fortress 2 beta, which is scheduled to begin on Monday, September 17, 2007. The Steam community features will allow TF2 players to track detailed player and team statistics and achievements records.[br]

The Steam Community lets gamers create a personal profile-a Steam ID-complete with a photo or avatar, biographical details, favorite lists, and other information. Community members can add peers to a personal Friends List that shows in real-time who's online and available to chat or play a game. Accessible from within the Steam client or while playing a game, the Friends List makes it easy to invite friends to chat, play a game, or join a group.

Once you setup your profile in the Steam Community, Don't forget to join The Halflife2.net Group.[br]
In other news, Action Trip posted a preview of Team Fortress 2. The preview reflects on most of the info currently known about Valve's soon-to-be-released team-base multiplayer shooter. Don't forget to pre-order the Orange Box from steam to get in the Team Fortress 2 Beta which starts on Monday.

Woot! Now I can get my account. None of this beta shit.

The Steam Community = EPIC VALVe = EPIC 1337!!1! Added Halflife2.net to my group 2 days ago when the feature was officially release!! =D

The Steam Community killed our server's ability to allow us to talk--completely, in DM...

Talk about suck.

I think it's a nice feature, I like it a lot more than XFIRE which crashes constantly on x64 OS.

Can anyone link me to a changelog? I'm curious to see what's changed since Beta. There were a lot of niggling things that totally flummoxed basic logic.

Edit: They still haven't fixed the issue with not being able to make a private group public, which is really dumb. Certain people will want to prepare their community in private and then make it public once it's ready for public consumption (like you do with newsposts for example).

Can anyone link me to a changelog? I'm curious to see what's changed since Beta. There were a lot of niggling things that totally flummoxed basic logic.

Edit: They still haven't fixed the issue with not being able to make a private group public, which is really dumb. Certain people will want to prepare their community in private and then make it public once it's ready for public consumption (like you do with newsposts for example).

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/The_Steam_Community

Well it had to be released, that or they wouldn't have been ready for TF2.

The Steam Community killed our server's ability to allow us to talk--completely, in DM...

Talk about suck.

Glad you knew there was an update to Source engine THAT killed that. SC didn't do anything to your precious game..

Glad you knew there was an update to Source engine THAT killed that. SC didn't do anything to your precious game..

Haha, I wasn't serious anyway--I didn't do any bg check to see what the problem was, so I blamed it on SC.

And yes, it's quite a precious game...things sure are silent though...

Back