Steam For Linux Beta Now Open To All

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Valve have officially announced that Steam for Linux is open to the public. If you already have Linux up and running you can join in simply by downloading the Linux client here. If you don't and want to try it out you can get Ubuntu (the officially supported flavour of Linux) here.

To help keep track of bugs in the bets Valve have set up a GitHub repository. Anyone with a free GitHub account can use it to report an issue to Valve. Hopefully this will help Valve get any and all bugs ironed out as quickly as possible. The Linux Steam client current boasts 36 games and hopefully all the other Steam games with Linux versions will be made available by the time the client is out of beta.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 7,500
The thing I didn't understand about the closed beta was how "closed" it really was. I was accepted into the beta at the end of November, but as far as I could tell, the download link to the steam.deb file did not require any sort of authentication. Was it closed in the sense that only people accepted were allowed to sign into the Linux client or was it closed simply in the sense that Valve wasn't telling anybody about it?

If you weren't in the beta Steam simply wouldn't let you sign in from the Linux client.

Sweet, GitHub! Looking forward to more Valve titles. Can't wait to try out TF2 in the meantime.

Back