Texture Artist In Need Of Work

B

BloodDrone

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could possibly use a texture artist to help work on their modification? I have about two years of experience in Adobe PhotoShop CS, though I'll be honest, I have had only but two weeks of working with textures. I understand I am not that experienced, but I can create high quality textures. Here are two examples of my previous work. (I can create new work if needed / asked of.)

Plaster

Plaster_1.jpg

Dirt

Dirt_1.jpg

If you are interested in using me, please contact me via e-mail at [email protected]; Please only serious inquiries need respond. Thanks for your time! Also, If you disbelieve in the fact I created those textures -- though they're not the best, stop by www.LastGreatWar.com. I'm a rather active member there, and have talked to the developers / created some work for them.

BloodDrone (David)

Also, to prove I am even more truthful, post a photograph / unedited texture, and I'll make it seamless, add detail to it, and so on.

Kebean PFC said:
The Last Crusade could use you, email me at [email protected] As of now we dont have a website but that is coming shortly.

Do you honestly think he is going to email you? he must have 20 emails based on his talent, and you're too lazy to email him?

if you think that's how modding works, you're in for a surprise

i've sent an email to you BloodDrone, hope you got it.

dassbaba said:
Do you honestly think he is going to email you? he must have 20 emails based on his talent, and you're too lazy to email him?

if you think that's how modding works, you're in for a surprise
Talent? stock images rotated/mirrored and faded. A photoshop action could do that. You'll notice it when its in game and repeating horribly.

-

Sorry @ OP but those two examples aren't the best you could show.

The Dark Elf said:
Talent? stock images rotated/mirrored and faded. A photoshop action could do that. You'll notice it when its in game and repeating horribly.

-

Sorry @ OP but those two examples aren't the best you could show.

I'm afraid he's correct, if those are stock images. If you have hand-made/photographed them, then it's pretty good, but still, as Dark Elf stated, the repetitions will be very noticable.

Texturing brushes is much different than texturing unwraps.

Let me bring emphasis to the statement "I have about two years of experience in Adobe PhotoShop CS, though I'll be honest, I have had only but two weeks of working with textures." And as the name implies, they are examples. Yes, they would appear to be repetitive in-game, but I won't use normal 512x512 documents for my textures, I plan on using 1024x1024 and creating duplicates of the images, editing both thoroughly, while maintaining the same feel, but producing the same seamless effect. On a side note, did I honestly ask for criticism / comments regarding my work? I understand if I were to start up a modification, but such comments regarding my talents aren't needed at the time. I'm offering, not wanting.

And for your information, those are Photographs taken by myself, brushed, cloned, filtered, contrasted, leveled, colored, cropped, smudged, set to offset, and just all-around highly edited. Those two examples do not display my true talent, as I will progress significantly in the future. Please try not to infer so quickly. And to my information, isn't it the mappers duty to make sure the repetition of the texture isn't too much? Correct me if I am wrong. (Though I understand I'd have to provide him with the correct supplies.)

Thanks,
David

(No sarcasticness intended on this comment.)

Maybe this sounds more interesting:

With only just a couple of weeks of experience in making textures, I could offer you a position in our team as 2d artist where you could learn and gain experience making textures. So instead of showing off (which is good, and I think those textures aren't bad at all) you could help our mod and at the same time gain experience.

Anyway this is our moddb profile: http://mods.moddb.com/1945/
We don't have a site up yet.

Quote: "and you're too lazy to email him?"

It's obvious the guy checks out this thread and takes time to reply, so what's the difference.

BloodDrone said:
Those two examples do not display my true talent,

Then why didn't you use something that did?

It would be like me showing a stick figure drawing instead of a painting. Your looking for a position on a mod team, so naturally it makes sense to show your best work.

True, and I agree with you there, and I have explanation as to why I posted that work.

BloodDrone said:
And to my information, isn't it the mappers duty to make sure the repetition of the texture isn't too much? Correct me if I am wrong. (Though I understand I'd have to provide him with the correct supplies.)

Thanks,
David

(No sarcasticness intended on this comment.)

the mapper should probably be making their own textures rather than rely on someone else..

Shinobi said:
the mapper should probably be making their own textures rather than rely on someone else..
No thanks. Do you have any idea how long map-making is. Do you have any idea of how much longer it would take if they had to think about the texture design as well as the brushwork (and the gameplay which is more-or-less implicit in this).

Well drop by Citadel Utopia (link's in the sig) and keep us in mind if you want some work in a few months time. I haven't emailed you because I honestly don't have anything for you to do right now and it will take some time for the concept artist to supply you with something to work on...

If you decide you're interested send me an email (as long or as short as you like) and I'll get back to you closer to when you could expect work. Thanks for your time.

-Crispy- said:
No thanks. Do you have any idea how long map-making is. Do you have any idea of how much longer it would take if they had to think about the texture design as well as the brushwork (and the gameplay which is more-or-less implicit in this).

Considering Shinobi is one hell of a mapper I'd say he knows what he's talking about yes.

If he's "one hell of a mapper" then he might understand that not every member of a Mod team is "one hell of a mapper" and he also might appreciate why those who don't make up the "one hell of a mapper" contingent might prefer to have someone else make their textures for them, just to take the load off a bit.

I don't make my own textures either :)

-Crispy- said:
If he's "one hell of a mapper" then he might understand that not every member of a Mod team is "one hell of a mapper" and he also might appreciate why those who don't make up the "one hell of a mapper" contingent might prefer to have someone else make their textures for them, just to take the load off a bit.
But if the mapper has no clue how to make textures, its not going to help them. A mapper doesn't have to be an amazing texture artist but if he/she doesn't understand how to do it and can't jump in when required. It makes him less useful.

eg: texture artist does all his stuff, then someone decides things need changing, its quicker for the mapper to make those changes than wait for the texture artist to get back to him on it.

The Dark Elf said:
But if the mapper has no clue how to make textures, its not going to help them. A mapper doesn't have to be an amazing texture artist but if he/she doesn't understand how to do it and can't jump in when required. It makes him less useful.

eg: texture artist does all his stuff, then someone decides things need changing, its quicker for the mapper to make those changes than wait for the texture artist to get back to him on it.
I have been mapping for six years, if anything is involved with a map i make i will have to make it, if its static models, textures or sounds it dosn't matter.......whenever anyone else makes stuff it always appears crap compared to anything else and i find myself saying "yeah, well done there mate....that makes all the difference" , being nice so i dont offend them.

We're talking about Mods here. Not general one-off maps. Depending on how you go about making your Mod you're probably going to have a concept artist work with the concept creator to help create your unique style in terms of architecture, textures, player/weapon models and player skins (costume design if you will).

For Citadel Utopia I will be taking a texture artist through the concept art and also the general architectural style (including interiors) so that he has a long list of textures to work on. We'll prioritise the exterior textures first so that the mappers will be able to start the exterior brushwork, moving inside.

Yes, it would be fantastic to have a mapper who makes his own textures to be working on this Mod (I'm sure a lot of other Mod leaders would agree), but they are few and far between - golden needles in the already glistening haystack that is the HL Mapping community. I'll be encouraging my mappers to learn the basics of texture editing in order to add those final touches, redo texture sets in -for example, a grey metallic style- and simply resize them; but if I put all my efforts into finding a mapper who can do both to an excellent standard I'll be waiting a long time (I'll also may have to compete with the industry talent scouts at the same time).

For Citadel Utopia and many other Mods out there, the most workable option is to have a separate texture artist(s) and mappers.

But if the mapper has no clue how to make textures, its not going to help them.
I'm sorry but this is just proposterous. Look at all the fine maps that were made for NS that didn't use custom textures. There are some that do (ns_source by Lt. Gravity is a fine example of a mapper working to a high standard on almost every feature of his map) but the vast majority will use a standard texture set or mish-mash their own custom texture set from other Mods. Many TFC maps use the custom texture set while adding in a few custom textures that (I'll hazard a guess at this one) probably weren't made by the mapper himself. In my book re-hashing already existing textures into a new WAD is implicit in the work of a mapper and doesn't include any texture design, this is left up to the texture artist.

-Crispy- said:
I'm sorry but this is just proposterous. Look at all the fine maps that were made for NS that didn't use custom textures. There are some that do (ns_source by Lt. Gravity is a fine example of a mapper working to a high standard on almost every feature of his map) but the vast majority will use a standard texture set or mish-mash their own custom texture set from other Mods. Many TFC maps use the custom texture set while adding in a few custom textures that (I'll hazard a guess at this one) probably weren't made by the mapper himself. In my book re-hashing already existing textures into a new WAD is implicit in the work of a mapper and doesn't include any texture design, this is left up to the texture artist.

Well if you think its ok to just throw any old texture in there and hope for the best then I wish you well. I'd rather stick to specially made ones.

When did I say that, exactly. Did you happen to read this part of the post, perchance?
We're talking about Mods here. Not general one-off maps. Depending on how you go about making your Mod you're probably going to have a concept artist work with the concept creator to help create your unique style in terms of architecture, textures, player/weapon models and player skins (costume design if you will).

For Citadel Utopia I will be taking a texture artist through the concept art and also the general architectural style (including interiors) so that he has a long list of textures to work on. We'll prioritise the exterior textures first so that the mappers will be able to start the exterior brushwork, moving inside.

I agree. On a mod you have to get a texture artist. (My mod need one!)

But mapper has to learn the basic so they don't have to wait on the texturer to do some small fix...

Let's recap...beginning with what I said:

Me said:
those who don't make up the "one hell of a mapper" contingent might prefer to have someone else make their textures for them, just to take the load off a bit.
You said:
Me said:
I'm sorry but this is just proposterous. [...]
You said:
Well if you think its ok to just throw any old texture in there and hope for the best then I wish you well. I'd rather stick to specially made ones.
Me said:
When did I say that, exactly. Did you happen to read this part of the post, perchance?

We're talking about Mods here. Not general one-off maps. [...]you're probably going to have a concept artist work with the concept creator to help create your unique style in terms of architecture, textures [...]For Citadel Utopia I will be taking a texture artist through the concept art [...] so that he has a long list of textures to work on.
Finally you say this!!???
You said:
You said it above, right there.

Shinobi said:

Yeah map-making can be hard and toturous (sp?) enough without having to do all custom textures...if its for a dm map then yeah, fair enough, do your own but for a mod...thats a hell of a lot of work to pile on top...

If everyone restricts themselves to just one specialty (especially in the unpaid hobiest mod world) you'll spend more time waiting for someone to finish something for you than doing actual work

-Crispy- said:
Let's recap...beginning with what I said:

Finally you say this!!???
and? You just kinda like, trailed off there and forgot what you were even harping on about, ending with effectively proving my point by then going on about concept artists. Before finally missing the point entirely to what I'd even said in the first place.

You honestly seem to believe though that a mapper has no business knowing or doing any texturing work.

TDE said:

Crispy said:
I'm sorry but this is just proposterous. [...]

Next you'll be telling me coders don't need to understand the basics of Art or sound and that artists don't need to understand the basics of light and shadow, and that sound guys don't need to understand the basics of scene design and location.

... well, I beleive that it is definately an advantage to have a mapper that can make textures, and it makes them a better mapper if they can, but at the same time I don't find it neccesary for mappers to be texture artists, only to know how textures work and are created. It's just a big, helpful advantage, not a requirement...

I don't understand what you guys are arguing about? You seem to be saying the same thing...

Anyway, I thought that the textures were done pretty well but would definately get repetative.

/me runs away

Even though i know how to convert the texture, we need a texture artist. Please help!

Well anyone who can read will understand what I was talking about. I think Erestheux summed it up quite well so I see no point in further derailing this thread.

To get back on topic: Did you make a decision on which Mod you're working with, or are you still considering other openings?

-Crispy- said:
Well anyone who can read will understand what I was talking about. I think Erestheux summed it up quite well so I see no point in further derailing this thread.

To get back on topic: Did you make a decision on which Mod you're working with, or are you still considering other openings?
Apology accepted, and I'll pretend I didn't see the little insult there for the sake of the thread.

Ahh, I love clearing things up. ;)

Now kiss and make up!

*gets videocamera* :angel:

Back