Steam Pre-Order: "From Dust" including bonus TF2 mask

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
Play God in Ubisoft's new sandbox game, From Dust. Now available on Steam, you can pre-order your copy today for $14.99, ?11.99 .
[br]
[br]
AFAIK, all of the reviews for the game that are currently out are of the XBLA version -- There are no PC reviews yet. For your convenience, here's a list of a few popular gaming publications that have played and reviewed From Dust:
[br]
[br]
As a gift, pre-order your copy through Steam and you'll receive a special Team Fortress 2 mask, rightly named the "Mask of the Shaman", that you can wear with your TF2 characters.
[br]
From Dust comes out August 17th on the PC.

I played it on Xbox a few days back, just finished challenge mode there.

My personal opinion: Bleh.

It's fun, and sure it's cool to be able to manipulate the environment, but there are so many annoying niggles with the game.

The AI is retarded trying to find a path they have set in their head, while a perfectly good route is a few metres to their left, some of the challenge modes want you to anticipate what kind of disaster is going to hit, and you have to prepare for your own imagination's attack, most of the time to find out that you've barricaded the wrong side of your island or something. The game clearly restricts the 'free' manipulation too much, for example placing shit loads of earth in one hill won't appear as it should, it'll appear as a big dick sticking out of the earth which slowly melts to an appropriate size, clearly to stop players breaking levels. Sure, it's necessary, but it ruins the manipulation abit for me. The controls for 360 are slow and annoying; which I can assume a mouse and keyboard will fix and the camera angles are either too far out, or not close enough.

Apart from those and a few other niggles, it's a fun game with a strong concept, the challenge mode is a nice addition. I just wish it had a level editor built in after you complete the game. There's a level late in the game which uses exactly that mechanic, so why the hell not just make it an option as a full add-on?

I'll probably get it. Probably preorder it too because who doesn't want more TF2 crap....

Five new promos release, all related to Zenimax/Bethesda games:
  • The Original Quake Rocket Launcher for Soldier
  • Skyrim helmet for Heavy
  • Pip-Boy for Engineer (replaces build menu)
  • Brink hood for Sniper
  • Rage-related boomerang triangle thing for Enginner

No word on obtaining them yet but QuakeCon starts today.

Back