Steam or Retail

M

markis

Hi all! I am trying to decide whether to download Half Life 2 from Steam or buy the Retail version. The reason I don't really want to download from Steam is because I don't think there is a guarantee that if something happens to my computer I will be able to somehow get it again whereas with the retail I will have the original CDs to re-install. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Mark

I will buy retail because I want the goddamn box and the goddamn cd. It depends on you...

Retail - You have your stuff on a CD so you don't have to re-download it

Steam - You can play it instantly...

That's the main thing... I got steam.

AntiAnto said:
I will buy retail because I want the goddamn box and the goddamn cd. It depends on you...

Same here. :D

My question really was will I be able to re-download it for free.

I got steam...even though i originally had a retail preordered :O . I want a CD, though, so i think that i'm going to burn back-ups of my steam files, and burn a copy of steam. Basically, i'll just have to install steam from the CD, then transfer the gcf's over, and i'll have my copy of half life 2 ready to go! :thumbs:

markis said:
Hi all! I am trying to decide whether to download Half Life 2 from Steam or buy the Retail version. The reason I don't really want to download from Steam is because I don't think there is a guarantee that if something happens to my computer I will be able to somehow get it again whereas with the retail I will have the original CDs to re-install. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Mark
I got it through steam. All you have to remember is your username and password for steam if your computer is wiped clean. steam will take care of it from there on.

retail because i don't like the idea of not having a hard copy of something i pay money for

Doppelgofer said:
retail because i don't like the idea of not having a hard copy of something i pay money for

Exactly.

im all about steam... if you have broadband you might as well...

-merc

money goes to 'the guys who made the game' either way.

Back