the Brilliant Underappreciated Musician thread

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Iggy Pop ..without Iggy there is no punk
Chuck Berry ...without Chuck there is no rocknroll
Tom Waits - arthouse blues/jazz/spoken word/beat poetry, brilliant songwriting, eclectic iconic voice
Fishbone - ska/surfer rock gods, excellent musicians and songwriters

tons of other smaller bands with less influence like Afghan Wigs, Screaming Trees, The Pogues, the Jam, the Pixies, the Selector, the Specials, Nice Cave and the Bad Seeds, leonard Cohen, Julian Cope, the Sundays, Ben Folds Five, Joy Division/New Order etc etc etc

stick with the underappreciated bands that had the most impact

there is going to be some serious disagreement on my choices-

Cure
voltaire
modest mouse
the smiths
david bowie (a lot of people seem to not know him...)
portishead
aphex twin

The Jimi Hendrix Experiance. No questions asked.

Does underappreciated mean not many people have heard of them, or that if he is known, people don't know of his true musical talent?

Maybe nobody can understand Nickelback's true musical talent?

:p

The Jimi Hendrix Experiance. No questions asked.

underappreciated? hendrix is seen as the best guitarist who ever lived ...he couldnt be more appreciated

underappreciated can be anything from obscure but good to unknown to the general masses but a fave of musicians/critics ...like Nick Drake ..most of you may remember this ...Nick Drake was never a commercial success but was very influential to artists even today

another example: green day probably made more money with their dookie release than Iggy pop made during his entire career but while green day are generic pop-punk who will be eventually forgotten, Iggy Pop, known as the godfather of punk, continues to influence whole generations of musicians ..without Iggy there is no punk ..without green day ..well there's no green day

zombieturtle01 said:
david bowie (a lot of people seem to not know him...)

who are these people and why havent they been publically flogged yet? David Bowie may not be selling as much as in his heyday but he's very well respected and a huge influence on music in general as well as art fashion and pop culture ..i'd put him on my list if he werent so popular

David Bowie has sold over 130 million albums, more then the stones... more then Madonna, the last thing i would call him is underappreciated. Actually Stern, Bowie is always outselling himself. In the 80's he sold more then he did in the 70's and in the 90's he sold more then he did in the 80's. I'm guessing this decade is no different( hell i bought 6 of his albums in 06 alone;))

Modest Mouse- Yes, they are getting quite big, but i think the majority of their fan base are unfamiliar with their best works( Moon and Antarctica, Lonesome Crowded West) and thats a damn shame. Brock's lyrics are without a doubt the best that I've ever heard.

Sonic Youth- Yea, they've been around for 20 years, but like MM i think a lot of people are unfamiliar with their best work( EVOL, Sister and The Mammoth Daydream Nation) Three albums that are so good( yet so underappreciated) they makes everything else they've done seem irrelevant.

RadioHead- Just because I've never been able comprehend why someone would rather listen to Coldplay...urg.

Speaking of Iggy Pop and Tom Waits Stern......
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=K6Mw6b1T50U[/YOUTUBE]

who are these people and why havent they been publically flogged yet? David Bowie may not be selling as much as in his heyday but he's very well respected and a huge influence on music in general as well as art fashion and pop culture ..i'd put him on my list if he werent so popular

I am speaking on behalf of my experiences with other people. I know many, many, many people of this generation who have said "never heard of him"

woops ignore my post, i just skimmed the title :S

and Radiohead aren't unappreciative at all, they are incredibly popular in fact, they just haven't been seen for a while, probably making a new album.

I was refering to the fact that they should be this generations pink floyd,Yea their big...but they should be bigger.....

Speaking of Iggy Pop and Tom Waits Stern......
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=K6Mw6b1T50U[/YOUTUBE]

still havent seen that movie ...Waits is a personal friend of Jarmusch and appeared in the underrated but great Down by law ..will have to watch later as I'm at work ..thanks for the lin, had forgotten about that movie

I'd say The Offspring is probably the least well-known and most underappreciated band in their rather limited genre of pop-punk. True, they've had some pretty big mainstream success, but people are generally only acquainted with their singles (which, dare I say it, are rather mediocre). True, they've not really done anything really revolutionary, but that's not the point in this case. A lot of their older stuff is pretty cool, stuff you don't hear on the radio. Maybe it's just me, because I can identify with some of their lyrics very well. They're actually pretty cool as people too. They're not jaded or cocky and they haven't let success gone to their heads. They're all pretty meek and humble, for being rock stars.

As for Nickelback's musical talent... there is hardly any at all.

Nice Cave and the Bad Seeds
Haha, I lol'd :p

I'm gonna risk a flogging and say the Beatles. Obviously on a larger scale they're anything but underappreciated, but to today's generation of music listeners there seems to be a stigma about them that they're just a pop band. Which wouldn't be unwarranted considering how popular they are, but very few people seem to appreciate the musical genius that lies beneath that. And it's not like you have to dig that hard to find it, unless you're still stuck on Yellow Submarine...

Try Harder, Bad hat;)

I rarely see a best of list that includes the 60's without Revolver/Pepper right at the top. They've sold literally billions of albums and created the bass, drums, guitar trio that every band now emulates. I can't see how you could consider them underappreciated. A band that big is always going to have it's detractors.

Jeff Beck
Eric Johnson

Great musicians and guitarists, but only the guitar-playing community seems to have heard of them.

Mother Love Bone. Would've been extremely famous had the lead singer not died from an overdose before they could advertise their 1st album.

Try Harder, Bad hat;)

I rarely see a best of list that includes the 60's without Revolver/Pepper right at the top. They've sold literally billions of albums and created the bass, drums, guitar trio that every band now emulates. I can't see how you could consider them underappreciated. A band that big is always going to have it's detractors.
Eh, well that was among people I know. I gotta go with what I know. Flogging accepted though :p

Edit - Oh, on Stardog's note, Snot! Awesome first album, then the singer got mashed up in a three-way car crash. Hardcore.

Jeff Beck
Eric Johnson

Great musicians and guitarists, but only the guitar-playing community seems to have heard of them.

Aye, truely amazing guitarists. Jeff Beck can literally make his guitar whistle and sing, its fantastic.

Try Harder, Bad hat;)

you people don't seem to understand, that just because a band is well known, does not mean they are not-underappreciated.

Many people of this generation to not give the respect the Beatles diserve

ya but most people of this generation are stupid ...so not a big deal

I don't quite know what under-appreciated here means. For instance, I certainly wish some of my favorite artists had more public recognition, but it's not like they don't do well critically within their own musical spheres.

you people don't seem to understand, that just because a band is well known, does not mean they are not-underappreciated.

we're not talking about some mid level flavour of the month here...we're talking about the most iconic ( and most appreciated) band in the history of music...billions of records sold(who else can say that?), higly influential, toping every best of list etc etc. how much more respect do these guys deserve? They've pretty much set an unattainable benchmark for every band to aspire to in terms of commercial success and critical acclaim. IMO if you pick the beatles in this thread...you really aren't trying very hard.

Also Stern, I think the other members of Iggy's band The Stooges deserve just as much respect as Iggy himself...without the Stooges there would be no punk imo.

ya but Iggy had a solo career to rival the stooges ..the stooges did not ..in fact i dont think any of them had much of a career following the stooges break up

The only note worthy solo albums he's had are Lust for life and the Idiot imo. And i think you can attribute those just as much to bowie as you can iggy.

true ..still Iggy is the face of the stooges, he's known for his stage act (although forgotten today)as much as for his music

ya but most people of this generation are stupid ...so not a big deal
Both true :p

Yeah, I take back my original post. Let's just say my friends have no taste and leave it at that ^.^

Elijah Wood will star as young Iggy Pop.

Trivia - Wood needed to lose weight and learn to play the drums for the role.
Lol. Yay for a chubby little hobbit Iggy Pop.

I'd say, The Snake The Cross The Crown, The Sounds of Animals Fighting, Mars Volta (De-Loused in the Comatorium is fu cking genious), Hopesfall, and damn the list is pretty endless. theres so many underappreciated musicians out there just doing there own thing.

Edit: How could I forget Glassjaw???? damn me

More people would rather care about Head Automatica. :(

So damn true. head automatica us alright I guess, i havent heard any new stuff, just the tokyo decadence cd. glass jaw is so much better. I hear their making a new cd finally.

Back