Talk me out of buying an Acer Aspire One

Geogaddi

Reaction score
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115489

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspire_One

I need a laptop for school. I need portable web browsing and word processing, with movie watching secondary.

I see no reason to drop between 800 to 2000 bucks to get a machine that is super delicate, a tasty target for thieves, and inferior in every way but portability to a desktop machine.

I hate carrying around laptops, even my girlfriend's 13" Macbook is a pain in the ass to carry around. I don't want to carry a special ****ing bag so that I can surf the internet on the go. I want to toss that ****er in my backpack. A netbook (that's the buzzword for cheap, small laptops) with a Solid State Drive (no dropping the thing and ****ing up your hard drive) fits my needs perfectly.

I don't care about storage space. What would I store other than movies? The Aspire One lets you add an SDHC card that sits flush in the machine and combines with the internal 8GB of storage. 16gig SDHC cards go for ~50 bucks if I ever need more space.

The RAM is not easy to upgrade in the Aspire One like it is in other netbooks, but I'm pretty sure 512 is enough for my needs.

I'm also comfortable with Linux. I see no reason to use XP. If the default distro is too simple I'll install Ubuntu. Linux is smaller, faster, and easier on the 3-cell battery. Speaking of battery, 3 hours is enough for me, and a 6-cell battery is going to be released in August.

The only possible reason I can think of to not buy one of these right now is Dell's upcoming netbook offering. It should have comparable specs and pricing.
Really though, Dell is a bit late to the party and has no major advantages over the Acer other than Dell's good build quality and easily swappable RAM.

I will likely purchase a new machine at a later time that takes care of my needs for a powerful machine.

Can anyone think of any potential downsides to this thing?

The downside is that this is Acer's response to the Asus EEE 900, of which the one I linked gives you a full GB of RAM and 16GB of HD space, double what the Acer has for only $20 more.

The Acer has a nice glossy finish whilst the Asus EEE that my friend has looks cheap and tacky. I would go for the Acer One based purely on looks. :p

Finger prints.

Exactly. Yeah, glossy may look nice, but it's not practical for a device you'll be handling all the time. Besides, you should shop by functionality and quality over anything else, and Asus is renown for both.

The 900 doesn't have an Atom processor and therefore has abysmal battery life.

I'd go for a 901, but it's $650+ iirc.

The 900 doesn't have an Atom processor and therefore has abysmal battery life.

I'd go for a 901, but it's $650+ iirc.

Ah, didn't even consider that. I've never owned a laptop so it's never occurred to me.

Edit: Supposedly the Dell E gets released sometime in August, as you mentioned. It has an Atom, and the cheapest model will be $299. The specs for the models can be found here. Might as well wait until then, so you can really get a feel for all of your options.

Yeah, but I've been waiting for like 6 months and Alabama has a tax free coming up.

I wouldn't encourage even my worst enemy to buy an Acer. I bought it once, and the battery life was the shortest I ever witnessed; I had to recharge the damn thing at every client's house. it was embarrassing; I end up giving it to my wife. Half an hour, that's all it gave.

Its called "Acer Aspire" if I remember it correct.

I have an Acer Aspire 5920G and the battery lasts for 3 hours. :\

Back