the obligatory "how is this pc" thread.

mastag

Tank
Reaction score
CPU: (Socket AM2) AMD Athlon?64 X2 4600+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
MOTHERBOARD: (Socket AM2)ABIT KN9 SLI nForce 570 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800 SATA-II RAID 16x PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)1GB (2x512MB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
LCD Monitor: ViewSonic Q19WB 19" 5ms Response Time COLOR TFT Active Matrix SXGA LCD Display Monitor (Black)
SOUND:Creative Labs X-FI XtremeMusic 24-BIT PCI Sound Card

Pretty good, huh? Too bad I don't own it. But if i were to get it in the (probably very distant) future, would it be "crysis ready"?

huge lol @ the 8800 with only 1GB system RAM

The 8800 is an enormous waste at this point anyway.

I think mandatory would have been a better word...

It would be much more 'crysis ready' with 2GB of ram.
You'll probably have some better choices than the 8800 down the road too (even though the 8800 outperforms everything atm.) But the price of the 8800 will go down once those better choices are out...humm.

Basically what Stig said except in a nicer way :p

The cpu is gonna bottleneck the 8800 and the memory is gonna bottleneck your whole system.

Stig, the 8800's are not a waste of money, they deliver a good bang for the buck. Though they cost a LOT they also perform very, very good. At least in DX9...

Crysis ready? wait until the game is out and get the best hardware then not now

Wewt!! within the next week or 2, my pc will =

Core 2 E6300 (Overclocked like a bugger!!)
2 x 1Gb DDR2 (533mhz) ... (possibly OCed?)
Sapphire X1950Pro ultimate 512MB

Im prepared for all the new DX9 games coming out next year! Then in summer Im upgrading to DX10, possibly getting a new 8800 like mastag, Theres no point buying one now tbh, prices will halve later this year! Plus there wont be a great deal of DX10 games for some time this year....
Mastag just got an 8800GTS to add points to his e-penor... -_-
At least it will run every DX9 game maxed out until DX10 is mainstream.

Neptune, what mainboard do you plan on getting?
And you might want to consider getting the X1950XT 256mb instead of the pro 512mb.

Completely agree on the latter.

Neptune, what mainboard do you plan on getting?
And you might want to consider getting the X1950XT 256mb instead of the pro 512mb.

Completely agree on the latter.

1) Keeping same mobo for now its an ASRock 775Twins-HDTV R2.0
2) Cant afford it (They will both play most games maxed out anyway)

Then I wouldn't have my hopes up too much about a good overclock if I were you.

Then I wouldn't have my hopes up too much about a good overclock if I were you.

Why not. I have had this P4 from 3- 3.6ghz no prob
Its the hottest, most horrible CPU ever

I quote: "I currently have my E66 @ 3060MHz in the Asrock 775Twins-HDTV R2.0 without any mods"
Im getting the E63 though, but I hear good things with DDR2 as opposed to DDR1

edit 1 million: been googling about and Ive been hearing praise for my board when overclocking core 2 with DDR2

For getting a good overclock with the e6300 your mainboard needs to cope with an enourmous fsb. e6600 @ 3060 runs at 9x 340. But the highest multiplier of the e6300 is 7, that would make 7x340 = 2380mhz. If you're that lucky.

Would be good except only 1GB of memory. 2GB (2x 1GB) would be a lot better. Also I think I have heard people have had issues with Abit boards that use Nvidia's chipsets. Or maybe it was just that they sucked at OCing... Anyway Abit isn't the same company they used to be and out source a lot of their stuff. Although their mainboard with the ATI chipset has got a lot of great reviews.

And if you are buying all new why not get a Core 2 Duo instead? But that AMD CPU is far from a bottleneck to the GFU. (The only reason you see a CPU do better than another at low resolution but not at high resolution is because by running low resolution benchmarks they are taking the GFU out of the picture. Not creating a bottleneck. If you saw a big difference on the high resolution benchmarks then it would be a bottleneck to the GPU.)

Back