Stuck in "Our benifactors", *Spoilers*

Puzzlemaker

Reaction score
Okay, I got the cool gravity gun. I ran down the hallways, blasting away, having lots and lots of fun. Then I come to a small fence. I cant jump, for some reason. I cant get past it, and I dont know what to do. Please help!

I'm not there yet, but is it possible that you'e supposed to use the Grav gun to stack things to use to climb over?

It's a bug. I loaded another save (to see if i could jump there) and when I loaded my Benefactors save back I could jump again!

I'm stuck with the same problem.... all my saves are now around the same bit, so can't reload another save, to fix it. Is there another way around it??

No shit? I finished the game cos I thought the new grav gun was either too heavy (that pussy breen can barely lift it) or it was magnetising my feet to the floor, which made no sense since I could still sprint.

I got over that gay fence by stacking a terminal a particular way, and then sort of ... crouching up it, thought I had exploited my way through hehe.

That's a pretty poor bug I must say, I died twice and it was still there.

still stuck :'(

I've tried reloading both by save points and by 'reload' in console. I've tried re-assigning jump in both settings and using 'bind' in console. I've tried various combinations of all of the above, but i stilll can't Jump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frown:

It was annoying enough when i thought it was part of the game, some massive gravity field or summin and wasted 2 hours wandering around the same bit examining every inch of it!!!! Now I know it's a bug, I'm not a happy bunny. :angry:

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I don't remember a small fence in that part. Is it possible you could display a screenshot here? I could probably help then.

Its the part where you jump over the fence and land on that circular platform with the energy beam in the centre and if you lob combine in, they dicintegrate

launch the game with the console , type sv_cheats 1 then noclip. u can float through the air over it.

I have no ide what part youare talking about! I made it through "Our Benefactors" with no problems... if you're still having problems screen-shot it!

Before HL² I had problems in CS with my jump and reload button not working.. but rebinding them worked each time... are you sure you used +jump not merely jump?

i have the same bug. Jump is gone!! :( no clip worked to get over the fence but i dont wanna have to use that everytime i need to jump. I tried re binding, via option and console with +jump no workie though.

i updated steam thinking that might help. no dice.

reloading back to an earlier save was the only thing that worked.

ps. Great ending!

LOL, I thought it was part of the game, so I improvised my way by ripping a terminal off the wall and using it as a walking board and sprinted across :D
This tells what a great addition physics are, you start using them to really solve problems.

But if you get by this fence, there's another ramp up ahead, use those 'cocoons' and sprint.

I did what PVT RYAN said but I get to a part like in the beginning of our Benifactor and I cant jump into the 'pod'. I don/t want to start over in 'follow Freeman' Any other work around, bind doesn't work!

i played through the whole game without ever encountering one error or bug (never having to use a cheat.. such as no clip through something) at all, so i must be one of the very very few :)

I'm having this 'no-jumping' problem too at the same spot as the other poster. Suckage. This is a particularly obnoxious bug.

Hope reloading works.

thanks guys.... yes i was binding +jump, but it still no workie :(

I refused to cheat.... ended up finding a peice of a console, that was thin enough to walk up without needing to jump, but then i came to another bit where i killed a strider and there was no other way over a step, than to 'noclip' I tried using bits of the strider, but you cant stand on the legs, so had to cheat :(

What a crap ending :)

I ended up restarting at Follow Freeman and when I got to Our Benifactor it worked fine. Took a few minutes of my life but what the heck...Nasty little glitch they got there!

ahh!

If like me, reload and rebinding don't work.

Click "New Game" and start "Our Benefactors" to reload the full level

LOL... I know it's obvious now, but untill you finish the game, you don't realise that you can start a 'new game' on any damn level.

same problem here, I just wasted 45 minutes of body tossing and falling off ledges. Lame bug.

Yes this bug is retarded, i didnt realize it was a bug till the strider section, when i couldnt get up the couple stairs, so i stacked some bodies, strider parts, and those cage/shells to climb the stairs.

They need to fix this. I even tried reloading at the point where you drop into the chamber, after restarting the game, and it still did that. Kind of annoying

Samon said:
Its the part where you jump over the fence and land on that circular platform with the energy beam in the centre and if you lob combine in, they dicintegrate

If you don't have a host for the pic, send me a PM and I'll host it for you.

*I don't remember having a fence there either, and I finished the game last night.

Everything worked fine for me...

This is NOT a bug - SPOILER below

Ok, I had the same problem as everyone else, and found this forum. I tried restarting the level, but still no jump. You can't jump on this level, as there is an easy way over the rail.

*** SPOILER ***

When you start the level and you pick up the gravity gun, knock out the first wave of troops, but maintain your position.

Here is the spoiler. Look up from the starting position and you will see a tiny object floating way above your head. Use the gravity gun to bring it down. You will need to get to the rail with this object and place it on a 45 degree angle with the floor and top of the rail, with the forked end on the floor. Thats it. You simply walk up to the top of the rail, crouch, and presto - you're on the other side of the rail.

I thought is was a bug as well, but it wasn't. Man, this game is a blast.

It must be a bug because I never had the problem. If in fact the jumping is to be taken away then it is a bug on my end, but for some reason I doubt that jumping was to be taken away. More then likely it is a problem with that script that takes your weapons. If you notice it kind of holds you down, it probably didn't get turned off correctly in the script for those of you having problems. Maybe a patch will come out fixing this odd bug.

spent 1 hour to finding my way without jumping. gave up. come here and realized that it is not only me! WTF!

can someone please show a screenshot? I dont remember even having to jump on anything

u had to jump over the fense. but since most of us got this bug, it is impossible to play. after i started over that level, it works fine.

I have had a few bugs too.

First, when you throw ball with Dog (after getting the gravity gun) he (Dog) just kept standing still somewhere and nothing happened. Had to reload and play that part over and then it worked.

Second, after the tough ass turret part that have been discussed somewhere else, Alyx is supposed to arrive. Problem was that after killing all the combines (I was kind of stupid/stubborn there, I killed them all myself without using the turrets, I think I died at least a hundred times :thumbs: ) one of the manhacks was stuck somewhere. I could hear it, but not see it anywhere, and that caused Alyx not to appear. Guess she won't come untill it's all safe. I waited for a long time, and then used noclip. Didn't want to die another 100 times playing that part over again :upstare:
The manhack was stuck in another part of the map (where you came from) and without noclip I don't think it would have been possible to get to it...

Well, just wanted to share. New on the forum. Cheers!

jer1691 said:
i played through the whole game without ever encountering one error or bug (never having to use a cheat.. such as no clip through something) at all, so i must be one of the very very few :)

Same here. Only thing I encountered was a crash and re-start on the final battle and thats it. i do have an audio bug though where when I face people I can barely hear them but when I face away from them I cna hear them but this also happens in Doom 3 so it is not half-Life 2's fault.

OFFTOPIC: maverickUK mebbe your speakers are out-of-phase?
that will cause sounds panned centre to disappear.
you need to reverse the polarity of the wiring on one speaker if it is.

ONTOPIC: i had the same no-jump problem - but not the first time i played thru the game. so it must be a bug 'cos it doesn't always happen.

when i happened to me i noclipped thru the barrier, then checked my keybinds and found jump had been unbound. i rebound jump (i use mouse2, not space), and everything was OK.

Frag how do I reverse the polarity? I think I should set it to 2 speakrs on options as I don't think they are 5.1

I didn't get any bugs at all, apart from a little bit of stuttering.

It reminds me of "On a rail" in HL1 where my feet got caught in a lift, so I had to noclip out of it.

After that point, my suspension of disbelief was broken and I had broken the seal on sv_cheats - the gaame wasn't the same for me after that point.

Back