Strange fps problem (9600XT)

mayfer

Reaction score
even though i usually get around 50 fps during the game and 55 fps in the stress test with everything on high, 1024x768 and 4xAA, in some maps (happens the most in dust 1/2 and italy) when i am looking at a certain direction, my fps goes down to 1 or 2. this keeps happening in the same parts of the maps when i'm looking at the same direction.

the strange thing is that this only happens when i use high quality textures. on medium quality, the game flows around 50 fps. but when i use high quality textures, this starts happening.
btw this doesn't only happen when i'm looking at large areas, it also happens when i'm looking directly at a wall close-up.

my system: amd athlon xp 2600+, radeon 9600xt 128 mb, 512 mb ram.

does this happen to anybody else?

I sort of get this, I just get low Fps in certain spots in all the maps.

maybe it has something to do with 9600 chips?

Ok i have set everything to concentrate on preformance over quality...but i get FPS of 10 to 25

my system :
2.4Ghz Pentium 4
768 Mb's RAM
128mb Ati Radeon 9800 Pro Excalibur with IceQ fan

Even on the stress test with low quality its just 20 fps,

how come everyones got higher wen there on a similar or less specification system???

Sounds like you might need more RAM or to have fewer processes running in the background. That advice goes to The Caldo and mayfer.

I have a ...

2.2 p4
512 RDRAM
GeForce4 Ti 4600

I ripped up a suprising 68 or so on the VST.
Everything was on Medium for the most part in 1024. With that though, I have odd FPS drops whenever I look at the ground or a wall upclose. To solve this I disabled mat_specular and my fps shot up from 30 looking at the ground to about 110. Maybe you could try giving that a whirl? There is almost no visual quality loss. Just the "shine" you see on some surfaces.

The Caldo said:
Ok i have set everything to concentrate on preformance over quality...but i get FPS of 10 to 25

my system :
2.4Ghz Pentium 4
768 Mb's RAM
128mb Ati Radeon 9800 Pro Excalibur with IceQ fan

Even on the stress test with low quality its just 20 fps,

how come everyones got higher wen there on a similar or less specification system???

I have an:
2.4Ghz AMD clocked at 1999Mhz
(but I heard it that 2.4 p4 are better, can't be sure)
512ram
ATI RADEON 9800 pro 128mb ( sapphire atlantis, no oc, no flash, no extra cooler)

*(means I only did the stress test once, so I have only one result)

In the stresstest I get with everything on high, res 1024x768, no aa and no vertical sync= between 58,52 and 62,77 fps.
With everything on high and aa at 6x and v-sync on, I get 54 fps.*

But I do agree that scource it teh wierd:
1024x768- everything on low and no aa and no v-sync= 61,72 fps*
640x480- everything high, no v-sync and no aa= 62,52*
Oh yeah and when I change teh video setting sometimes that results in purple glow, so I have to exit and start css again.

You should really check if you have the latest directx drivers and the latest catalyst( or else you should try omega drivers, they sometimes give better preformance), you should also check if you havbe the latest windows patch, but better don't download winx sp patch 2 cause that needs to be a little improved it's firewall can give problems. Furthermore you should check for spyware and viruses, this steam thread lists everything you need to get http://steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76462
I personally use adware se, spyware blaster, bazooka scanner, spyware search and destroy,spyware guard, and housecall, the online virus scanner( but for me it only works with IE and not firefox) But once you go and play css you should offcourse turn those off, especially any virusscanner that runs in the background.

mayfer said:
even though i usually get around 50 fps during the game and 55 fps in the stress test with everything on high, 1024x768 and 4xAA, in some maps (happens the most in dust 1/2 and italy) when i am looking at a certain direction, my fps goes down to 1 or 2. this keeps happening in the same parts of the maps when i'm looking at the same direction.

the strange thing is that this only happens when i use high quality textures. on medium quality, the game flows around 50 fps. but when i use high quality textures, this starts happening.
btw this doesn't only happen when i'm looking at large areas, it also happens when i'm looking directly at a wall close-up.

my system: amd athlon xp 2600+, radeon 9600xt 128 mb, 512 mb ram.

does this happen to anybody else?

I have a 9800 pro, the exact same thing happens to me sometimes... it doesn't happen everytime, just every now and then (and in specific places in the map) very odd... sometimes I play at around 90+ fps... then could be the same map, same people, same server, same settings... and I get like 20fps... doesn't make sense.

Grey Fox said:
I have an:
2.4Ghz AMD clocked at 1999Mhz
(but I heard it that 2.4 p4 are better, can't be sure)
512ram
ATI RADEON 9800 pro 128mb ( sapphire atlantis, no oc, no flash, no extra cooler)

So did you actually underclock that processor? Or do you have a 2400+?

overclocked a 2400+ probably :)
cuz my 2600 is clocked at 1.87 at default.

nope, he just dosn't know his Ghz from his Mhz :p

my 2400+ runs at 1999mhz (or 1.9ghz) but AMD CPUs do more instructions per CPU cycle (each mhz is roughly enough for 1 million CPU cycles) than intel chips do.

So although the 2400+ runs 400mhz slower than a pentium 2.4ghz (2400mhz) its ment to be able to crunch as many numbers as a pentium 2.4ghz cpu (or 2400mhz... ;))

AMD name all their CPUs like that for marketing reasons (so that your average punter dosn't walk into a shop (or surf onto :p) and think 'hmm this intel has more mhz... must be better...'

Hope thats made things clearer grey fox (btw did you used to play day of defeat)

And Caldo, I need more info before I can help you out buddy. what resolution are you playing at, how much AA and AF are you using? it could be that you have some high end features cranked up in your ATI control panel that Source is just pushing to far. you should also check the health of your PC in general as has been suggested.
Make sure your checking for adware, spyware and virus, not running to many background taks and defrag one every few months :)

No my processor is not overclocked,
See the thing is that an AMD processor clocked at 1999Mhz is comperable to an p4 2.4Ghz, and they feard that if people saw a 2GHz AMD and an p4 2.4 that they would choose the p4, so now they don't list their processors not at their actual clock speed but with what p4 processor it is comparable to in performance.

(edit: malarkee just beat me to it, so you can ignore this, and yes I have played DoD but only a little, but I'm not shure I used this nick, I think I used my cs nick(Tactical_Noob).

hehehe I see that my explination should of probably been aimed at mayfer seeing as you said the same thing as me pretty much ;)

I thought you might of been an old clan mate from back in one of the DoD betas but then again I've seen more than one grey fox before :p

Back