Steam Store v3 - Beta

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
A new rendition of Valve's Storefront page has been released in beta form today. A new sleek design with added extra effects are noticable at first glance. Anyone can try it out simply by following the directions on this page - If you want to try the beta out on Steam itself, you must open that link with Internet Explorer - You’ll be on your merry way.[br]

[br]As always with Valve's public beta's, if you do voluntarily participate in them, it is highly recommended that you cite any bugs you find at the Valve’s Wiki page - More specifically, here.

Cool, it looks pretty nice, I've never really liked the old store.
By the way, the link does not seem to work...

Cool, it looks pretty nice, I've never really liked the old store.
By the way, the link does not seem to work...

Probably because someone forgot the link. :thumbs:

It's a little bit too dark for my tastes, but it's much nicer than the old one, which was pretty good to begin with.

Love it. Cant wait for it to be out of beta.

It's a cookie thing.
Yeah I was wondering if it would work with Firefox. Chris Bokitch on the Steam forums said this:
This will work with Firefox and/or IE, but in order to make the Steam client work with this beta, you'll need to load the URL from that Wiki page in IE. This will set a cookie on your machine that the Store can read from the Steam client.
So now everything works. Valve is getting ready for that Episode 2 storefront! :bounce:

Not bad, was there any real reason to redesign things or...did valve just decide it was ugly?

Hmmm I might report it but if they are going to make the page so wide within the client that you need to scroll sideways then they really need an optioon to maximise steam to full screen, not just minimise and close. Looks ok but.

edit: well I can't be bothered registering to file it. *shrug*.

Hmmm I might report it but if they are going to make the page so wide within the client that you need to scroll sideways then they really need an optioon to maximise steam to full screen, not just minimise and close. Looks ok but.

What resolution is your monitor set to? It seems fine with mine. And you can manually resize the steam window, but that can be a pain. Maybe this is why it is still a beta though.

I'm liking it so far. Only thing I've noticed is that dragging the scroll bar is very janky. Otherwise it is great.

nice, they added streaming previews to each trailer/media details page! <3

You want to maximise the window? Then double click the title bar like any other ap, and it will go full screen. Is that what you wanted?

It looks better than the previous version, but why did they decide to take away all the white color? It's too gray, imho. Another thing is IE, but that's not Valve's fault ;)

Awesome they've added the lo-res quick flash preview to Media (or Videos, as it's now called) and all this stuff on the right side: links, icons, details, requirements, "new on Steam". The front page looks better now.

What resolution is your monitor set to? It seems fine with mine. And you can manually resize the steam window, but that can be a pain. Maybe this is why it is still a beta though.
1024x768 being a 17 inch. Larger res would do the trick but my monitors to small and to far back for that to be viable. It's not that big a deal as I don't use the shop, and tent to minimise and run the "my games" window only.

You want to maximise the window? Then double click the title bar like any other ap, and it will go full screen. Is that what you wanted?
tried that doesnt work, at least not here.

Finally!! I've been DYING to purchase more mediocre third party steam games!

Finally!! I've been DYING to purchase more mediocre third party steam games!

Alittle slow i see. Finally ive been able to get these games for the past few weeks.
In other words, this has noting to do at all with the new storefront.

IE sucks... beeing a webdeveloper is sometimes a torture first class thanks to this piece of shit that some idiots still call a "browser".

I think iit has always been pretty dumb idea to implement such an exploit-plagued technology as IE into the Steam application.

I think iit has always been pretty dumb idea to implement such an exploit-plagued technology as IE into the Steam application.

Well, would you rather they spent a great deal of time creating an all new browser, especially for Steam? Or getting Episode 2 out the door before Christmas?

Well, would you rather they spent a great deal of time creating an all new browser, especially for Steam? Or getting Episode 2 out the door before Christmas?
A good point.

Do Mozilla (or anyone else) do a browser snap-in they could use? IE is the obvious choice if you're developing with Visual Studio but you've piqued my interest now.

I'm not near a Steam client so can someone tell me: does the store still advertise games you've already bought? I would so buy every game available if only it meant the store page for me said "Nope. Nothing to see here. You bought them all. ALL OF THEM. You whore."

Back