"Stormtrooper aim"

TriggerHappy

Reaction score
One thing I noticed in the video is that the combine soldiers seem to have very bad aim. This isn't necessarily bad as long as the game is fun, but I wonder if something was changed for the demo. You can see a few instances during the e3 video, like around the time the radiator is picked up, where Gordon seems to be in a hail of bullets but takes little damage. Maybe we will see more clearly with the new videos, but it seemed a little odd. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has noticed it and if there are any thoughts about just how tough an individual combine soldier should be anyway. Maybe they'll be like stormtroopers and we'll mow through dozens of them with ease?

I guess they reduce difficulty to a minimum for presentation purposes.

Originally posted by TriggerHappy
One thing I noticed in the video is that the combine soldiers seem to have very bad aim. This isn't necessarily bad as long as the game is fun, but I wonder if something was changed for the demo. You can see a few instances during the e3 video, like around the time the radiator is picked up, where Gordon seems to be in a hail of bullets but takes little damage. Maybe we will see more clearly with the new videos, but it seemed a little odd. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has noticed it and if there are any thoughts about just how tough an individual combine soldier should be anyway. Maybe they'll be like stormtroopers and we'll mow through dozens of them with ease?

I think they decreased the damage just for the demo or something. I mean, Gordon gets hit with a bullet an looses just 1 armor? That doesn't seem right.

i think the aiming quality was reduced for the demo, its much cooler to see tracer fire and bullets flying than to get shot in the head and die in the middle of a demo.

Maybe they didn't want the player to get hurt too much because they wanted to keep it a suprise when you find out that when you get hurt enough, you start to trail blood and limp and walk/run slower.......

i wish...

they downed the difficulty of course... it's was on very easy ... or something.

Maybe gordon had super armor so thats y he took very little dmg. Also, i would agree on the idea that they weaken the enemy fire for presentation purposes:borg:

Damage was tweaked, it was an official saying don't remember where though

Originally posted by DeathScythe
Maybe gordon had super armor so thats y he took very little dmg. Also, i would agree on the idea that they weaken the enemy fire for presentation purposes:borg:

Yeah, Valve didn't wanna get pwned by their own AI, in their own demo :LOL:

It would be funny though, all those people laughinh at them, and throwing stuff. teehee :D

Definately much lower damage: Gordon was getting hit but barely taking any damage at all.

However, I actualy think that, while I'm sure their accuracy will be adjustable, having lots and lots of less accurate baddies would be lots more fun than just a few with dead aim.

Originally posted by Apos
Definately much lower damage: Gordon was getting hit but barely taking any damage at all.

However, I actualy think that, while I'm sure their accuracy will be adjustable, having lots and lots of less accurate baddies would be lots more fun than just a few with dead aim.

I agree; it wouldn't really be fun if HL2 was like a bad game of CS where someone's using a headshot srcipt.

nah i disagree, personally i need to be challenged and dont want it to be a frag fest, where i lose the plot after a while and get bored.

thats enemies with guns anyway, would be fun to have lots of the 'headcrabbed' people comming towards you like there was in the e3 vid, reminds me of the hl1 mod 'They Hunger'

thats just my preference anyway :)

I agree with switch, I want to feel like if I'm not careful, I'll be killed. Not like a tactical shooter like Ghost Recon, but where the environment still feels dangerous and you're watching every corner. Maybe System Shock 2-ish.

the aim will prolly belike grunt aim which is pretty damn good

I will personally kill Gabe if this is how the combine will be in the game. In the demo, a soldier shoots, and one out of every 3 times he does damage -- 1 health or armor.

I think different enemies will have different strengths. The combine soldiers, for example, have large numbers and firepower on their side. They might not be particularly good shots though.

The assassins, on the other hand, have dead good aim and tend to ambush you rather then attack you stright on. They are obviously a much tougher, stealthier enemy. Plus now they'll also have robotic assasins with sniper rifles, so youre really have to watch your back.

Of course the game will have tweakable difficulty.
"I will personally kill Gabe.."
That was the dumbest comment ever.

The damage system was purely for the sake of the demo. They're trying to show off prettyness not gameplay.

Take your head out of your asses and think about it before posting.

its strange why their aim is tampered with so much,
seen as the demo shouldn't have taken that much longer to make with a harder setting, so maybe they are hiding something.

But if all games do this for movies, then it's probably just for convenience, i wouldnt knowas i haven't analised a games as much as i have for half life 2.

It's not hard to get enemies to have good aim: it's hard to have them have realistically bad aim. :)

Well, VALVe may have many surprises for us, lets hope..

if this game turned out just like system shock 2... i'd be reallly dissapointed, cause that game came out years ago and i've played it already :E

BUT if it came out very much like system shock, except more valve-vy, it would be awesome!! that game r0x0rs!

-Phision

just go play Doom or Serious sam if you want lots of shite enemies. god dont ruin our game when there are plenty of alternaives for frag hunters like youself........ i want something with super intelligent AI that will make me think and work all the time to evade and destroy.
i want to be able to "shoot and scoot" personally.

Kam

It's not hard to get enemies to have good aim: it's hard to have them have realistically bad aim. :)

Maybe Gabe decided to take a page out of the book of James Bond/A-Team/Any action movie gunmen ;)

i want something with super intelligent AI that will make me think and work all the time to evade and destroy.

Super intelligent AI doesn't include completely unreal trick shots out of every shot. That's cheap and downright boring, especially with tons of enemies. I didn't say that they should be lousy at everything: just that it's a good thing that they have less than perfect aim with every bullet out of a machine gun. More realism, in this case, equals more fun.

And, in case you didn't notice, I don't work for Valve. I'm not designing the game, so there is no chance I'll be having anything to do with "ruining" it.

Back