Steam Update is not working properly, halp!

Saturos

Reaction score
I just got Portal (single package, not OB), and I went to start Steam to prepare for the long wait, (dial-up sucks), and let the Steam Platform update (after a long period of un-use, as usual), and to my displeasure, Steam only gets to about %46 or so on the Steam Platform update progress and then either closes without finishing, or starts over again at 28%. :frown:

What the hell? Is there any way to skip the platform updates? I wanna get on with playing Portal damnit! :frown:

The game cache files are not a problem for Steam on dial-up. (I've downloaded several games through Steam already with no problems) If anything happens during the download process, you can just pick up where the update was interrupted later. It's the initial Platform updates that are pissing me off. I don't think it's a connection issue anyways and btw, don't respond with some generic response like, "Dial-up? Ha, ha you suck! Get DSL!", because believe me when I say I've already checked with our phone company on that issue years ago as well as just recently when they told us they don't support DSL in our area. :p

My current specs are:

Motherboard: MSI K9N PlatinumSeries nForce570Sound: Audigy4 SoundBlaster 2.1 StereoVideo: DualSLI GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128MBinterfaceVideo Driver: ForceWare 163.71Monitor: 1280x1024 2ms ViewSonic LCDCPU: AMD64 3800+ 2.4 GHz HDD: WD 160GB 7200rpm SATARAM:2 gigs Corsair DualChannel low-latency 800MHz Optical Drive: Pioneer DVD+RWPSU:Enermax 600WCase:AspireDeluxe 1 80MM intake 1 120mm exhaustOperating System: XP Home Service Pack 2

Thanks! :upstare:

When it 'starts over again' at 38% do you let it continue? Maybe it is on a different update.

Aye. I figured that maybe the loading bar was for just one update and not every update, but I also assumed that Steam wouldn't just close everytime after every update, while only on 46%. The connection doesn't drop or anything, Steam just closes when it gets to about halfway through the update. :/ I checked the taskbar and system tray too to make sure it just wasn't running in the backgroud or something, but indeed, Steam...just closes.

Nevermind. I got the Platform Update(s) to work, but now, I have a new issue. After I submitted my Activation key to Steam, I got a, "subscription pending" notice stating that Steam servers are , "unable to process transactions at this time. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Steam team is getting on it right away" Or some stupid crap like that which I really didn't want to hear. :p

Either,

A: Valve needs to expand/upgrade steam servers OR

B: Mr. Newell needs to fire someone within the "Steam team". Pfft. :hmph:

Has this, "subscription pending" thing ever happened to anyone before? How long does it take for them to get on the ball already?

They're holding back just for you.
Pfft yah. That's what it seems anyways.

Like I said in that other thread, Steam is just too far ahead of it's time, and as a result, those eggheads on the, "Steam team" can't keep up, nor can the servers Steam is running on. :p

Doesn't it irk you that you seem to be the only one with this problem?

Back