The Little Bastard Focus group

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
"Donkey Kong is "lame." Tetris is "boring." Space Invaders "needs a superbomb or something." And why play Pong when it's more fun to "jump up and down on one foot"? Hey, save your irate letters--we didn't say this stuff. The nostalgia-nuking commentary is from our original Child's Play story in EGM's November 2003 issue, in which we had kids of the PlayStation generation playtest classic games from the '70s and '80s. Mortified gaming grown-ups wrote in to call it blasphemy--and call these outspoken scamps a name that rhymes with "brittle truckers."

It was our most popular article ever. So we're doing it again, with a new batch of brittle truckers and a new bucket of classic games."

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3137498

some random comments:

Bobby: Why do all the girls think that Link is a hunk?

EGM: [Asking the girls] Do they?

Dillon: I think just you think that.

EGM: So girls don't think Link's a hunk?

Rachel: No.

Dillon: Gosh no.

Rachel: I like actual humans better than videogame characters.

:LOL:

while playing Star Wars

media

EGM: Isn't that satisfying to destroy the Death Star?

Bobby: Oh, wow-there was a little explosion.

EGM: Are you ready to do it all over again?

Parker: You have to do it again?

Garret: That's what I'm doing right now? Don't you see the Death Star in the background?

Bobby: After you beat the death star level, there should be a snow level, then a small speederbike level. They should make a Matrix game in the theme of Star Wars. So then you take out your sword and run up to a guy and go, "Chiiing!" And after you saw though his head, you fly inside your X-wing.

:LOL:

hehe it's pretty funny what some of these kids think about old school video games ..it's also astounding how little attention span they have ..also I think some of their parents need a kick in the balls ...I mean what's with all the yuppie/preppy names?

Dillon, Garret and Parker?

where's Chastity, Apple and Scout? it's like a freakin soap opera

what ever happened to manly names like Lance and Francis?

Like, making love in a universe that defies physics and common sense?

-Angry Lawyer

Kids....they dont understand what created the gaming culture, they dont know how the old days were...

but we are the veterans, we were there, when Ping pong came...we were there, when ATI-Rage came!!!! WE WERE THERE:..WHEN TRUXTON AND SUPER MARIO CAME.....WE WERE THERE....WHEN DOOM CAME!!!

WE WERE THEEERREE!!! WEVE DONE IT!! WE HAVE EXPERIANCED IT...WE ARE HISTORY!!! WE ARE THE FATHERS OF GAMING!!!! :cheers:

LOVE OLD GAMES!

Surely you know my ex. That's the only explanation.

DAMN KIDS. GET OFF MY LAWN (and into this spike pit) YOU CRAZY YOUNG HOOLIGANS!

Your name makes me want to shout "Mamma Mia! Leaping Lasagne!" etc.

Ravioli said:
Kids....they dont understand what created the gaming culture, they dont know how the old days were...

but we are the veterans, we were there, when Ping pong came...we were there, when ATI-Rage came!!!! WE WERE THERE:..WHEN TRUXTON AND SUPER MARIO CAME.....WE WERE THERE....WHEN DOOM CAME!!!

WE WERE THEEERREE!!! WEVE DONE IT!! WE HAVE EXPERIANCED IT...WE ARE HISTORY!!! WE ARE THE FATHERS OF GAMING!!!! :cheers:

LOVE OLD GAMES!

ummm pong came out in 1975 ..I doubt any of you were "there" ...I was :E

F*ck little kids.

(Note to pedophiles: PLEASE don't interpret that statement literally)

Oh man, that's some funny stuff. I liked the part in the Galaga section where the guy told the little girl that after all the lives were gone you put in another quarter and started from the beginning.

"And you were OK with this?"

I guess I take for granted that not everyone grew up with Combat for the Atari.

I hate little kids.
I hate kids in general. Well, let's see...
I hate people younger than me.
I hate people my age or older that act younger than me.
I ESPECIALLY hate people that are younger than me, but act my age or older.
And I bet when I'm a geezer I'm just gonna hate EVERYONE. might as well get a headstart.

Old games suck compared to new games. (except HL, tetris, and starcraft :D)

That's like saying our ancestors suck compared to us. While that maybe true, you wouldn't be here without them.

kirovman said:
That's like saying our ancestors suck compared to us. While that maybe true, you wouldn't be here without them.

lol no it's not, our ancestors had very similar genetic makeups to us. That's a bad analogy.

Angry Lawyer said:
D:

-Angry Lawyer
: D
I say kill the little mutha ****as!............... Or just inflict some blunt force head trauma.... That will knock some sense into their mindless heads......

Nat Turner said:
lol no it's not, our ancestors had very similar genetic makeups to us. That's a bad analogy.
True. But could they invent Calculus? Or use advanced language? Or do proper gymnastics?

I rest my case.

i loved those games...and i remember the Star Wars one, does that make me old?

Que-Ever said:
I hate little kids.
I hate kids in general. Well, let's see...
I hate people younger than me.
I hate people my age or older that act younger than me.
I ESPECIALLY hate people that are younger than me, but act my age or older.
And I bet when I'm a geezer I'm just gonna hate EVERYONE. might as well get a headstart.

Are you a racist, or do you hate everyone completely equally?

Shodan said:
Are you a racist, or do you hate everyone completely equally?
I am definitely NOT a rascist. Everybody is equally useless.

I've always read it as " Air-rez-thoo".... I think Ether-Sex sounds better

This reminds me of a Chuck Norris thing....

"Walker: Texas Ranger" can be rearranged to spell KARATE WRANGLER SEX... I dunno what that is, but it sounds AWESOME!!!

Ravioli said:

LOVE OLD GAMES!
No... I don't understand the gaming culture... I don't know how the old days were... I don't know when Ping pong came, when Super Mario came, and when Doom came.
I'm a kid, I have experienced most of the stuff you have listed.
:borg: Underestimation :borg:

Kids, huh? The other day I went to play tennis and this kid asks me why I do a thing I usually do. It made me laugh. Another bright one comes up and asks me, "And do you have a girlfriend?" Lol.

don't you just hate how the times are bastardizing? We grew up with everything but everything becomes old to the average person...

edit: just read the actual interviews and I didn't know half the games myself. :(

God I hate this dewy-eyed nostalgia for "old school" games ! its feckin pathetic!
You want old school? Tell you what, I have this wooden bagatelle, its like pinball from the 18th century, and it has no flippers ! How "hardcoresneckinoldschool" is that huh?
And do you know why people would spend hours playing "bagatelle"?
BECAUSE THEY WERE BORED OUT OF THEIR TINY PRIMITIVE MINDS !

Now, does anyone still play bagatelle?

Anyone?

Case closed.

/me raises hand!

heh, I agree ...but it's probably cuz we've both been around since the beginning Saj ..to some of these kids all that is new ..to us it's a reminder of how primitive it was as compared to now

SAJ said:
God I hate this dewy-eyed nostalgia for "old school" games ! its feckin pathetic!
You want old school? Tell you what, I have this wooden bagatelle, its like pinball from the 18th century, and it has no flippers ! How "hardcoresneckinoldschool" is that huh?
And do you know why people would spend hours playing "bagatelle"?
BECAUSE THEY WERE BORED OUT OF THEIR TINY PRIMITIVE MINDS !

Now, does anyone still play bagatelle?

Anyone?

Case closed.

I don't know what bagatelle is. But we used to have this pachinko machine. It was fun... I also used to play Labyrinth, the game where you twist little knobs on the side of a wooden box in feeble pointless attempts to guide a metal ball from one point to another without having it fall in the holes along the way.

Nat Turner said:

So do games. They were built on the programming languages.

The focus group shows just how much the average IQ of each successive generation is dropping.

-Angry Lawyer

Actually, some of these kids are quite perceptive at points.
Kid said:
Dillon: And to think 20 years from now, people are going to think, "Oh, you're playing [GameCube Zelda game] Wind Waker? That's boring."

Back