STUCK: Entanglement

Dill0n

Reaction score
for the life of me i cannot seem to get past the area with the 3 reprogrammed turrets at my disposal, with the unending stream of combine soldiers.

i was sooooo close at one point, had about 2 health left, heard alyx say something about meeting her somewhere, then one of those manhacks took me out. any tips and/or strategy to help me get past this level?

When she finishes sorting her stuff out, jump onto the teleport with her

That's the bit I think your talking about anyway :D

Keep the turrent in one place, near the lockers, so all of them can cover both directions. Don't forget to use the manipulator to put them back up if they have fallen. Don't forget to use recharge your health and armour. If it's still to hard, change to easy before the turrets part, and then change back.

Vormulac said:
That's the bit I think your talking about anyway :D
no, i don't think i've gotten quite that far yet. i just need to kill all the combine soldiers.

thanks for the advice, The_Monkey.

You can always bring another turret with you from the previous section to give a bit more fire power. I've also heard of people stacking boxes and climbing to the 2nd level catwalk. It took me a few times to do this. I brought one xtra turret with me. I set up shop on the side of the room with the combine control console with 2 turrets shooting down the middle corridor and 2 shooting toward the front. I then hadled all the enemies coming from the back manually. I took no dmg on hard after using this method.

Yeah the box stacking method worked for me............one on each balcony and one pointing too the stairs and killed them losing only a few points of health.

Took me about 20 attempts to figure this out though!

I found putting the turrets in corners helped protect them from being spotted and knocked over. I hid in a dark little room with only one way in or out, and I kept one turret with me. Double-shotgun blast most of the soldiers.

It's tough and one of my favourite parts of the game because of that. :)

Dill0n said:
no, i don't think i've gotten quite that far yet. i just need to kill all the combine soldiers.

thanks for the advice, The_Monkey.
I do not think you can kill them all. My guess is that there is an endless supply. Regarding what to do, I agree with Vormulac. As an expansion regarding what he stated:
You just have to hold them off long enough for Alyx to get the equipment ready. When she jumps in the machine, she will tell you, although you may not hear over the shooting. Just join her at that time.

I hid in one of the dark cells. Brought the turrets in with me, and pointed them outward. The walls of the cell usually kept them from falling over, and the only real threat were grenades... which I could bounce out with the grav gun.

At the end of the round, the two piles of dead bodies lining each side of the door had me laughing out loud.

My best advice to you is to set the turrets up in a way that allows them to somewhat "cover" eachother. I set mine up in opposite corners pointed at eachother. That way if a soldier was behind one of them, the other across the way could shoot him. The third one I had covering the middle corridor. It took me a few tries to do, but I got it once I focused more on making sure they stayed up.

I know a lot of people who got stuck here, myself included, this method seems to work well:

I went with the cheaping method after I died loads of times - on the right there is a narrow balcony which has a dead-end corridor behind it - stack all 6 boxes at your disposal to get up there, and put all the turrets up behind the rail. I had 4 turrets cos I'm cool, but 3 will do the job. Note that the soldiers won't invade until you set the last turret on the floor, so take your time. Then just camp way back in the corridor where the soldiers can't see you, and wait for the screaming to die down :p

I did this strategy using 5 turrets, the two from the previous defense area, but this can be done with the three normal ones:

what I did was I put 3 steel barrels in one of the litte cells in the left cell block. then I put two of the turrets in there. I then put a wooden crate near the entrance, grabbed the last turret and put it in the little cell. I put them facing the three directions they come from, straight, left and right. then i jumped up on the barrels/hid behind them with the grav gun out. I just sat there and tossed grenades out that got tossed in, and occasionally SMG'ed them. Didn't take one bit of damage, and this was on the hard difficulty. Most of them get mowed down long before you can take injury or before they can throw nades. and you just grav gun the grenades out of there that they do manage to get in.

If you do it in the little cell, there is only one place they can come at you from, and it is guarded by 3 or more turrets, with barrels for shields if you can't grab the nades.

wow, an overwheming amount of advice i hadn't even thought of. i realized they don't attack until the last turret is in place, but to really build up a defense, or even go to the second level, were things i hadn't even thought of ... was thinking plain old american brute force was the way to go.

thanks for the help, fellas. :cheese:

Why does everyone use these slightly 'cheaty' methods? It's not that hard? Here's my advice:

- Set up the turrets so they cover eachother to some extent.
- Barricade any doorways the turrets don't cover with filing cabinets and/or boxes (there are filing cabinets back where you cam from before you dropped down).
- Barricading entrances in such a way that enemies cannot get to the turrets to get them over is also a good tactic.
- Make sure that you have easy access to the health and armour and that getting to them will not put you in undue danger.
- Keep your manipulator on standbye to stop those pesky manhacks, grab grenades before they topple your turrets, and to pick up fallen ones.
- Don't leave everything to the turrets. Pop in and out of of cover, using the pulse rifle at long range and the shotgun at short.
- If your barricades don't hold, you can always throw them at people.

Dill0n said:
wow, an overwheming amount of advice i hadn't even thought of. i realized they don't attack until the last turret is in place, but to really build up a defense, or even go to the second level, were things i hadn't even thought of ... was thinking plain old american brute force was the way to go.

thanks for the help, fellas. :cheese:

well, getting slaughtered 4 or 5 times in a row trying to run around the whole place keeping turrets up wisens one. I played really conservatively there on hard difficulty cuz the troops with the pulse rifles can REALLY tear you up fast if you don't have cover and don't kill them instantly.

Sulkdodds said:
Why does everyone use these slightly 'cheaty' methods? It's not that hard? Here's my advice:

- Set up the turrets so they cover eachother to some extent.
- Barricade any doorways the turrets don't cover with filing cabinets and/or boxes (there are filing cabinets back where you cam from before you dropped down).
- Barricading entrances in such a way that enemies cannot get to the turrets to get them over is also a good tactic.
- Make sure that you have easy access to the health and armour and that getting to them will not put you in undue danger.
- Keep your manipulator on standbye to stop those pesky manhacks, grab grenades before they topple your turrets, and to pick up fallen ones.
- Don't leave everything to the turrets. Pop in and out of of cover, using the pulse rifle at long range and the shotgun at short.
- If your barricades don't hold, you can always throw them at people.

It's called creativity. It is what valve was hoping people would do, use the physics and imagination to be able to play the game with different tactics. If it was all just run and shoot the game wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Rocketman9mm said:
It's called creativity. It is what valve was hoping people would do, use the physics and imagination to be able to play the game with different tactics. If it was all just run and shoot the game wouldn't be nearly as fun.
which is also obvious when they steered clear of the normal jumping-type puzzle. how cool was the sandtraps level where you had to build your own makeshift pathway, so as not to step on the sand which would stir up the antlions? if it was just jump from rock to rock, it'd be boring as hell. granted, making the pathway out of scraps was labor-intensive and time-consuming, but it makes you use your head.

I meant the people who just hid in the cells with a shotgun. Believe me, I know how fun messing with physics can be. On Sandtraps, I didn't just build a pathway. I built an entire bridge, supported a full 2 metres off the ground. :D

I too was having trouble with this section ... I am going to start that map over again cuz there is stuff in retrospect that I could have done better ... Last night I kept dying and it was frustrating :(

I will go back tonite and do it a different way. Thanks for the idea's fella's :)

Sulkdodds said:
I meant the people who just hid in the cells with a shotgun. Believe me, I know how fun messing with physics can be. On Sandtraps, I didn't just build a pathway. I built an entire bridge, supported a full 2 metres off the ground. :D

Uhm, you don't get any points in a war for style. Hiding in a bottleneck is a time-honored tradition dating back to the dawn of war itself.

turret battle demo

^ ^ here's another way to do it. both turret battles in just over 5 minutes.

place the demo in your ...half-life 2/hl2 folder. drop console and type demoui to bring up a vgui demo player. or bind a key to it.

bind f1 "demoui"

another demo

^ ^ another way to skip the first turret battle. or you can make a stack with other stuff laying around as well, but i just used a grav gun jump to get on the ledge.

*note from first demo

if you dont kill both guards at first control room, the turrets will not be reconfigured to help you, so if you pull them out they will shoot you.

put them in opposite corners so they dont get naded

one in the middle passage behind cover of ammo box

either hide in corner or run round like hell but make sure u watch your turrets firing

use shotgun headshots to kill combine quick

oh, and yea, u can actually take a turret about with u if u ca handle it through the level. picking one up and walking round with it as a weapon is cool :D

got past it, although in a non-glorious way. pretty much barricaded myself in the one cell with 2 of the turrets in the doorway, and one in the corner just outside the cell flanked by 2 barrels (in the hopes that they would protect it). put a couple boxes and barrels in front of the cell's turrets, and just used the grav gun to grab/toss manhacks and grenades, and catch flying turrets before they were disabled.

not very creative, but it did the trick.

If you are still stuck (I didn't read the posts) what I did was turn them around and put them back in the lcoker for all 3 of them and crouched in the other locker with the shotty. I lost no health and the turrets rocked

Dill0n said:
which is also obvious when they steered clear of the normal jumping-type puzzle. how cool was the sandtraps level where you had to build your own makeshift pathway, so as not to step on the sand which would stir up the antlions? if it was just jump from rock to rock, it'd be boring as hell. granted, making the pathway out of scraps was labor-intensive and time-consuming, but it makes you use your head.

heh, i feel kinda stupid... i never realized you could make a pathway, i just scampered alot and used alot of ammo up... no wonder that section seemed excedingly dificult... :smoking:

lord dubu said:
I hid in one of the dark cells. Brought the turrets in with me, and pointed them outward. The walls of the cell usually kept them from falling over, and the only real threat were grenades... which I could bounce out with the grav gun.

At the end of the round, the two piles of dead bodies lining each side of the door had me laughing out loud.

Yep thats the same method I used :D

Back