temp problem?

ktimekiller

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Ok, my pc used to run at a good speed, but now, it ran at 60+ degrees idle, and ran at 85 degrees while running programs.

I cleaned it out completely, and reapplied thermal compound, now my idle temp is 55, and my running temp is 70+

WTF? why is my pc so damned hot

Btw, is any way a power supply can possibily effect the heat of the cpu? like too much power, not enough power, or no connected right or something?

make sure your heatsink is making contact with the processor. Also temperature and speed are totally different.

the problem definately isnt contact, because its never been moved for over 6 years, but recently, i did move it to apply thermal compound, it did cool it, but hardly. Is it possible my PC is just too damned old and worn down?

And yea, I did the procedure correctly, except the spread might not have been so even, and attaching the heatsink was a bit of a problem, and it could of kinda messed with the new spread of thermal shit. But I dont think thats the problem, Im starting to think my pc is just too damned old now, and after years of constant and very hard uses, and after many formats and whatnot, I think its just worn down.

well after 6 years im sure the thermal paste would be gone and when putting paste on a cpu its best if you put paste the size of grain of rice. Then once the heatsink is put on there, it will spread it out; if the layer is to thick then it wont transfer heat correctlly. so i recommend reseating and repasting your cpu.

Wait, you dont prespread the compound? because when i read a guide, they prespred it, and when i attempted to spread it with only a gain of rice amount of compound, more than half of the cpu was exposed.

I reapplied it, cleaned all of it off, and did a thinner layer, but my temp has not changed one bit -_-

I seriously dont think its that, i think my pc is just to dammned old.

only small chips need a thin layer like some video card chips and the athalon xp cpu's. for larger cpu's though its best to do the grain of rice. you dont need paste over the whole cpu its a waste. the paste should transfer heat plenty.

No actually the base of the heatsink will do it for you (Spread out the thermal), some like to use razor-blade like tools to spread thermal, but what you don’t want to do is to spread it too far close to the edges of the back of the processor, so when you seat heatsink, thermal will ooze out of the sides on to the socket, that may ruin you CPU.
What I like to do is like what Giant told you, put little bit of tinny Thermal and let the base of the heatsink spread it out for me. It works all the time. Too much paste and heat will not escape and reach heatsink.
B4 you do that get a nice and soft (Non Static) cloth or tissue and wipe the old paste off, nice and smooth like you would do to a lovely ladies.
Good Luck.

What’s up fellas? Long time huh? Glad to see ya all alive. ;)

well, i have applied it again, with no temp change, but gradually overtime, my pc is starting to climb the temp again, and its nearly back as it used to be, and games are unplayable once more, wtf?

Check CPU voltage, see if its overvolting, one would assume PWMIC chip wouldn't allow it, but mobo may be going "Koo-Koo"

Good luck.

any suggestion on how i would check? and how i know if it is going over my needed amount? and last, how do i change it?

EDIT: I am looking at a program called everest, and it tells me

Core Voltage 1.475 - 1.55 V
I/O Voltage 1.475 - 1.55 V

Im guessing its not overvolting?

im actually trying to clean my fan, but after ruining my previous computer, im very hesitant to even remove the heatsink....and i can SEE a ton of dust in it....im a wimp

Get a hero-friend and have him dust it for you, then charge him if he messes up. I think I read you say that your thermal is about 6 years old? if I'm right then its time to reapply thermal.

Good Luck.

I might have found a solution~!

I have been moving my fan around to find that "sweet spot" and I believe I found it, but i need more testing, will see if it gets better

EDIT: Ok, this is weird, I move the fan to one side of the heatsink, same result, no change, i move it to the other side, bam my temp is down by average of 10ish wtf?

Back