the rumours that valve made (or the pc mags)

commando

Reaction score
I love valve so this isn't a "trolling" thread.

just an thread to clear somethings up maybe.

Things i remember reading from Pc magazines were..

1) Half Life 2 going to be twice as long as the original from 30-40hrs of gameplay

2) every building is destructable

3) fire spreads non-scripted (i think this is still going to be added hopes

4) non-scripted events

5) they said in the past they were keeping quiet about MP (but this could be CS:S which is fab)

6) the combine have radios so they can call back up.

well basically this thread is about. Are some of these still going to happen? are some of these lies/rumours?

commando said:

When did they claim that? Sounds like BS to me.

4) non-scripted events

I'm rather sure that they never said this, mostly because IT'S IMPOSSIBLE! You'd have to create an artificial intelligence on par with a real human brain.

Thing is: the line between scripted and unscripted has just become more vague. That's all.

i remember way back them talking about a system were online you would talk and you character would lip sync to that.
im not sure that would be in the game or if it was one of their desires
Would be cool though

Spartan said:
When did they claim that? Sounds like BS to me.

I'm rather sure that they never said this, mostly because IT'S IMPOSSIBLE! You'd have to create an artificial intelligence on par with a real human brain.

Thing is: the line between scripted and unscripted has just become more vague. That's all.
Doom³ made clear what scripted is for me :p

commando said:
I love valve so this isn't a "trolling" thread.

just an thread to clear somethings up maybe.

Things i remember reading from Pc magazines were..

1) Half Life 2 going to be twice as long as the original from 30-40hrs of gameplay

3) fire spreads non-scripted (i think this is still going to be added hopes

4) non-scripted events

5) they said in the past they were keeping quiet about MP (but this could be CS:S which is fab)

6) the combine have radios so they can call back up.

well basically this thread is about. Are some of these still going to happen? are some of these lies/rumours?

They said that material is destructable, according to the type, not that buildings are destructable. To reduce amount of polygons they simply made noteable areas on the building destructable (i.e. Doors, windows)

There's been discusion before about what could be considered scripted and what might not. For me it's quite simple, the Bink where the combine kick the door open... that wouldn't have happened if Gordon hadn't hidden in the building, therefore it's not running on rails. Ok the AI may basicaly be a script but I don't care as long as it's responding rather than a set piece.

I think people should stop the "AI is scripting too" thing... When most of us say scripted, we mean a thing that will always ( Or almost) be the same when you play it again.

wilka91 said:
I'm disappointed about the length!
If you played through constantly without dying once and didn't explore all the nooks and crannies, it would still take you a day and a half and that doesn't sound good!? No pleasing some people.

el Chi said:
If you played through constantly without dying once and didn't explore all the nooks and crannies, it would still take you a day and a half and that doesn't sound good!? No pleasing some people.

Isn't HL2 supposed to be 18-20 hours long on normal? That's less than a day. :p

Reviewers on a deadline have averaged about 20 hours, which is still long for an FPS. However, they say that one could easily add another 5 to 10 hours to that if you take your time to explore and experiment. Furthermore, they've said the game is highly replayable.

Don't worry. I'm sure Half-Life 2 will us our money's worth.

Im alot happier with 20 hours of tweaked polished goodness, than 50 hours of rushed buggy shite.

Max Payne 2 barely lasted 6 hours for me, but the game was solid bug-free and finished, doom3 seemed to go on and on with repetative content and worked out around 18 hours, by that time in games i just wanna get to the end.

If half-life 2 can last 20 hours of solid play and still have you wanting more, then its a damn good game, and bring on the expansions!

Ive heard about the "non scripted" things... like in one video: You push a table infront of a door. Combines try to open the door.. they fail, so they start shooting in windows and throwing grenades, after a while they kick the door in. That is not scripted... its all AI... ^^

KagePrototype said:

There is not set time of completion , it allll depends on whos playing and how u play so it can take 5hours -5 years no 1 knows and im sure no 1 realy cares if ya think about it. it will b fine w/e

KagePrototype said:
Yeah, but the first fella mentioned 30-40. Although I did think that sounded a bit off... :) To be honest, I intend to immerse myself as much as possible and piss about as much as possible - oooh I can hardly wait.

Alieni² said:
Ive heard about the "non scripted" things... like in one video: You push a table infront of a door. Combines try to open the door.. they fail, so they start shooting in windows and throwing grenades, after a while they kick the door in. That is not scripted... its all AI... ^^

Yes , they have said the A.I can do that , also the combines listen, e.g ur hiding in a room, u made a rustle and the combine would look through the window, if he see's u then he goes to the door , if not then through the window.

All this has been said in many PC mag reveiws.

KurtCobain said:
Yes , they have said the A.I can do that , also the combines listen, e.g ur hiding in a room, u made a rustle and the combine would look through the window, if he see's u then he goes to the door , if not then through the window.

All this has been said in many PC mag reveiws.

Indeed. Points to valve for making such a great AI

The thing is no FPS developer - even one as talented as Valve - could possibly maintain consistent quality for more than 25 hours at the most and I think that's pushing it. A gameplay time of 30 to 40 hours should be for RPGs only - where story exposition isn't nearly as important.

A great FPS relies on a compelling storyline and great gameplay to drive events forward otherwise you get the occassional spot of brilliance among hours of bland mediocrity.

how can they gague replayability after a 20 hour session?
impossible.

most games are 15-20 hours ;) call of duty i would say is 15hrs gameplay.

basically hl2 if it is 20-25-30-40hrs then that basically means...

1) 20hours none stop playing then u will complete it.
2) 20hours none stop playing KNOWING what you are doing from start to finish and not stopping to look and play with phsics and annoying combine and exploring dead ends.

what eva time they say, i plan on taking it slow and exploring all areas ;) so who knows maybe 100hrs+ for me hehe

20 hours is good. I just played Deus Ex for the 6th time. And again i found so many new ways to beat it. Took me about 24 hours to beat.

100 hours? you'll be bored out of your brain.

i try not to drag things out.

All the reviews say each area is a different type of game style that sounds great.I get bored of power gaming run and shot.

20 hours sounds ok i know i will take double that on hard looking at every poster in city 17 and messing around with the grav gun

i remember reading in a pc mag, that valve said the player can wonder around the streets for HOURS ON END! just exploring/talking to people/playing with phsics...

that is exactly what i will be doing.

He said that people wondering the streets come up and say to you..."haven't i seen u somewhere before?" "dont i know you"

Back