the fun thought with banned accounts.

K

karmiska

As we all know valve has banned quite a few accounts for what ever reasons.
And propably some or many users felt quite a sting when their BOUGHT version stopped working.
Luckily i'm not one of them, but i thought i'd share this bit of information on the subject.

You see, i heard certain resellers of hl2 got complaints from customers that didn't get their hl2 registered.
This problem was common when hl2 was published. I'm guessing because of so many simultaneous users were trying to register at the same time.

Well these certain resellers had a curious way of resolving the problem. They actually either went to the customer and installed a "no-cd" crack or told by the phone how to do it.
"just do this and you'll be playing in no time".

You can guess the rest.
Cracked half-life installation.. result would be a locked account. And tears from someone who just lost 60 bucks ;)

(don't get me wrong. i love valves attitude with this stuff "piss off bad hacker". But makes me a bit scared that for some reason my well earned hl2 would suddenly turn in to a 60$ paperweight..)

I doubt that very much to be true as the company is under no obligation to take back a product that doesn't work on a machine. Its not a problem with the disk so its not there problem. Why would they then bother to install no cd cracks. And also a CD is no longer required, besides they still need to register with steam to work, so how a no CD crack helps them do that....

karmiska said:
Well these certain resellers had a curious way of resolving the problem. They actually either went to the customer and installed a "no-cd" crack or told by the phone how to do it.
"just do this and you'll be playing in no time".

You can guess the rest.
Cracked half-life installation.. result would be a locked account. And tears from someone who just lost 60 bucks ;)

HL2 needs no CD once registered on your account, f00 =P

to be clear

no-cd crack might be a bad description indeed.
but you can crack hl2 so it works without steam..
so i guess it's a "steam crack" then.
(and yes.. they did bother)

If it works without Steam then it won't matter that the account has been banned.

Well if people were smart enough they would know not to use a NO-CD crack on their game when they know valve has already been banning accounts for doing illegal stuff with them.

Someone with some knowledge on the subject should probably clarify this, but Im almost certian providing workarounds and hacks as a means of customer service violates the stores own CS policy, thier contract with thier vendors, trade union regulations and probably a few federal laws. Usualy CS reps are trained at least to a small extent, to follow very strict procedures, and arent even allowed to answer specific questions. Not to mention that the stores are under no legal obligation to get a game running for a customer.

No offense but I dont trust anyone who registers an account to make such claims...seems to me you have some agenda. Im just not sure what company your trying to bash, what website you want me to join, or what you are "raising awareness" for, but Im sure we'll find out soon.

subtlesnake said:
If it works without Steam then it won't matter that the account has been banned.
Until you want to play online properly or update it in any way.

Parasite said:
No offense but I dont trust anyone who registers an account to make such claims...seems to me you have some agenda. Im just not sure what company your trying to bash, what website you want me to join, or what you are "raising awareness" for, but Im sure we'll find out soon.

haha.
nono, i hold no crudge to anyone :)
like i said, i'm not the one with troubles.
just told what i heard.
sure might be wrong info anyways.

still. the last part was valid. i _am_ little scared of loosing 60$ because of something stupid (let it be stealing accounts/clever viruses or whatever). that's the first time so far with computer games.

usually it's: i buy, i own, i can resell.
now it's: i give money, i can use, can't sell.

things go downward if you ask me.
(how would you sell half-life 2 after your played enough ? sell your steam account with other games too as a pack ? maybe put some useless cd:s on top of it)

*edit* ou btw.. maybe this topic would better fit to "rumours and speculations" section ? *edit*

Don't buy online accounts, a friend of mine spent $300 on a starwars galaxies account only to have it taken back. He lost it all.

No there is a no-steam warez out there, I assume thats what he is reffering to. Obviously there is no way to "crack" the game legaly.

steam is useful,
but it give to much power to valve,
it gives your power to valve,
you no longer deside to play hl2 or not,
valve desides for you.

kenyo said:
steam is useful,
but it give to much power to valve,
it gives your power to valve,
you no longer deside to play hl2 or not,
valve desides for you.

In Mother Russia, Steam plays YOU!

But seriously, steam isn't useful in the slightest. There is not one thing steam does that I can't already do. It's bloat.

The people were banned for stealing the steam downloaded HL2. Download HL2 through steam, use crack to unlock game.

The stories you're hearing from people who bought HL2 are ones who tried stealing CS:S and HL:S.

Back