Sunday Mod Round-up 4/04/10

Sliver

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Remember you can submit your mod news to [email protected], or add your mod to our mod listing database here. This week:[br]

This might sound rather spiteful, but I'm finding it harder and harder to care about Source mods anymore.

Anyone else having this problem?

Nothing's really interesting anymore. It's all just vaporware. Anything that was worthwhile has already been finished.

i don't really care for Source mods much because they are mostly not popular so there are hardly any servers and no australian servers

Nothing's really interesting anymore. It's all just vaporware. Anything that was worthwhile has already been finished.
There are definitely still great ideas and gameplay mechanics coming from the mod scene. It isn't as vibrant as in the past, possibly due to how saturated the market is with affordable games these days...but things like Garry's mod prove they still hold their own.

The problem also seems to be that there are a lot of mods these days, and a lot of them don't ever release or hype and let us down. You need to know who is serious and what is worth keeping an eye on.

Visage is beautiful, Firearms is going to be tons of fun for sure & Tension is worth tracking on moddb. Don't quit on them, last year Research & Development released by Matt Bortolino was mindblowing, on par with the quality of Half-life 2 and better than Minerva in my opinion.

Turn your back on mods and you'll miss a trick.

Source modding peaked with Zombie Master.

My take on Source mods as always been that the most ambitious ones are never finished or, somehow, are still under development. Like Black Mesa. I feel like I saw that 20 years ago and it looks about that same...

I think Valve (or someone) should hit these more serious mod developers with a little money and then sell their mods for cheap (like $5) so that they'd actually come out and be high quality.

We need to go back to the good ol' days of the GoldSrc engine where anyone could make a mod (and just about everyone did).

Those were the days...

I have to agree. There's just something about GoldSource mods. Maybe it's to do with Valve funding the better ones.

Back