Team Fortress 2 Update Released

AciD

Reaction score
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:
[br]
Gameplay changes

• Added a duck timer that prevents duck spamming while running around on-ground
  • In-air, players are only allowed to duck once before they touch ground again
  • Fixed several bounding box issues with jumping, falling, and rocket jump air-walking. Bounding box should be much more accurate there now
  • Increased backstab check so that Spies can side-stab again
  • When disguising, Spies now always start showing the primary weapon in their disguise, and can then switch it with the last-disguise key

TF2 Fixes

• Fixed flamethrower loophole that resulted in the flame effect being stuck on while the flamethrower wasn't really firing
  • Fixed exploit that allowed players to circumvent the force-fire timeout on the pipebomb launcher

• Fixed a bug that caused Natasha's slow on hit effect to be inverted from 75% to 25%</li>

• Restored sawmill_logs.mdl file, fixing some user maps that used it</li>
  • Fixed some localization issues with Scout achievement strings
  • Removed the "Final" phrasing in the map loading screen

Engine fixes

• Fixed a server crash on startup under Linux
  • Fixed a buffer overflow issue related to network string tables
  • Gamestats uploading is now done asynchronously. This fixes the client timeout issues on map changes

CP_Junction

• Fixed an exploit where engineers could build a teleporter exit in an invalid area
  • Fixed a few bad overlay assignments and other minor issues

Hooray! I feel like stabbing people now!

But I also feel like watching the Watchmen... motion comic...

Also, what's with the ducking changes? How was this an issue?

People could bind a script to crouch a whole lot while jumping to make it impossible for snipers to headshot them.
This fixes that but temporarily broke some other classes who DO need to crouch twice in midair (Robin Walker replied to somone on the Steam forums and said they'll fix that soon)

Some good fixes in there, the sidestab being back is good but I didn't realise duck spamming was a problem.

I'd prefer to get the running backstab but what ever.

I have absolutely no idea what this side duck shit is.

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:
[br]
Gameplay changes

• 1)Added a duck timer that prevents duck spamming while running around on-ground
  • 2)In-air, players are only allowed to duck once before they touch ground again
  • 3)Increased backstab check so that Spies can side-stab again
  • 4)When disguising, Spies now always start showing the primary weapon in their disguise, and can then switch it with the last-disguise key

TF2 Fixes

• 5) Fixed exploit that allowed players to circumvent the force-fire timeout on the pipebomb launcher

• 6)Fixed a bug that caused Natasha's slow on hit effect to be inverted from 75% to 25%</li>

Engine fixes

• Fixed a server crash on startup under Linux
  • Fixed a buffer overflow issue related to network string tables
  • Gamestats uploading is now done asynchronously. This fixes the client timeout issues on map changes

CP_Junction

• Fixed an exploit where engineers could build a teleporter exit in an invalid area
  • Fixed a few bad overlay assignments and other minor issues

1) hmmm? was there some sort of exploit with this? honestly you so very rarely see people ducking in this game that I'd think it wouldn't be an issue.

2) if this prevents the jerk-jump-exploit I'm happy...though I only rarely see it in TF2...goddamnit fix it for HL2DM though!

3) odd. I think backstabs was working pretty good with the latest update...at least I haven't seen any face-stabs since then(a couple of budged should-have-been backstabs though)...I bet that has been re-introduced now. gg Valve.

4) lame. it was working just fine as it was...it was much easier for me to select the weapon then disguise and have the proper weapon selected from the beginning...now I have to use extra key stroke to get it the way I want it...Valve catering to the n00bcakes that couldn't figure it out and thought they were brilliant when chasing people with their mellee weapon out.

5) wasn't aware it was an issue but good.

6) gg Valve getting that bug out just as you release the scout update :-P it did seem to me like Natascha was broken again with the scout update. we'll probably see "her" getting more use now.

If this is what I think it is then I'm really pissed off.

if you were using an exploit to circumvent a game-play mechanic....then you have no right to be pissed, Valve made it that way for a reason.

stop being an exploiting retard and play the game properly.

Oh deary me, this is awkward. How do I tell him he's being a twat without him getting annoyed at me, guys?

Oh deary me, this is awkward. How do I tell him he's being a twat without him getting annoyed at me, guys?

Actually, i think he was thinking the same about you... Either way, theres no point being upset if you cant take advantage of an exploit anymore, if that whats got you down...

3) odd. I think backstabs was working pretty good with the latest update
"Sidestabs" needed to come back. Snipers and Engineers could put their backs to the wall and be immune. The resulting failed backstab attempt pretty much meant a melee death from the Sniper and a sentry kill from the Engineer.

...at least I haven't seen any face-stabs since then(a couple of budged should-have-been backstabs though)...I bet that has been re-introduced now. gg Valve.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816912

TF2 Fixes

• Fixed flamethrower loophole that resulted in the flame effect being stuck on while the flamethrower wasn't really firing
  • Maybe not fixed. I had this error playing just an hour ago (after downloading the patch).

Also, I was having errors before where I couldn't change my medigun type while in the spawn room. Before the patch, it would correct itself if I walked into the supply cabinet or respawned, but after this patch, I was completely unable to switch. I'll try again in a bit, but something's up. I don't play many other classes, so I don't know if they're affected?

"Sidestabs" needed to come back. Snipers and Engineers could put their backs to the wall and be immune. The resulting failed backstab attempt pretty much meant a melee death from the Sniper and a sentry kill from the Engineer.

It's still pretty easy to kill a sniper without a backstab if you're alone with him. You can usually have him killed by the time he unzooms.

I still want the running stab :arms:

How is it gone? can someone explain exactly how it was, and how it is now?

It's still pretty easy to kill a sniper without a backstab if you're alone with him. You can usually have him killed by the time he unzooms.

I still want the running stab :arms:

Yes, but it's not as fast and alerts his teammates. Somehow, players seem to rarely notice their teammates' loud death screams and flying ragdolls, but quickly register nearby revolver shots.

Plus, who says he's alone?

Duck-spamming would change your hitbox (what they refer to as the bounding box) from the 'standing' to 'crouching' hitbox very rapidly (by use of a script, as mentioned), which means your head is only in one place for a fraction of a second: very hard for snipers to headshot. It may also have made it harder for some more technical projectile knockback shots like rockets and mid-air stickies.

I think the Facestab has returned because of this update as I shoved the knife right between the eyes of a Soldier and it came up as a backstab. Then again, I always felt that facestabs happen more because of LAG than anything else. Still being an avid Spy player I am happy to have my sidestab back, and of course I don't care about facestabs when I'm the guy doing the stabbin! :D

I think the Facestab has returned because of this update as I shoved the knife right between the eyes of a Soldier and it came up as a backstab. Then again, I always felt that facestabs happen more because of LAG than anything else. Still being an avid Spy player I am happy to have my sidestab back, and of course I don't care about facestabs when I'm the guy doing the stabbin! :D

That kind of facestab would've happened before this update.

It's lag compensation kids. For instance I love when I'm taking still taking gun damage when I'm clearly already around a corner but the server disagrees.

That kind of facestab would've happened before this update.

True though it didn't happen to me at all after the Scout update but litreally within 10 mins of play with the latest one I facestabbed someone, but who's to say it was just because of the servers lag.

Yey for side stab fix. I knew something was wrong from the last update! :)

[*] Fixed flamethrower loophole that resulted in the flame effect being stuck on while the flamethrower wasn't really firing

[*] Fixed exploit that allowed players to circumvent the force-fire timeout on the pipebomb launcher
[*]
Fixed a bug that caused Natasha's slow on hit effect to be inverted from 75% to 25%</li>
[*] Gamestats uploading is now done asynchronously. This fixes the client timeout issues on map changes
[/list]

FRIGGIN' FINALLY

Hooray!

side stabs needs to go again. like I said I didn't see any facestabs during when it was fixed....they are now back.

and the bs about snipers and engies putting their backs to the wall:

1) you could still backstab them you just had to be more precise.

2) if their back is to a wall then you shouldn't be able to backstab them...they should be rewarded for being good and putting their back against the wall, by not being backstabbed.

as a spy either be patient and wait around for them leaving an opening or go find another target, simple really.

and before anyone complain....I regularly play spy but I'd rather:

"not" be able to backstab people with their backs against a wall than I want to be backstabbed by someone when I'm CLEARLY looking straight at the guy.

lesser of two evils IMO.

side stabs needs to go again. like I said I didn't see any facestabs during when it was fixed....they are now back.
There are two types of facestabs, genuine facestabs where both the Spy and his victim agree that it was a facestab. Then there are the "facestabs" where the Spy sees a legitimate backstab but due to lag compensation the victim disagrees, the same effect can be seen when Snipers shoot you "though the wall". Naturally the increased stab angle will result in more of the second type.

and before anyone complain....I regularly play spy but I'd rather:

"not" be able to backstab people with their backs against a wall than I want to be backstabbed by someone when I'm CLEARLY looking straight at the guy.

lesser of two evils IMO.

I can understand lag causing hits "through walls" and apparent facestabs but I don't like sidestabs being any easier. I've been backstabbed with my back to the wall within the past week, before this update. You should be able to prevent it somehow.

Also, there was another update friday which allows you to duck twice while in the air. Servers can turn off the duck restriction as well.

I've been backstabbed with my back to the wall within the past week, before this update. You should be able to prevent it somehow.

First off, I doubt it. During that time, if you were touching a wall, you had to be facing more that 45 degrees in either direction for a backstab to be possible. Maybe you backed into a spy and thought he was the wall.

Secondly, you can prevent it. Just kill the spy. Or not even that -- turn to face him. If you weren't aware of the spy, then he deserved the kill.

Back