Support Jeff Buckley for UK Xmas No.1

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Most UK'ers here will be familiar with a program on our teles Saturday night called X Factor run by Simon Cowell, for Americans it's American Idol I believe. Anyway, we had our winner picked last week at some point, a girl called Alexandra Burke, and she's a very good singer!

Although, she has released "Hallelujah" as her first single for xmas no.1, and it sucks. Originally Leonard Cohen's song, the best version is undoubtedly the late Jeff Buckley's version (salutes Angry Lawyer), and the internet viral campaign has begun to push him to no.1 and knock this X Factor turd off the top slot!

X Factor is great but it's not about music - it's about entertainment. Hallujah is a brilliant, all time classic song but I know the X Factor version will pail into insignificance compared to the incredibly moving Jeff Buckley version - you need to have had a life to sing this song.

We need to get it the Top 40 so people know there is another 'real' version out there.
I've bought my version, although I already own it because this song has been ruined by the glitz and glam of the X Factor, and I won't let them take an almighty turd on this song.

So go buy this on itunes, he's up to no.2 behind Alexandra. Fight da powa!

itunes
hmv
7digital

Other links:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=66500765224
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article2025078.ece
http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/music/artists/jeff_buckley/article/3557.html
http://www.nme.com/news/jeff-buckley/41533

My ears, my brain, and my self in theory all agree with this campaign.

But I remember watching that final, and watching Alexandria blubber like a baby child, at first laughing and thinking it was ridiculous, then feeling it a little awkward, and finally, despite myself, being touched, touched that someone could be so obnoxiously, overemotionally happy about such a stupid competition. When they walked off the stage and left her to sing 'Hallejulah', with tears streaming down her face, and choking the words at points, there were two things that struck me: mostly, how wonderful it was to see someone reduced to a shivering wreck not by tragedy, or storm or fury, but by joy, even if a spurious, ridiculous joy. But also: how stunningly callous of the TV producers, to make her sing even though she was in no state to do so, because they knew that it would make fantastic television.

I mention this incidentally. But if there's the chance that this campaign could end up making poor little Alexandria feel bad this christmas, I'm not sure I can do that to her.

What a load of tripe. Who honestly gives a shit if some talentless teenage twitter trolls trivial tunes to take the top ten?

Too many t's for me Pesh, you made my brain fry.

I've already got the song and it's in my top five all-time-greatest-songs list. I absolutely love it so I am more than willing to support this campaign. I love Jeff Buckley and hope he rests in peace.

i couldn't care less. jeff buckley's version will be better regardless if it's in the top ten or not

I didn't even know someone from the X Factor was singing the song. I didn't even know X Factor was on TV. I thought Strictly Come Dancing was the big thing this year? That's all my parents watch, anyway.

Regardless, it's the charts. I'm really not that fussed as to what version makes the top spot as I'll never see nor hear it anyway.

(and I have no monies)

Doesn't cowell own the rights to jeff buckleys version anyway, so this campaign just made him shit loads more money.

He is gonna need it, Cohen is broke lol.

I suppose I should have followed this thread up after xmas.

The push for Buckley's version was pretty successful. Alexandra got the top slot, but Buckley was the xmas no.2 in the chart. All these years later...the job was done. Everyone now knows about his version too :)

I read off of someones blog that Sony own both the new version and Buckley's version. Profitting on his aniversary, or somesuch. I have no opinion on the thing one way or another either way, but eh.