Strider in Benefactory - Help!

Johnnny49

Reaction score
Ok I have the super gravity gun and kicked butt with it to this point. Now I am in the long hallway that you jump down to and I get through two waves of Combine by blasting them with pods and the gravity gun. Now the Strider just kills me within a few shots.....I use alt fire to get orbs from the generators...but there just doesnt seem to be enough time to hit it with them enough. Is there some place that provides good cover so I can grab energy orbs then step out and fire them at the Strider? It gets me wherever I try to take cover.....either that or where I have good cover is too far from the generators to grab the orbs. Any help is appreciated. :sniper:

The pods provide good cover, but I just shot the orbs from a long range distance continuely. Trying running around and launching, there are plenty of orbs to use.

I found it helpful to drag a computer or two and set those up as cover.

If your at the point where i think you are, on my second run through the game i didnt kill it. i just ran like the wind.

first time around i got 'im.

I arranged my cove in a way so I could grab an orb while covered, jump up and shoot and duck down straight away and hope it hit.

I just strafe from cover to cover, and while I strafe I just grab the orbs and shoot...works great

I used the fixed pod stack and pop in and out to blast him.

Lmao @ Benefactory. I can't believe so many people believed it was called that...stupid Prima guide.

Are you playing easy or hard level?

Whatever the case, make sure you've stocked up you health and ammo, fire those orbs at the strider. You need to have good aim, and take cover, you should have got enough practice fighting striders outdoors.

Actually I think you can just run between it's legs and not bother fighting it.

Good luck sir! :sniper:

Possibly Benefactory was Valve's original name for the chapter/level? Meh, there must be some reason.

Took me a while, but I completed the Strider battle on my first try. If you discount the time I died just trying to reach it... bah. A lot of it's luck, I guess- twas fun.

Edcrab said:
Possibly Benefactory was Valve's original name for the chapter/level? Meh, there must be some reason.

Yes, it obviously was. Prima's not stupid, they wrote the guide before final release.

It's not Prima's fault, they were given a build of the game long before it was released. They have pieces of the script that were cut from the final game as well. They merley built off what they had.

Alot of people complain about the gman sighting being missing, when infact the guide has actual pictures of the binocs in the hut - but Valve just hadn't put them in at that time. (Cubbage and gman)

Carry a computer as cover, drop, flick and grab, toss, duck, pick up, move close, drop, flick and grab, toss, duck, rinse and repeat...

I killed it with pods and orbs... on my second attempt.
First time i tried to see if i could kill it with combine bodies, it didn't work

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet (or I could just be especially cross-eyed tonight), but... what I did was to run from side to side and hide behind the pods (or the spaces in the walls into which they fit when they're being held) until I got close enough, then pull over an orb and launch it in the direction of the angled ceiling under which the Strider is standing. Orb bounces downwards, and smacks right into the Strider's head. Two or three shots (on normal) and it's down. It takes some good judgement to be able to do this.

Anticitizen said:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet (or I could just be especially cross-eyed tonight), but... what I did was to run from side to side and hide behind the pods (or the spaces in the walls into which they fit when they're being held) until I got close enough, then pull over an orb and launch it in the direction of the angled ceiling under which the Strider is standing. Orb bounces downwards, and smacks right into the Strider's head. Two or three shots (on normal) and it's down. It takes some good judgement to be able to do this.

You beat me to it!
That's exactly what I did!

I used the computers as a small barricade as the waves of combine came along, ducking up and down as needed. Once the last combine twitched on the floor, I did the ducking left and right technique. Did you know you can hide the spaces in the walls even without the pods? Hiding behind the last pods lined up at the end, I just stayed put, drawing from one side and shooting at the ceiling on the other.

It took me 5 shots to take it down on normal though.

Thanks I got by the Strider pretty much in that way finally, though I carried a computer I ripped off the wall down the hallway with me as cover, threw it at combine and dodged a lot. I bounced orbs off the walls from behind cover until enough of them hit the strider to kill it. :)

Back