The role of the g-man in Opfor

Reaction score
I just happen to realize something. Stick with it, it's not some kind of a wild theory. Let me know your thoughts

G-man put eyes on Adrien Shepard as he did to Gordon Freeman, even after Gordon accepted his offer (assuming. If we don't start thinking that Adrian Shepard was a second choice in case Gordon refuses the deal? or is the g-man is a collector?). However when G-man finally meet up with Adrian Shepard he tells him how he admires Shepard survival against all odds (and also noted that this reminded him of himself), but he said that his employers are not quiet so trusting Adrian Shepard for he may be temped to talk and tell anyone else what he saw.

The question it raises is what Shepard saw?
Was it the black mesa incident? which in the case of HL2, the whole world already knows about the incident since they are all involved now. So the g-man may find use in Adrian Shepard. This may also suggest that the government employs the g-man.

Or was it race X and probably other things we happen to see as we stood in the boots of Shepard?

One way or another, apparently there is plenty of empty space in the storyline to fit in the role of Shepard into further Half-Life titles.

That's my thoughts

Half Life 1 and its accompanying expansion packs are all non-canon. Apart from Uplink.

To be truthful, I think Adrian Shepard's continuing tale is best told by fans. He has no place in the main story now. In fact, if some plot points that may or may not come to fruition in Episode 2 could indicate that it was Black Mesa's research and technology he had seen too much of.

Episode 2 spoilers:
What with the supposed rivalry between BM and Aperture, perhaps he was putting him somewhere he couldn't be reached... maybe.

Half Life 1 and its accompanying expansion packs are all non-canon. Apart from Uplink.

To be truthful, I think Adrian Shepard's continuing tale is best told by fans. He has no place in the main story now. In fact, if some plot points that may or may not come to fruition in Episode 2 could indicate that it was Black Mesa's research and technology he had seen too much of.

Episode 2 spoilers:
What with the supposed rivalry between BM and Aperture, perhaps he was putting him somewhere he couldn't be reached... maybe.

Why not? From EP1 I understand the g-man is in trouble, someone took Gordon away from him and he said "We will see about that" could be cool if all of a sudden he would raise Shepard an old foe of Gordon who also reminded him of himself thus makes him a favorite choice; to kick some a**. After all Shepard survived a greater deal than Gordon, if you compare the Xen aliens with the trouble the X race aliens had caused, he seemed to be the only survival left alive (thanks to g-man who saved him before the Nuke went off).

Also I've heard a few months ago an official announcement mentioning Shepard, I don't remember what it was all about, but it feels as if VALVe did not forget about him. If they add Shepard in, this will complicate things in a very interesting way with addition to what is already being cooked at VALVe's kitchen

Can't wait for EP2 to find out more. I really hope they won't forget Shepard, that could spoil for many fans the expectations for a good connection

I just don't see why Adrian had to kill that giant squid thing if it was going to die in the nuke anyways.

I thought all of the expansions were canon...

I just don't see why Adrian had to kill that giant squid thing if it was going to die in the nuke anyways.

He had to kill something.. He felt it was the climax and he couldn't let go and just walk away back to the elevator. I guess he was optimistic.

Other way around. Uplink is non-canon. The expansions are. :p

I think that the g-man though that Adrian was good enough to keep as a whim, but not on par with Gordon and therefore not worth actually using. Or perhaps he realised that Gordon would get status that would later be useful, but Adrian would be unknown. Either way, he decided that Gordon should be employed, but Adrian only preserved, if only because he couldn't let him leave.

Or maybe the g-man didn't want word of Race-X getting around.
<_<
>_>

I think that the g-man though that Adrian was good enough to keep as a whim, but not on par with Gordon and therefore not worth actually using. Or perhaps he realised that Gordon would get status that would later be useful, but Adrian would be unknown. Either way, he decided that Gordon should be employed, but Adrian only preserved, if only because he couldn't let him leave.

<_<
>_>

Just for the argument, The g-man actually liked Shepard but his Boss couldn't trust him. The g-man (probably as easily assumed by the g-man words:) argued with his employers about Shepard's fate and they made an agreement to keep Adrian alive somewhere he can do no possible harm (harm? what's cooking?) and where no harm can come to him. And left him nowhere.

The g-man gives the impression he's just around the storyline to see what happens. But I don't think anymore that he has all the answers, otherwise he wouldn't have this all trouble. EP1 is actually showing us that the g-man has a weakness and he doesn't really have a free will to play god

Edit: Hey, if he really gonna use Adrian to get rid of Gordon, that would actually make sense about what the Nihilanth had told us: "..Deceived you will be deceived.." or was it "..Deceive you he will deceive you..."
What is for sure, he said "You are man...he is not man...for you he waits...for you..."

Edit: Or was it just mumble just as the adviser of earth said to us at the end of the game (Dr. Breen) so he's Nihilanth, the combine adviser of the border world, Xen. Although Breen said the truth: it's all going to blow up..

Why would his employers allow him to take Gordon but not Adrian? Hmmm. Perhaps tehy figured letting him have one was sufficient and they didn't want to risk him having the both of them and getting too powerful.

We won't see him again, because <put fact here>.

Why would his employers allow him to take Gordon but not Adrian? Hmmm. Perhaps tehy figured letting him have one was sufficient and they didn't want to risk him having the both of them and getting too powerful.

They could trust Gordon.

I just happen to realize something. Stick with it, it's not some kind of a wild theory. Let me know your thoughts

G-man put eyes on Adrien Shepard as he did to Gordon Freeman, even after Gordon accepted his offer (assuming. If we don't start thinking that Adrian Shepard was a second choice in case Gordon refuses the deal? or is the g-man is a collector?). However when G-man finally meet up with Adrian Shepard he tells him how he admires Shepard survival against all odds (and also noted that this reminded him of himself), but he said that his employers are not quiet so trusting Adrian Shepard for he may be temped to talk and tell anyone else what he saw.

The question it raises is what Shepard saw?
Was it the black mesa incident? which in the case of HL2, the whole world already knows about the incident since they are all involved now. So the g-man may find use in Adrian Shepard. This may also suggest that the government employs the g-man.

Or was it race X and probably other things we happen to see as we stood in the boots of Shepard?

One way or another, apparently there is plenty of empty space in the storyline to fit in the role of Shepard into further Half-Life titles.

That's my thoughts

This makes me wonder... Maybe Gordon is mute... After all, we know Adrien could talk, because at boot camp he told the drill sergeant his name. What's funny about this was that I figured that the group commands in HL2 were proof that gordon could talk, but hell, maybe they watch so closely to him that they see him gesture. This is CONFUSING ME! AAAAAAAAAAGH!

This makes me wonder... Maybe Gordon is mute... After all, we know Adrien could talk, because at boot camp he told the drill sergeant his name. What's funny about this was that I figured that the group commands in HL2 were proof that gordon could talk, but hell, maybe they watch so closely to him that they see him gesture. This is CONFUSING ME! AAAAAAAAAAGH!

Mossman tells Gordon to calm down while he's being scanned at BME. Further evidence?

Mossman tells Gordon to calm down while he's being scanned at BME. Further evidence?

No, cause what if he was supposed to shoot a rocket at the window, and nearly blow it up, then she tells him to calm down because pf it? WE WILL NEVER KNOW!!!

No, cause what if he was supposed to shoot a rocket at the window, and nearly blow it up, then she tells him to calm down because pf it? WE WILL NEVER KNOW!!!

He didn't have rockets at the time.

So we do know.

Actually you can't tell if he did tell the Sgt his name because he could find it written on his gear right next to him. I'm sure none of them is muted, it's all about the player being in the protagonist's boots.

<_<
>_>

Technically speaking, Uplink was orignally going to be a part of HL1, but they needed something for the demo, so they cut it out :)

I'm watching you because you said Race-X. Any time Race-X is mentioned, I am instantly summoned across the boards to the thread.

What Shepherd saw probably was about Race-X. He probably learned their terrible secret, as I have. Trust me on this: it's a secret best left contained.

I'm watching you because you said Race-X. Any time Race-X is mentioned, I am instantly summoned across the boards to the thread.

What Shepherd saw probably was about Race-X. He probably learned their terrible secret, as I have. Trust me on this: it's a secret best left contained.

race x

do i get a ban? :O

Shephard was put into storage because the g-man didn't want him to reveal secrets about Race-X to the general populace and confuse people about the canon.

race x

do i get a ban? :O
You get the evil eye. I'm telling you man, you don't want to talk about Race-X. It's for your own safety. I'm trying to protect the board from something terrible!

Riomhaire said:
Shephard was put into storage because the g-man didn't want him to reveal secrets about Race-X to the general populace and confuse people about the canon.
Yesss, that's it. That's the terrible secret! I've seen it firsthand; truly, it is one of the most horrible things you could experience.

Here's the real rub. The last thing the G-man says to you is thus:

"...we have decided to convey you somewhere you can do no possible harm, and where no harm can come to you. I'm sure you can imagine there are worse alternatives."

How could Shepherd have done harm? You might think it's exposing something he saw, by talking about it, but there were other survivors of the BMRF incident who weren't similarly contained; whether this was by oversight or insignificance, who can say, but the truth of the matter isn't that he would have TOLD anyone anything.

Adrian Shepherd, upon trying to think of Race-X in canonical context to the Half-Life universe, quite literally...went mad. He would have been a danger to society.

You get the evil eye. I'm telling you man, you don't want to talk about Race-X. It's for your own safety. I'm trying to protect the board from something terrible!

Yesss, that's it. That's the terrible secret! I've seen it firsthand; truly, it is one of the most horrible things you could experience.

Here's the real rub. The last thing the G-man says to you is thus:

"...we have decided to convey you somewhere you can do no possible harm, and where no harm can come to you. I'm sure you can imagine there are worse alternatives."

How could Shepherd have done harm? You might think it's exposing something he saw, by talking about it, but there were other survivors of the BMRF incident who weren't similarly contained; whether this was by oversight or insignificance, who can say, but the truth of the matter isn't that he would have TOLD anyone anything.

Adrian Shepherd, upon trying to think of Race-X in canonical context to the Half-Life universe, quite literally...went mad. He would have been a danger to society.

Mystery solved! Shepard was a psychic locked in his room.. the whole Opposing Force storyline. It was all just in his head. He was actually locked in a madhouse inside the Black Mesa and without awareness, broke free and had killed all that encountered his way. He actually though he was playing a video game called "Opposing Force", Half-Life (1) expansion pack. What a said story.. when he ran out of drugs, the g-man had to put an end to all of this..

By surviving as far as he did, Shep was exposed to unknown alien influences and energies that could have cause problems for the rest of Earth (and G-man's later plans); without even having to speak to another human being. Like a bad case of space cooties.

There were no other survivors (except Gordon) who survived quite as far, and G-Man's employers might have considered it worth keeping him as an interesting "specimen" of the human race as it was before...

Letting him go home would also have set him up to eventually be killed by the Black Ops forces that he interfered with at Black Mesa.

It was better for G-Man's plans to just use Shep to tie up loose ends at BM, them "retire" his agent to better cover his tracks. Plus I don't think Shep went mad, but he probably wasn't as suited to dealing with alternative universes and temporal paradoxes as Gordon would be.

I do think G-Man tries to hide his involvement in events as much as possible, to not call the attention of competing agencies to what he is up to.

Shephard would have been a danger to others (especially are new, Vortigaunt allies) because of his fetish for sticking his hand up aliens' asses. eg: The barnacle, the baby Race-X and the Shock Roach.

Although Barney spent less time in post-Cascade Black Mesa than Shepard, he spent considerably more time in Xen, so he would've caught any "space cooties" that Shepard might've had. And yet the G-Man allowed him and all the scientists with him to escape unharmed from BM.

Although Barney spent less time in post-Cascade Black Mesa than Shepard, he spent considerably more time in Xen, so he would've caught any "space cooties" that Shepard might've had. And yet the G-Man allowed him and all the scientists with him to escape unharmed from BM.

I think he was too much busy with his main "test subjects" to pay attention to all other survivals

Answer: To set the f*cking nuke after you deactivate it.

Back