team fortress 2 and portals freezing

M

midnightoil

Hi,

My problem is as follows. when I try to launch TF2 or portals I get the picture of the guy with the valve in his head and then it goes to the loading screen with the picture of the medic heavy weapons guy and the spy with loading in the lower right corner. The hard drive whirrs for a bit and then just stops. I can see the hour glass icon for about 10 seconds then it switches to the mouse pointer and all hard drive activity stops. I can't alt tab out, I can't ctrl alt del to kill it unless I run it in windows mode. It just hangs there. I don't have this problem with deathmatch or episode one and two. Just tf2 and portals. With episode one or two the hour glass also disappears but the hard drive just pauses and picks up again and finishes loading the game. Anyone have an idea on what is going on here?

You did get the legal version of the game right?

If so, try verifying the cache files of the games or maybe reinstalling them.

my specs are

intel pentium 4 2.4 ghz
1024 mb ram
geforce 7800 gs 256 mb memory
sb audigy 2
it seems to me like it is looking for a file to continue loading and it isn't there. and yes I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. tried new drivers, tried running in lower Direct x versions nothing seems to work

Yeah, didn't know you could even launch it without steam

Back