The Grid

Irksome

Reaction score
THE internet could soon be made obsolete. The scientists who pioneered it have now built a lightning-fast replacement capable of downloading entire feature films within seconds.

At speeds about 10,000 times faster than a typical broadband connection, ?the grid? will be able to send the entire Rolling Stones back catalogue from Britain to Japan in less than two seconds.

The latest spin-off from Cern, the particle physics centre that created the web, the grid could also provide the kind of power needed to transmit holographic images; allow instant online gaming with hundreds of thousands of players; and offer high-definition video telephony for the price of a local call.

Link To Article

I can see it now, a 1,000 man 24/7 Dustbowl server.

Ill believe this the day make a renewable resource...

I have a hard time believing this will even come to pass....

"The Grid" doesn't sound as cool as "The Internet".

But we can't replace our beloved interwebs! It has feelings too!

Lucky this, cause I was just reading about how the UK information infrastructure won't be able to keep up within a few years; service providers are too busy trying to undercut each other's profits to actually try and invest in the necessary technology and improve their service.

so what once were known as internet jokes, would be known as the grid jokes? that's stupid.

I'm glad to see they didn't rely on superconductors as originally planned for CERN.

I already have fiber-optic internet though, so whatever gains I could get from the entire internet being based on fiber-optics really wouldn't be noticeable. Overall, it sounds ridiculously expensive to build, but I believe companies like Verizon will convert the entire net to fiber-optics long before the guys at CERN even begin branching out "the grid".

The day when internet download speeds exceeds hard drive write speeds, dawns upon us..

My tutor has mentioned the organisation Radiospire has managed to get Ultra Wide Band transfer speeds of up to 1.6 Gbps, but that is wireless technology, your saying that this is wired tech?

Having the entire Steam catalogue downloaded to your comp in 5 mins ;)

It means Britain alone has 8,000 servers on the grid system – so that any student or academic will theoretically be able to hook up to the grid rather than the internet from this autumn.

The games development course at my local Uni will find this the holy grail of news

Hey, I wonder what wires they use to transfer the data at that speed. HDMI?

I for one welcome our new home.

It might use a different technology but the content shall remain the same. In our hearts it shall simply remains as, "The Internets".

A more efficient and powerful network would be great. Time to find the receipt for the internet and get a refund from Al Gore. :)
My large hard drive can write data at 584 Mbits/s (73 MBytes/s). It would be awesome if my net was that fast. I think I'm at 8 Mbit (1024 KBytes/s) download.

Im all for the Gridernet. Its going to take one hell of a movement to nudge the internet out of the way though.

We should just give the /b/tards the shreds of the internet once everyone leaves. And ban them from the gridernet.

And by a few years they mean available to me and other average gameaholics in 10 years?

Yup. Should have it hooked up in New Zealand by the time I'm fourty. :D

(Looks sheepishly at Grid users', while turning back to my 45.3 Kbps limited interweb connection)

Don't trust the Grid. Have you ever watched The Matrix?

Awesome.

This is because the internet has evolved by linking together a hotchpotch of cables and routing equipment, much of which was originally designed for telephone calls and therefore lacks the capacity for high-speed data transmission.

By contrast, the grid has been built with dedicated fibre optic cables and modern routing centres, meaning there are no outdated components to slow the deluge of data.
Sounds more like the Internet 2.0 - i.e. the Internet with the latest technology and some planning.

Back