Sunday Mod Round-up 02/05/10

Sliver

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Remember you can submit your mod news to [email protected], or add your mod to our mod listing database here. This week:[br]

Operation Black Mesa actually looks... interesting for once. There's some really nice modelling and concept work being done. Level design still looks off though. They've taken Black Mesa's 'Props make things real!' brief and cluttered up some of the game's most insignificant, functionless areas just for the hell of it.

Steps to making a hit source mod:

1.) Get a good concept artist.
This step should be easy because every Source mod has one.
2.) Get someone to model laptops and pop cans.
This way you can get people interested without actually creating anything useful.
3.) Have someone make half of a level.
Make sure it's detailed; that way people might be fooled into thinking you're actually going to release something.
4.) Stop updating.
This is the most important step to releasing a Source mod. Alternately, this step can be interchanged with mod team drama followed by a break-up.

I like OBM's concept art.

I can't help but think OBM is trying to ride the coattails of BMS, but from the artwork, models, and maps, they're doing good work, so I'm looking forward to it.

Steps to making a hit source mod:

1.) Get a good concept artist.
This step should be easy because every Source mod has one.
2.) Get someone to model laptops and pop cans.
This way you can get people interested without actually creating anything useful.
3.) Have someone make half of a level.
Make sure it's detailed; that way people might be fooled into thinking you're actually going to release something.
4.) Stop updating.
This is the most important step to releasing a Source mod. Alternately, this step can be interchanged with mod team drama followed by a break-up.

So true :LOL:

I wonder how far along they are in... voice acting, animating, overall level design, overall scripting, npc AI, npc sounds, weapon sounds etc etc etc

I mean it looks great but that means shit when it's never ever going to amount to anything.

*edit*

nice flash avatar OP XD

OBM is looking better than I expected. I did a bit of a double-take on the Gina concept art though. WTF is with trying to make the HEV suit sexy? It's a ****ing hazmat suit!

I made something similar for my personal project. I took Gina's PlayStation 2 model as a base, took the chest, and groin from Dreamcast model, and some parts from Half-Life 2 model. Unlike PC/Dreamcast, PS2 version has unisex HEV suits. They look like a tank on a woman.

tl;dr: I think it looks great, and it's similar to what Gearbox/Valve created (official material).

I just looked over the old Gina model from HL1 and I never realised the proportions of it before. It looks bloody ridiculous! The PS2 one is much better.

I should mention for those who are concerned. The firearms:source history page alludes to its release date.

Back