Team Fortress 2 Update Reveals a New Mode? (Updated)

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
A new Team Fortress 2 update has been released earlier today and it seems there are some hidden audio files included in this update which reveal a potential new mode coming to the game.[br] In these files you can hear the Announcer referring to the Team Fortress classes seemingly cooperating in order to take down the Announcer in this new game type. You can listen to the new sound files here. [br]

Update: According to Robin Walker this is not a new game mode.

"We've got something coming, but it's not a new game mode," Valve's Robin Walker says. "The key to understanding the new sound files is to figure out who's hearing them in-game, and who isn't."

Change list after the break.

Change list:
  • Fixed custom particle systems inside maps causing particles to break in successive maps
  • Fixed a rare vphysics crash
  • Fixed background highlight for KOTH timers not being aligned properly in minmode
  • Fixed the Heavy's fists being hidden while taunting
  • Fixed cloaked Spies having the critboost effect on their weapon
  • Fixed banned clients being able to spamming a server with the "joined" chat text
  • Fixed seeing the wrong class counts if the game swapped teams while the class menu was open
  • Fixed Spies being able to disguise while performing a taunt
  • Fixed having to press the voice menu key twice if the menu timed out and closed itself last time it was open
  • Fixed the "Confirm Delete" dialog in the Items menu not handling the key correctly
  • Fixed dispenser not healing players at the correct rate if it's upgraded while the players are already touching the dispenser
  • Fixed exec'ing the .cfg file for a class change before the player has actually changed class

Odd. A gamemode/temporary holiday mode that uses the friends list? 'tis weird stuff.

"Friendship ends in 10 seconds"

Might be some kind of end-of-round sudden free-for-all?!

Don't know.

Yeah, it'll probably a temporary Holiday mode ala Halloween.
A betrayal mode of some kind.

Definitely highlights her teacher-y voice. But damn thats a lot.

Looking forward to whatever this becomes...

Friendship ends sounds like you can run around each other freely, but can't shoot or hurt each other until the timer runs out. Different than both being separated by obstacles.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61522

Following reports that the latest update to Team Fortress 2 PC brought with it a variety of new Announcer quips mentioning friends, mercenaries and betrayal, developer Valve tells Shacknews that they are already being used in-game for something "meaningful."

"So far, we haven't seen anyone on the various forums out there who's figured it out," Valve's Robin Walker told us, noting that "user reports of hearing them in-game are also legit" and "there's something about the way they're used in-game that's meaningful."

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Also,
Off. Sandvich said:
I heard the "You have failed me, With your friendships" on gravelpit earlier after our team lost, just thought It might have been a mod or something. Its probably worth noting that one of my steam friends was In the server and on the same team as me

Probably something to do with it.

Well, being used already or not, the sound files have the abbreviation 'dec' before them. Don't know exactly what this is or what it could mean...

It sounds like a distinct game mode? I have a ton of ideas, but they all have gaps.

Maybe those are announcements made if your friend is on the other team and you haven't killed them yet.

Nonon, that can't be it... One of the players in a server was talking about getting those sound files. She was the top of the server, which may help...

I heard the "friendship ends in 30 seconds" yesterday in a server. There was no-one from my friendslist on the server with me though, it just seemed to replace the normal countdown.

EDIT: Just got a "This is your conscience speaking. It's not too late, kill your friends and repent" in the set-up time of a server. I did not check to see if friendly fire was suddenly on or anything, did sound like it was supposed to be in just your head rather than an echoey tannoy system.

EDIT: Just got a "This is your conscience speaking. It's not too late, kill your friends and repent" in the set-up time of a server. I did not check to see if friendly fire was suddenly on or anything, did sound like it was supposed to be in just your head rather than an echoey tannoy system.

Spooky, maybe the Announcer has placed brodcast chips in our brains or something?

Back