Steam Update

Munro

ValveTime Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Updates to the Steam Client and the Source Engine have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:[br]
Steam Client and Source Engine[br]
  • Fixed a number of connection problems to the backend of VAC2 (Valve's anti-cheat technology for game servers). VAC2 currently only runs on servers in the beta group, but will be active for all servers very soon.
That's all folks.

I hope "very soon" is VERY SOON! I hate having to pick from a selection of Secure servers, which rarely have custom maps, let alone ones I want. This VAC2 update is going to pwn all teh newb h4x0r g4m3rs!!!!!!!12

They should've slipped it in with some other update...

I'd like it if Hackers get punished, but my main concern is me, and If I get to play a cheat-free game.

Cypher19 said:
They should've slipped it in with some other update...
how? Its an admin configurable thing that they can disable/enable. How would you slip it without people finding out within 10 minutes. The intentions isnt to ban everyone anyway, its to stop people cheating and if letting people know that VAC2 is active accomplishes that then why not tell them.

There's going to be a sweet period after VAC2 is put in when CS and CS:S are going to be hack free.

I just hope VAC2 will be updated often enough to discourage new hacks from being developed.

Geogriffith said:
There's going to be a sweet period after VAC2 is put in when CS and CS:S are going to be hack free.

I just hope VAC2 will be updated often enough to discourage new hacks from being developed.

yeah i hope so too.
i just don't get it tho...why not go after these sites that host such hack files..
oh well :|

Ok guys. This update is giving me MAJOR problems

Whenever I try to start a gmod server, I get an error "steamclient.dll not found. Server communication disabled" then it throws a memory read error at me and bombs. Any ideas?

Damn you valve, DAMN YOU!!!

Nice, I'm getting tired of seeing cheaters do what they please. I just hope VAC2 stays updated, looks like they plan on keeping it up to date though, why go out and make a whole new version if not? :E

As always, thanks Valve for helping your loyal community, and for delivering the sweetest games.

sinkoman said:
Ok guys. This update is giving me MAJOR problems

Whenever I try to start a gmod server, I get an error "steamclient.dll not found. Server communication disabled" then it throws a memory read error at me and bombs. Any ideas?

Damn you valve, DAMN YOU!!!
You've got a duplicate .dll somewhere, probably steam.dll IIRC. Seach the folder and delete anything that shouldn't be there.

Varsity said:
You've got a duplicate .dll somewhere, probably steam.dll IIRC. Seach the folder and delete anything that shouldn't be there.

No, that's not the issue. If you go to the steam support forums, you'll see that i'm not the only one with the issue. Apparently, in the update, valve messed with the listen.cfg, so now allot of people can't create gmod listening servers. Hell, some people can't even create listen servers for hl2 dm or cs:s.

Some admin dude said they'd have it sorted out by tommorow though. So I are happy.

But me and my bud were going to have npc squad fights. Sigh.

sinkoman said:
No, that's not the issue. If you go to the steam support forums, you'll see that i'm not the only one with the issue. Apparently, in the update, valve messed with the listen.cfg, so now allot of people can't create gmod listening servers. Hell, some people can't even create listen servers for hl2 dm or cs:s.

Some admin dude said they'd have it sorted out by tommorow though. So I are happy.

But me and my bud were going to have npc squad fights. Sigh.
Looks like you are right. Good job the SrcDS is a small download really. ;)

after this update, whenever i try to start up steam it says its updating, then that its unable to contact the steam servers, and closes itself down. But my internet and LAN work fine on that computer. Also steam works fine on my other computer. wtf

Oh yes, very soon. Didn't they say VAC2 would be coming "very soon" like... months ago?

Juggy said:
Oh yes, very soon. Didn't they say VAC2 would be coming "very soon" like... months ago?
It actually already works on servers in the beta group.

The only thing it does on other servers is logging.

Smigit said:
how? Its an admin configurable thing that they can disable/enable. How would you slip it without people finding out within 10 minutes. The intentions isnt to ban everyone anyway, its to stop people cheating and if letting people know that VAC2 is active accomplishes that then why not tell them.

Yeah, but they also said back in March or something that they wouldn't be saying anything more about VAC2, as they hope to catch as many hackers as they can.

I noticed the little updating symbol on my steam this morning. It'd already done the update in this article, so does anyone know what it was?

Oh and restart steam now and they've released the update for the steam.dll thing that was missing to be fixed, not that bigger news to suffice a new thread in my eyes but just thought id tell you. Community game support will be happy!

Dinkleberry said:
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84400
That answered my question. And proved Glenn wrong ;)
Good to know though
Well i posted mine at Today, 12:43 PM, and Kage posted his at Today, 02:23 PM. So i beat him by a considerable margin, although i'm just a regular member so any thread eventually made by a mod would be posted in instead...therefore surplus to requirements. Point made i guess :)

Back