Steam is now Adware

TrevorGrigg

Reaction score
The latest update for HL had a banner ad at the bottom of the montier screen. Maybe I missed this before, but that makes it adware as well as the worst software ever.
please correct me

Do you mean that while it was updating you got a pop-up or what?
I havent seen any ad-banners.

TrevorGrigg said:
The latest update for HL had a banner ad at the bottom of the montier screen. Maybe I missed this before, but that makes it adware as well as the worst software ever.
please correct me
*corrects you*

always had those.

What are these "ad banners" you speak of? I have seen no such thing.

Weird...mine just says "VALVe Server 18"...do you have some sort of special custom skin?

Well, I'm stumped. Wait, where are you located?

TrevorGrigg said:
please correct me

Its always been there and thats because you downloaded your update from a none valve server. Aka one of the sponsered servers.

http://www.steampowered.com/status/content_servers.html

and how does that make the software bad? It doesnt effect you in anyway. Hate all this kiddy shit.

It's not kiddy shit. I rightfully thought Steam added banner ads to that screen. Notcie the "please correct me" line.

Its a banner from the SPONSERS. IF your downing from them. Also if your joining a SERVER (aka not valve controled) it can add its own banners during the connect screen.

TrevorGrigg said:
please correct me

Just showing you what Content Server you're connected to there.

Steam is not Adware.

Blinxx said:
Just showing you what Content Server you're connected to there.

Steam is not Adware.

It actually is partially adware, but I am happy it is. The content server has the ability to place whatever image they want in that little box, including advertising with links. I however believe that this is a good thing, it provides an incentive for companies to host a content server, providing more bandwidth and localised servers for us.

The adverts are from people who give Valve their bandwith, its no worse than seeing an advert on TV.

And it's not in your face like OMG LOOK AT ME LOLZ¬!!!!!!

TrevorGrigg said:
Well it still stinks.
Why? Has it caused you physical or mental harm? Has it wiped your entire hard drive? Has it caused you sleepless nights? Has it forced you to look at it? Has it made any difference to the speed of your connection?

The answer is no, it hasn't. I'd rather a tiny banner like that which only shows when I decide, than have to pay to download or wait in line for hours just because Valve's own servers can't handle the load without the sponsored ones.

It's entirely harmless and I'm quite sure your just being picky :(

Whats with the thing where I close steam (right click on the icon, exit) right before going to bed, and it re-launches by the time I get up. Stupid Steam just like a trojan horse.

Settings > Interface > Untick "Run Steam when Windows starts"

Im not suprised your familiar with Trojans either.

azz0r said:
Settings > Interface > Untick "Run Steam when Windows starts"

Im not suprised your familiar with Trojans either.

Actually, I already have disabled that run when windows starts. And I didnt hear my computer reboot overnight - and if it did it would have been at the password prompt when I saw it in the morning.

^Ben said:
Me thinks someone is telling porkys.

Try it yourself. Close steam out, and leave your computer sitting for 6 to 8 hours. There is at least a 50/50 chance that when you come back, steam will be showing up in the system tray. This has happend to me on at least 3 seperate occasions now.

For all those people mad at my first post here, you should notice that I was corrected and was happy with that. Get over yourself.

It's just the logo of the content server. Always been there.

DeVry Student said:
Try it yourself. Close steam out, and leave your computer sitting for 6 to 8 hours. There is at least a 50/50 chance that when you come back, steam will be showing up in the system tray. This has happend to me on at least 3 seperate occasions now.
hmm thats funny cause not once has it happened. Your just making things up, admit it :p

-

TrevorGrigg, less of the attitude.

The Dark Elf said:
hmm thats funny cause not once has it happened. Your just making things up, admit it :p

-

TrevorGrigg, less of the attitude.

I ain't shittin ya. Maby its just my computer.

Maybe you arent shitting us, but you are talking shit.

Ad banners dont make it adware, those are designated by whoever serves you the data, and since they're giving you bandwidth for nothing, I'd be thanking them, and be grateful its just some tiny little ad.

Back