The flagship HL2 Expansion Poll

Who would you rather play as in the first official Half-life 2 Expansion?

• Adrian Shephard

Votes: 56 33.9%
  • Alyx Vance

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • Barney Calhoun

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • Father Grigori

Votes: 16 9.7%
  • Rogue CP

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Vortigaunt

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Unnamed Rebel/Civilian

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Unnamed Soldier

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters

$kelet0r

Tank
Reaction score
Who would you rather play as in the first official Half-life 2 expansion?
(G-man, snarks, headcrabs, Cubbage, Combine soldier, Breen are not options unfortunately)

Shephard. I loved Op Force even more that HL1. But I'm afraid that we will see no more of Adrian. ;(

Barney.

But I'd much prefer something Combine-related like a Metro Cop, or something. Either's good for me.

A resistance mechanic / engineer / hacker that uses the electro tool that Alyx uses. With hackiing puzzels and deployable hoppers,turrets and manhacks.

Barney and Adrian for sure...

But I have to go with Grigori. Might be rather fun to play a mad monk :D

It would be awesome playing as alyx, which seems to be what they've planned. I believe they can pull it off... however i chose unnamed citizen.

There's so much room for stories in this game, before the combine, before gordon arrives... his week absence...

And the mightiest - the 7 hour war. That is simply the coolest plot idea ever.

EVER.

how tight of a mod would it be if you could be a heard crab and take over different people

Combine soldier would rock. Everything else would be boring...

Being a soldier, you get to see such awesome stuff that you have never seen before. And it would be awesome. You could like respond to calls in the beginning of the game, like before Gordon started the uprising. Like "We gotta situation down in the F district, 3 unruly male citizens, requesting backup"

Then you are called in to stop Gordon or w/e. Do it Valve!

Shephard? How? There was no military involvement in HL2 ... unlike HL1, which actually had military involvement (which is where shephard came in).

I'd say the best looking epansion would have to be from Barneys viewpoint, being behind enemy lines and all ... being a combine is just a fruitless story, because unless you actually kill gordon, you dont have any objectives.

Aidrian or random soldier. It worked for Op4, and it would certainly work here.

Alyx Vance, baby!

I think it should go by the retail box art. First Gordon Freeman. Second Alyx Vance. Then finally G-Man.

I picked Shepard, as it would be nice to see that he wasn't just discarded, but used as part of a plan that is more intricate than tossing Gordan into the picture.

I think it would be particularly neat if Adrian was used by Gman to contribute to the uprising as Gordan disappears in teleportation for a week.

I also think it would be neat to play a common rebel, see more of the comraderie and "underground" as one of the many fighters, rather than the one and only Gordan. That would be nice contrast.

Or perhaps one of the commanders could be shepard, that you only hear references of.

I've said enough, i digress.

The problem with a Combine soldier is that they are trans-human with no free will, unlike shepard

Barney. Definetly.

Make it a prequel before Freeman arrives and half way through show the segments with Freeman and while Gordon goes off on the adventure we have all played you get to play as Barney through the game.

Shepard could work easily. Before and during the 7 hour war there was plenty of Military action, especially from the US. Why not tie in Shepard to the G-man and the events leading up to the 7 hour war, and eventually setting the stage for Freeman. It would be awsome, small battles with the reconoitering Combine forces and then the finial huge war.

i wish that you could be a marine left in Xen.

Alyx 4 ever.. or a combine dude or something..

HL2: Expansion set - The 7 hour war

It would be cool...

[ :burp: Weee now i'm a Bullsquid ]

I voted Alyx as thats bound to be the next flagship expansion, she is a main character now, and she has cool weaponry.

Barney would be ok, maybe him battling the combine as a resistance fighter, then finding the suit giving us the Hud display, to play out the rest of the game taking down combine as stealthily as possible :)

If anyone remembers the extra in hl for the ps1, then you could play through as a vautigaunt then. :p

What I don't want is an expansion where you play as Alyx in the 7-hour war. Either one or the other.
They simply don't fit together.

If it was Alyx during the 7 hour war she would be 10 or something

this poll has been done many times and each and every time Adrian Shepherd has been the winner of the poll and while some pple may think thats wrong..well the public has spoken :p

those who don't want to see Shepherd mainly don't want to see him because he has no personality...which is fair to say, but if Valve were to bring him back, i am sure Valve would only add to who we know as Adrian Shepherd.

Dr. Freeman said:
this poll has been done many times and each and every time Adrian Shepherd has been the winner of the poll and while some pple may think thats wrong..well the public has spoken :p
Thankfully though, what the public says never figures much in what actually happens, largerly because the public are a bunch of flaming motards :)

As for me, I couldn't honestly care less who we play. It's a first person game and the character doesn't really matter, though it does effect the story and setting a bit. If forced to an order of preference: 1) Alyx Vance (Pre-HL2), 2) Barney Calhoun (HL2's missing week), 3) Rogue CP (or other Combine - the real Opposing Force 2), 4) Adrian Shephard (GMan brings him back Freeman style).

As for the other ideas: Father Grigori, Vortigaunt are just plain silly, and Unnamed Rebel/Civilian just plain dull (their role is essentially the same as Alyx and Barney, so whats the point?)

Barney during the uprising while Gordon and Alyx are being teleported.

Samon said:
How on earth can Adrian be winning. Impossible.

Because, like Gordon, he falls in line with the whole "You are the character" design philosophy. It would be strange to have a character with dialogue suddenly turn into a mute. Would Alyx suddenly stop responding to Eli?

In the case of Combine/Resistance soldiers, I don't care. However, you've already played as Adrian and you were left off with a cliff hanger. I'd personally like to see that story continue. So do many others.

(There's a chance that your post was sarcasm. If that's the case, then I now look like a fool)

Absinthe said:
Because, like Gordon, he falls in line with the whole "You are the character" design philosophy. It would be strange to have a character with dialogue suddenly turn into a mute. Would Alyx suddenly stop responding to Eli?

In the case of Combine/Resistance soldiers, I don't care. However, you've already played as Adrian and you were left off with a cliff hanger. I'd personally like to see that story continue. So do many others.

(There's a chance that your post was sarcasm. If that's the case, then I now look like a fool)

It was sarcasm, because i know that alot of people love Adrian Shepard, but how can they say he is cooler than Gordon, niether of them have a personality.

But then how can i say i hate him, when its me who makes him the character when i play.

Now your a fool. :|

:p

i said a vort, cause if we had him, we'd get some kickass lightning strike weapon thing

Damn, the last thing i want to see is a lame 7 hour war expansion. Seriously, that would blow.

Shephard working under-cover for the Combine, and beeing friends with Barney while meeting Gordon. He would be just like Barney, but just Shephard. :thumbs:

Back