Stupid new hardware!

L

lethalhamster

I just got GeForce FX 5200 8x AGP 128mb video card (used to have a GeForce 4 MX 4x AGP) I know it isnt much of an upgrade, but the FX 5200 was cheap :). Anyway, HL2 would run fine at medium settings with my GeForce 4(still pretty bad looking, it is DX 7 hardware) but now HL2 closes and tries to restart in minimum settings when I try to play it with my FX 5200! I have all the drivers, and DX 9.0c, what could possibly be wrong! I have an Athlon XP 2400+ and 512mb RAM.

Try running the game in DX8.1. Those FX's really can't handle 9.0, even though they're advertised to. They can RUN it, but it's complete when doing so.

To run the game in DX8.1, go into Steam>Play Games and right click on Half Life 2 and select Properties. Now go into Launch Options and in the text line enter "-dxlevel 81" without the quotations.

Oh and by the way, just for future refference, this should be in the "Hardware and Softer" forum. We could give allot more help there.

EDIT: Hey cool, looks like they got a new word censor in.

Is there a space between this word and SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT this word?

Thanks for the reply, but it didnt work, Sinkoman. One thing I left out of my original post, It gets past the Valve head thing to where it has that loading screen with the animation, but that only blinks once, then it closes and I get the retry with default settings window. If there are any admins that could move this thread to the hardware forum that would be great, I dont kow if I can or not, Anyone else have any recomendations on how to fix this?

Back