Super Smash Bros Source

Z

zaccrm

We are attempting to make a Super smash brothers source mod. we were originally going to make the game in first person, but I'm finding that it would make the game to different than the original game-play. The camera needs to be in a fixed angle, like if you were playing a 2d game(but with 3d models of course.) I have seen stuff like that in unreal tournament mods, but can it be done in source?

Also we need a good Mario model for the game, cant find 1.

Have not heard of this being done, but I Don't see why it wouldn't work.

You'll want to name it something else, as well, because Nintendo will rip your balls off before you get anywhere, I'm sure.

One question: Why would you want to make a SSMB mod for Source?

Also we need a good Mario model for the game, cant find 1.

If that's the only way this mod is getting off its feet is you grabbing other people's work and piecing it together then don't even bother.

Sounds like you don't even know what you truly want to do, in all honesty, just quit before you even get started.

You clearly have no experience or competence in Source modding, so I'm going to go ahead and throw this out there: unless you are the Messiah, your mod is doomed to failure already.

You can change the camera angle in Source so that it is in the style of SSB yes. You cannot use the SSB name or characters because Nintendo will rip your balls off and if you ignore them they will sue you. You cannot make this mod because you clearly have no idea what you're doing. Go spend a year or two learning to model or map or code, join another mod team, get some experience, then address your dreams about a 2d Source melee mod. Sorry to be harsh but modding is not remotely easy or simple and it takes a lot of time, skill, and dedication.

You're all missing the most important question...

Why would you want to port such a terrible game in the first place?

You're all missing the most important question...

Why would you want to port such a terrible game in the first place?

Terrible game? Honestly? Terrible? Where do you comefrom? Hell?

Yes, let's have a fight about whether Mario is good or not. Listen to Ennui. He knows where his towel's at when it comes to mods.

well, how will we get any experience if we never attempt to make a mod?

And the only reason i asked for a good Mario was so we could at least use it as a place holder until we make one. Or i get my uncle who is an art director for Net-devil, to make me one. I seriously could not care any less about what most of you had said.

We have decided to only use hl2 characters anyway, using the models that we already have. You cant really bug us on this, it would look like crap if we remade everything.

You clearly have no experience or competence in Source modding, so I'm going to go ahead and throw this out there: unless you are the Messiah, your mod is doomed to failure already.

You can change the camera angle in Source so that it is in the style of SSB yes. You cannot use the SSB name or characters because Nintendo will rip your balls off and if you ignore them they will sue you. You cannot make this mod because you clearly have no idea what you're doing. Go spend a year or two learning to model or map or code, join another mod team, get some experience, then address your dreams about a 2d Source melee mod. Sorry to be harsh but modding is not remotely easy or simple and it takes a lot of time, skill, and dedication.

our main plans are:

1: hl2 characters in a 2d setup(also tf2 and others)
2: i have already made some maps and have a good formula on the setup
the maps are long, but then you are stuck inside of a 2 square thick, hollow box as long as the map.(i'll make a map and post up some screens)
3: alot of health, some much so that no matter how much you hit them, you will never kill them. but the more damage you take, the more pressure you get hit with on contact.
4: i have already programed this, if you fall off the map you get hit with 1,000,000 damage. enough to kill you.

You join existing mod teams. Obviously.

You'll hear the same everywhere you go throughout your VERY short modding 'career'. It would do you well to listen.

I wasnt refering to all of you, All i was saying was people didn't have to keep quoting ennu and telling me i was wrong, again.

Also my main reason for asking these questions wa due to someone else saying the camera was not changable.

One question: Why would you want to make a SSMB mod for Source?

so that you can have a free game with Mario in it that is actually good, unless of course you have to pay in which case this is a valid question

whoever said that has no idea what they're talking about, there are source mods with RTS view, sidescrolling view, and 3rd person in addition to traditional FPS.

If you want to get your feet wet with modding, the best and really only route you can go is to start learning a trade like mapping and join a mod team that you don't lead. The project you're describing is far, far more work than you probably imagine. You have to code all of it - the gameplay, custom moves for every character, attacks, etc. You have to make maps, custom props and textures, and you have to do miles of animation work that would require a very VERY good animator with a lot of free time. Bottom line is that the project you're describing would take at least 2 solid years to develop with a talented, capable team of experienced developers.

whoever said that has no idea what they're talking about, there are source mods with RTS view, sidescrolling view, and 3rd person in addition to traditional FPS.

If you want to get your feet wet with modding, the best and really only route you can go is to start learning a trade like mapping and join a mod team that you don't lead. The project you're describing is far, far more work than you probably imagine. You have to code all of it - the gameplay, custom moves for every character, attacks, etc. You have to make maps, custom props and textures, and you have to do miles of animation work that would require a very VERY good animator with a lot of free time. Bottom line is that the project you're describing would take at least 2 solid years to develop with a talented, capable team of experienced developers.

Well i wasnt even the one who brought up this idea, my clan did. i understand what you are saying but i am not stopping the project. I'm going to get this crap every time i bring this up, so I'm not stopping for anything.

Well i wasnt even the one who brought up this idea, my clan did. i understand what you are saying but i am not stopping the project. I'm going to get this crap every time i bring this up, so I'm not stopping for anything.

It's not a matter of "stopping for anything". You can't avoid inevitable failure.

Have not heard of this being done, but I Don't see why it wouldn't work.

You'll want to name it something else, as well, because Nintendo will rip your balls off before you get anywhere, I'm sure.

Yes. nintendo has NOTHING better to do than sue freely distributed mods running on a platform that they have no market shares in... :LOL:

Yes. nintendo has NOTHING better to do than sue freely distributed mods running on a platform that they have no market shares in... :LOL:

You must not be familiar with the long history of Cease and Desist letters from major companies to mod teams using their intellectual property without permission. If this mod got big (in another reality or something, definitely not here) they would almost definitely end up shutting it down.

its not about people putting you down, its the fact of mere impossibility of inexperienced bunch trying to do something that is near damn impossible for your skill level.

Even for a bunch of VERY skilled, and experienced bunch to create a full on mod on the source engine takes at the very least a year for their initial workable releasable material, with many years ahead to improve it.

it's like Rwanda trying to invade and take over all of Europe

fightfightfightfightfightfightfightfightfightfightfightfightfight

You wanna fight?

You wanna try and stop acting like a three year old? I'm sick of you putting the poor guy down because you think his idea isn't going to work. At least he's trying to put some work in something.

Or i get my uncle who is an art director for Net-devil, to make me one.
Am i the only one who lol'd at this? To the OP theres a mahussive difference between "art director" and "proffessional moddeler" :dozey:.

Yeah, I'd say to ask your uncle if he HAS done any work on the Source engine first, then ask for a confirmation from Nintendo. Even then, you still have a lot of work ahead if you.

And isn't there already Nintendo models on GMod? I've seen them on youtube.

Back