The Orange Box TV Spot

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
Valve debuted it's new TV spot for The Orange Box at Digital Life 2007 today. You can watch it here on GameTrailers.com. too bad it's not direct feed video though it's worth watching.[br] Remember the Orange Box is coming Oct 10th, so pre-order now and be a part of Team Fortress 2 Beta.

That was cool, though it didn't really show what portal is. people will be thinking WTF was that?

Also calling half life 2 the best game of all time is a bit over the top.

is it just me or does the ashpd emit some sort of trails while creating a portal?
i've never noticed it before

I dont like it, they need more TF2 action, the laughing heavy is great... the electric voice is pretty lame too.

It's fine for a TV spot, I think, but the TF2 clip needed to be expanded by just a few seconds - it cuts off as the mayhem starts.

Looks bad in my opinion. The voice is unclear, the individual action is too short and nobody will understand what each of the games is.

They should have 3 spots - focusing on each game, with a "Buy it now as part of The Orange Box" tag at the end.

Disappointing Valve :(

Of course, I could like it if/when I see a direct feed.

I like how they replaced the zero with the games logos. Wish it was a bit longer though.

TV spot = TV commercial?

Polished, but the game footage doesn't show enough to really be capable of piquing interest IMO.

I freaking hate that voice. If I didnt know so much about the orange box, and I saw that commercial, then I would be put off.

that was a horrible commercial. I hate EA. The online trailers for orange box were better. At least I saw some new footage..

I think its nice. Sure looks cool but ya, needs to be more clear. Hope we see more of these and soon enough we will be breaking the Halo 3 crap central records.

Too short to show all 3 games, they'd be as well to show 'meet the soldier' or 'meet the heavy' on TV because their hilarious.

Does anyone know the Orange Box rating?

I think the commercial said T (teen) to M (mature) at the end. Not sure which games got which rating, but I'd guess T for Portal and TF2 and M for HL2/Ep1/Ep2.

Those are ESRB ratings, I assume.

So, how will anyone who hasn't played any of these games know what they are all about? Disappointing to say the least.

Instead of spending so much time on non-gameplay footage they should have let the games sell themselves. Portal for example doesn't immediately scream 'puzzle game using next-gen tech'. The 3rd-person view of the Heavy in the TF2 section doesn't tell you the game is a team multiplayer played from the first-person perspective. The HL2 is a bit better as it shows it's sci-fi, and with Alyx turning her gaze towards you it at least tells you she's an NPC and therefore HL2 is a singleplayer.

But really this ad has been done poorly.

What a completely shit ad. :|

It was OK. Not knowing what the hell these games are about will hopefuly make people look into it, and buy it.

Well unlike some ads at least it got to the bloody point quickly enough. Other than that it fails to actually describe what the heck the product is.

Here's a better ad:-

"I am heavy weapons Guy, and this is my gun, Sasha"
*pats Sasha
and this is what we do"
*Grins
Cue Cutscene of HWG kicking major ass in TF2 with Sasha for 20 seconds or so laughing insanely
*questioning look
"think you can beat me?"
*laughs
*Cue Orange Box blurb
*shot of Heavy doing 'kapow taunt'

Half the lines already exist and it wouldn't be difficult to make the rest

Awesome, the GLaDOS voice rules "The best game of the year" :D

I didn't like the voice, but if you can understand it, hailing a game as "the best of all time" (whether it's true or not) will either way grab attention.

I think the Episode Two section was done the best, since it was all done from perspectives that show that it is an FPS (as somebody mentioned earlier). Nice shots of Alyx/Portal Storm and a Hunter. The Portal and TF2 sections were too brief and vague.

Still, any advertising is better than none. I cheered when I saw it the first time. :p

Here's a better ad:-

"I am heavy weapons Guy, and this is my gun, Sasha"
*pats Sasha
and this is what we do"
*Grins
Cue Cutscene of HWG kicking major ass in TF2 with Sasha for 20 seconds or so laughing insanely
*questioning look
"think you can beat me?"
*laughs
*Cue Orange Box blurb
*shot of Heavy doing 'kapow taunt'

Half the lines already exist and it wouldn't be difficult to make the rest

Doesn't show any of the other games.

Oh man, Portal looked so ****ing delicious in that.

I can't understand what GlaDOS is saying when she's describing Portal.

"Brain-melting *something*"

Also, I'm interested in knowing which game got the T rating...Ep.2 is obviously going to get an M, TF2 is pretty gory(in a cartoony way) and has some bad language courtesy of the sniper, and Portal's story looks like it'll be quite dark from what we know.

EDIT: Checked the ESRB website and it's Portal, which has "Blood, Mild Violence". The other two both have M ratings.

Doesn't show any of the other games.

My point is that 30 seconds isn't enough to cover all 3 well..but for one it is good. I guess that escaped you. Anyhows they like the suggestion, but unfortunately wouldn't be able to get away with it for TV because of the violence apparently....bizarre given the US TV diet...:dozey:

Back