Steam Hits 15 million

Evo

Tank
Reaction score
Steam has now officially hit 15 million subscribers and has witnessed year-over-year sales growth of 158% through the holiday season. Pretty impressive figures there for Valve. Some words from Gabe.[br]
"PC gaming is thriving, and has evolved into an era of constant connectivity," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve. "That connectivity gives us the ability to have a much better relationship with customers, not just for delivering our games, but across all aspects of our business - including the design, development, and support of our games. Features like Guest Passes, Free Weekends, Gifting, and the Steam Community have been very well received both by customers and the developers who are using Steam. We are accelerating our release of new functionality in the next year as well as finding new ways to work with our partners such as the release of Steamworks, which allows them to bring the many benefits of Steam to their packaged products."
More information here.

Thats awesome. Steam is finally catching on, and i for one cant wait to see where they take it.

And when they finally snuff out Microsoft Live, i'll be one happy gamer.

what's microsoft live? D:

good job steam

I posted this in the Steam forum. Great news!

Woop Woop!!

In Your Face Xbox Live!!!

That beats out WoW too, don't it? That's pretty huge.

Although people on WoW pay monthly, they don't on Steam, so Blizzard will be making a ton more cash. Valve can't be doing too badly off Steam, though.

Although people on WoW pay monthly, they don't on Steam, so Blizzard will be making a ton more cash. Valve can't be doing too badly off Steam, though.

True, but a WOW subs, what, ?9 a month? I'm willing to bet that most people will spend ?110 or more on games over steam in the course of a year.

But while Blizzard has to pay for their servers for one game, the servers used for steam can be partially paid for with the money valve gets from other producers who paid for the source engine and/or sell their game over steam. Or at least i think.

Blizzard maintains servers for content and players, Valve just has servers for content.

I'd still like to actually see Steam sales numbers.

Back