Stuttering/framerates get worse further into the game

tomo13

Reaction score
Is it just me or does the performance of the game drop in the later levels.I have had only a minor problem upto the squad/street fighting level and now it is almost unplayable, even dropping it down to dx8.1 and medium settings.My framerate is now single figures in places.
P4 2.4
9800 pro
764 ddr 2100

tomo13 said:
Is it just me or does the performance of the game drop in the later levels.I have had only a minor problem upto the squad/street fighting level and now it is almost unplayable, even dropping it down to dx8.1 and medium settings.My framerate is now single figures in places.
P4 2.4
9800 pro
764 ddr 2100
Two things come to mind. First, the AI for the friendlies introduces a whole new set of calculations for your CPU to perform. Not to mention the fact that enemies begin to increase in number. I noticed a major slowdown when I hit the "Anticitizen One" levels. A lot of that is simply due to more AI eating up CPU time.

Second... the patch made the sutter somewhat better, but framerates a whole lot worse for a lot of folks. There's some sort of bug with the thing. Try alt-tabbing out to desktop then back to HL2. I do that when framerate gets low, and have seen them triple by doing this.

Also, you can try starting up with the cvar mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware set to "0". This reverts HL2's behavior to prepatch texture management.

That's all one word... mat_forcem...rdware. long words seem to get split up by the forum software. Put it in your autoexec.cfg... If you don't know what I mean, look at this page. Sroll down to the config files section. That site's a good read for anyone trying to get maximum performance from HL2, anyhow. :)

HTH,
Jonathan

Back