Stuttering? use -preload -mat_preloadshaders

Element Alpha

Reaction score
It removed 99% of the stuttering for me. Looks like it forces the game to load more things in memory when it loads a new level.

Start steam. Right-click on "HalfLife 2" in "My Games", click "properties", then "launch options". Copy/paste exactly as shown here:
Code:
-preload -mat_preloadshaders

Test it and post your results here. I can't remember where I found this but I believe it was on an ATI forum.

If this is old news ... sorry ... I used search but didn't find anything.

I also have sv_forcepreload "1" in my autoexec.cfg

If you don't know how to put it there, just ask, I'll tell you.

Sidenote: If you want to be able to access the console with an azerty keyboard, also put bind "F3" "toggleconsole" in the autoexec.cfg, or any other button if you don't like F3.

okay
i looked it up and there doesnt seem the commands
"preload" and "mat_preload"
ill try sv_forcepreload

Cheers for that - I can finally have it playable with shaders on high! woo!
Element Alpha, cud ya run thru how 2 put that command in autoexec plz :)

And can anyone think of a command that cud help me with this. When details are popped up high the NPCs and enemies all have funny pale blocks instead of textures wen viewed from a distance. They're fine close up, but any distance away they look weird. Perhaps a texture draw distance? or summat

Cheers

It's not a command, it's a bloody command line parameter! God, I went through all the effort of outlining the exact steps you should take. Please read the 1st post. You have to add -preload -mat_preloadshaders to the launch options box.

Of course you won't find it listed in the commands, it's not a command. It's a launch option.

Element Alpha said:
I also have sv_forcepreload "1" in my autoexec.cfg

If you don't know how to put it there, just ask, I'll tell you.

I was referring to that

burner69, try downloading the latest drivers for your card. Also be sure you restart the game manually every time you change your videosettings.

for the autoexec.cfg
1)start notepad (you can find it in programs ->accessories)
2)write sv_forcepreload "1"
3)click file -> save as
4)browse to E:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\your_username\half-life 2\hl2\cfg
5)IMPORTANT: next to "save as type", select ALL FILES
6)File name: autoexec.cfg

BAM! You're done.

how come these launch options come with '-' signs where removing the background has a plus ('+') --> +map_background none
Or am i just plain stupid?

I thought this was an audio problem? It happens for me whenever there're new sounds (often coupled with visuals, admittedly) but character's speech is a bit of a giveaway. It happens here all the time, and there're no new shaders to load.

didnt help in the slightest, heres another command to put on the long list of audio stuttering non-fixes

Back