stuff to model

A

Alcrifice

yea someone should start a character modeling contest or somthing bc i'm bored and never get any ideas of stuff to make.

or someone be really nice and make a small list of creative ideas for us character modelers to take a stab at.

you want a challenge eh?

ok then..

model this!
Ara0159_Royo.JPG

:D

just the woman, but you gotta do it using only what we imagine will be available for a HL2 game model. So no hair plugins, gotta use poly's to fake the hair.. You can model the background with the zombie horde if you want. But the main character, the female needs to be done as if its for a mod

image © louis royo

nar, u should model armitage. I am modelling her atm. Its such a ****jing challenge to get an anime face correct. Look at this

art_of_armitage.jpg

lol daft thing is, while I was searching on google for a suitible image, I actually past one of her and almost considered it, freaky :)

For a contest you need to set some criteria that needs to be met.
Like,
maximum number of verticies and triangles
will the model will have a normal map applied or not
will the model have Lod levels included
does she need to be texture mapped
what file format do you want? or will it just be screenshots?
whats the deadline?
should she be rigged and if so in what way(just bones or perhaps Character studio?)
If rigged should she have a walking animation to demo the rigging?

I'm interested, I could spare a few hours a week for such a fun project.

How about super heroes and villains? That would make a pretty fun and challenging contest. Lots of bulging muscles and funny looking costumes.

Super heroes are pretty tough because you need extensive knowledge of anatomy. As soon as you misplace one muscle it looks unnatural and 'wrong'.

:afro:

Well one has been planned, but i need to put together a set of rules, first, they are unfortunetly still in the writing as i've had alot of work these last weeks :(

but hopefully i shall finish them soon....

awesome ;] dont make it too complicated like all the stuff punisher mentioned or else nobody will finish. All you really need is a maximum polycount and maybe a skin depending on that. also dont go overboard with the polylimit. you want to make it a reasonable challenge so people will actually do it again ;]

cant wait for the topic ill be watching ^_^

aye, what i might do is have a week comp, one week and then a fortnight one the next.....so we can have a low poly comp then a high poly comp, then a low poly....etc

what do you think?

sounds awesome ;] i'd participate in em all. 1 week may stress the budget unless you do model only. perhaps model week1 and the skin week2. The highpoly competition itself may require 2 weeks just for the model. but not everyone needs the skin its always a great accomplishment just getting the model done. plus people can focus more on one field at a time ;]
i say
1 week for the low poly model contest
2 weeks for high poly contest.

skinning contests seperate ;]

This could turn out to be pretty fun as long as enough people participate. I certainly will as time allows.

Perhaps you should make a new thread for it, Stone, so everyone can discuss the rules as a group and work together to finish up writing them.

if i model and skin this can i keep it and not give it to your mod? ;]

Lol Majestic, you take any and every opportunity to pimp your mod, really cool :)

If I didn't have an aversion to anime, malin would be one of my fav mods by now :)

:afro:

that could be a fun character to model, and I hate anime too.. it must be the coffee in my system, making me be nice grrr

u hate anime? ****ING TRAITORS! anime rocks ya boxers LOL

Originally posted by Alcrifice
sounds awesome ;] i'd participate in em all. 1 week may stress the budget unless you do model only. perhaps model week1 and the skin week2. The highpoly competition itself may require 2 weeks just for the model. but not everyone needs the skin its always a great accomplishment just getting the model done. plus people can focus more on one field at a time ;]
i say
1 week for the low poly model contest
2 weeks for high poly contest.

skinning contests seperate ;]

ingenius, just like cold Fusion did. :D

so we'd have a model one week, and then the chosen model had to be skinned the next week :p

cold fusion?

i dont think its right to have the chosen model to have to be skinned by the next week. unless im misunderstanding you.. wheres the competition if only 1 person is doing it. i think just getting the model done gives you a product to participate with if a skinning contest takes place. you want to actually have models to skin, so people will want to participate in the modeling contests

enough babbling already someone get 1 started bc im sure lots of peeps are waiting. ;] just be sure to have submissions due on sunday night or monday so people will have the opportunity to work on it over the weekend.

Back